5/23/11 LIVE RAW COVERAGE (Title Change)
– We see the in memory of “Macho Man” Randy Savage (1958-2011) graphic to open the show.
* Live from Portland, Oregon – welcomed by Josh Mathews
– Jerry “The King” Lawler makes his way to down the entrance ramp. King enters the ring and declares that Michael Cole has been beaten. Fans chanted, “Jerry, Jerry.” Lawler introduces Bret “The Hitman” Hart. Hart is glad to be back on Monday night Raw. Hart says he has zero respect for Michael Cole, as The King joins the announce table. Hart is interrupted by R-Truth, who makes his way down to the ring. R-Truth says he has had zero title matches. He said it might be because he never cared about the little Jimmies. Truth puts sunglasses on a kid at ringside, and said he should be next in line for a title shot. Truth said he might have to take out a hall of famer to get noticed. Hart said he got title matches because he is the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be. Hart told Truth he doesn’t get title matches because he’s a lunatic. Here comes John Cena. Cena calls Truth back into the ring. Cena welcomes Bret Hart back to a WWE ring, as Hitman congrats Cena on his title victory last night. Truth tells Cena doesn’t know anything about him. Truth said he never liked Cena. Truth said he doesn’t care about the fans, he cares about himself. The Raw GM buzzes in, and according to Josh Mathews, R-Truth needs to show more. For tonight, he books R-Truth and CM Punk vs. John Cena and Rey Mysterio with Bret Hart serving as the special guest referee.
– Backstage, Big Show and Kane are talking, as show sits on a convertible. Richardo comes in and speaks Spanish, but Show tosses him down. Alberto Del Rio yells at the tag team champs in Spanish, and they just walk away.
(1) Tag Team title match: Michael McGullicutty and David Otunga vs. Tag Team champions Big Show and Kane. CM Punk joined the announce table (with Mason Ryan standing behind him). Two minutes into the match, we take a commercial break. Double DDT (McGullicutty and Otunga) on Big Show after Punk kicked Big Show from behind (with the referee distracted), allowing McGullicutty to pin Show to win the tag team titles at 8:56. Nexus celebrates, and Show and Kane look on in frustration.
— We are shown an autograph signing of Randy Orton at Walmart to promote his movie on DVD.
— We see a replay of Nexus winning the straps.
— Backstage, Big Show and Kane are frustrated. Alberto Del Rio comes in and slaps Big Show and runs. Big Show is hit by a car backstage, as Kane screams for help. The paramedics arrive to attend to a totally frustrated Show. It appears the car struck his right knee. His growling in pain sounds like Chewbacca from Star Wars.
– Back from a break, paramedics are still attending to Big Show. Show wants to get up, and says he is alright. He tells everybody he is fine. Show refuses the stretcher.
(2) Jack Swagger vs. Evan Bourne. Swagger wins in 2:08. After the match, as Swagger celebrated, Bourne nailed Swagger.
– Backstage, Michael Cole is walking around. Cole offers his hand to Eve, who offers him her lifted boot.
– Box office update for The Rock’s “Fast Five,” a mere $506 million worldwide.
– Justin Roberts introduces Michael Cole, who makes his way down to ringside. Fans start a “you suck toe” chant. Cole said he has come out to apologize to Lawler, Mathews, the camera guy, everybody in the building for his behavior. Lawler thanks Cole for being professional, and shows a picture of Cole kissing his foot at last night’s PPV and offers him breath mints. Cole is back at the announce table.
– Out comes The Miz and Alex Riley. The Miz said the only reason he didn’t win the WWE title last night was because of Alex Riley. We see the title reverse three weeks ago because Riley held the WWE title belt. Miz talked about last night’s WWE title being restarted. Miz asks the Raw GM to give him another shot with Riley being banned from ring side. After several moments, the GM finally chimes in and denies his request. GM said The Miz is done with John Cena. The Miz goes nuts on Riley. Riley said he wasn’t the one that said he quit. Miz slaps Riley. Miz said Riley is a disappointment, and that he sick of him. “You are fired!” proclaimed Miz. Riley went after Miz as they brawled out of the ring. Fans chanted, “Riley, Riley!” Riley kicks The Miz and storms off.
– 11 minutes and 4 seconds of actual wrestling time thus far, with a commercial break tossed in.
(3) The Bellas, Melina and Maryse vs. Beth Phoenix, Gail Kim, Kelly Kelly, and Eve Torres. Twenty seven seconds in, Kharma’s music hits. All the divas stand and await her arrival. Kharma walks into the ring, surrounded by the other divas. She falls to her knees, and appears to be upset. Back from a break, we see Kharma shedding a tear.
(4) Drew McIntyre vs. U.S. champion Kofi Kingston. Kingston gets the pin fall victory at 4:24. Backstage, We see Dolph Ziggler and Vickie Guerrero watching the match. Ziggler hair appears to be blonde again.
– We see the Capital Punishment promo with the Obama footage.
– Backstage, we see a happy Nexus with the tag team titles.
– We re-live the Big Show car accident. Alberto Del Rio said Big Show brought this on his own, and blames it on his ring announcer.
– We see a “Macho Man” Randy Savage tribute video. Ok, time to dry the eyes. Great video, classy move for WWE to air it. Rest in Peace “Macho Man.”
(5) R-Truth and CM Punk vs. WWE champion John Cena and Rey Mysterio. Bret “The Hitman” Hart is the special guest referee. Commercial break after the match starts. CM Punk is paying homage to “Macho Man” Randy Savage with his gear tonight. Truth and Hart exchanges words. Hart nails Punk, and put the sharp shooter on Punk as Mysterio dropped the leg, and pinned Punk at 9:40. The babyfaces celebrate in the ring as Raw goes off the air.