WWE RAW Report – 2/22/16
– Tonight’s WWE RAW opens up with a look at the main event of Fastlane last night. We go to the normal RAW opening video.
– We’re live from the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, Michigan as the pyro goes off, just 41 days away from WrestleMania 32. Michael Cole welcomes us and he’s joined by Byron Saxton and JBL.
– We see the Vincent J. McMahon Legacy of Excellence Award in the ring as we go to the announcers. They plug Roman Reigns vs. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Triple H at WrestleMania 32. They also show the video of Brock Lesnar attacking Dean Ambrose outside of the arena earlier today. Cole says Ambrose was taken to a local medical facility and has undergone tests for most of the evening. Cole says Lesnar and Paul Heyman will be here later tonight.
– We go to the ring and out comes Vince McMahon to present the first-ever Vincent J. McMahon Legacy of Excellence Award, named after his father. Lilian Garcia introduces him.
Vince says tonight is a night we will never, ever forget because tonight we present the first Vincent J. McMahon Legacy of Excellence Award. Fans are giving him the “what?” treatment already. Vince starts talking about how his family has been presenting sports entertainment for more than 100 years. He calls his father a legend. Vince says it is his pleasure to introduce the recipient, Stephanie McMahon.
Stephanie comes out and fans boo. Vince praises her and gets emotional, talking about how she is like his father. Fans boo louder as she had a statement prepared, even though she says she didn’t know she was winning. She goes on and is interrupted by Shane McMahon to a big pop.
The crowd goes nuts as Shane makes his way to the ring and dances around. They chant “this is awesome” and “holy shit” and more. The music stops and Vince goes to hug Shane but Shane puts his hand up and stops Vince. Fans chant Shane’s name. He takes the mic and thanks the fans for the reaction. Shane says he has to handle business real quick. He says he’s back because this award is the straw that broke the camel’s back. He says the award is a good idea but should be given to someone deserving, and that’s not Stephanie. He says hello to Stephanie but says he’s sorry she’s not deserving of the award. Vince tells him to be nice and says maybe they should talk backstage. Shane says Vince had his chance, they could have talked days ago. Vince always told him to man up, do things face to face and in the ring. Shane says that’s what they’re doing tonight. He says it’s all getting done tonight. Stephanie says this is her moment, it’s not about Shane. She says it’s her legacy. Fans boo.
Shane says she hasn’t earned it. She reminds him he hasn’t been around for 6 or 7 years and has been watching from home while she and her husband ran WWE with their blood, sweat and tears. Shane asks Vince if Stephanie “knows” and apparently she doesn’t. Shane informs Stephanie that she and Triple H have been running the company into the ground. Shane brings up stock, ratings, talent injuries and says it’s all been under her watch. Stephanie says he’s nothing more than a quitter and tells him to get the hell out of her ring. Fans boo. Shane says #1, it’s her father’s ring. Shane says she doesn’t understand what’s going on here. He asks if Vince wants to tell her now and he doesn’t want to get into the details now. Shane says several years ago, Vince messed up big time and who was there to save the day? Shane. Shane says he and Vince cut a deal where Shane was able to go off and do what he wanted to do, build some businesses, but he never lost his “place in line” with WWE. Stephanie says this is ridiculous and says nothing happens in WWE’s business that she doesn’t know about. Shane says the only reason she’s been able to climb so high is because he let it happen. She asks Vince and says there’s no way any of this is true. Vince looks worried as fans do the “yes!” chant. Vince just wants to have a word with Shane. Stephanie says they have a little something called WrestleMania coming up and says if Shane wants to come, maybe she can get him a ticket. Vince thanks her and says he wants to have a word with Shane, he and Stephanie will talk later. She keeps asking if it’s true and he puts her off. Vince finally admits there’s some truth to it. Shane says it’s all true. He says at the time, it was “best for business.” Shane holds the ropes as Stephanie leaves the ring. She stops on his face and says she will never forgive him for this. Fans sing “goodbye” to Stephanie as Shane looks on. Vince gets riled up and asks what this is all about. He says he has his checkbook and will write Shane another check if he wants. Vince says name your price. Shane says it’s not about money, it’s never been about money. He says he left big money on the table just to get out from under Vince.
Shane talks about having freedom from Vince now. He talks about the McMahon family generations and his three kids at home. He wants this business to be around for the 6th and 7th generations of McMahons but it’s not looking like it will be around at this rate. Shane says he wants full control of Monday Night RAW. Vince laughs and says that’s a good one. Vince points out Shane would be controlling the whole company if he controls RAW. Vince says things have changed, WWE is a public company now. He says Shane can’t just step in where he left off. Vince says Shane is just itching for a fight, he just came to embarrass Vince and Stephanie. The crowd pops when Vince says people want Shane to run RAW. Vince says people have no clue. Vince says he will give Shane what he wants if Shane has 1 match on 1 night. Vince says if Shane wins his match, he gets his wish. If he loses, Vince wants the key to a lock box Shane has, so Shane will never hold anything over his head again. Vince says he gets to pick the opponent and location. Fans chant “you still got it” as Shane thinks it over. Shane says Vince has a deal and they shake hands. Vince says he has one last opportunity to do something that gets heavily edited by the censors. Vince says one last beating. Shane remembers those beatings but says they only made him stronger. He says Vince is on. Vince says he’s going to name a place and opponent almost as big as Shane’s ego. The place will be WrestleMania 32. The opponent will be The Undertaker. The match will be Hell In a Cell. Shane looks surprised and we go to commercial.
The New Day vs. The Lucha Dragons and Neville
Back from the break and out comes Neville followed by WWE United States Champion Kalisto and Sin Cara. WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day are out next. The babyfaces get the upperhand early on and we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Xavier Woods gets the double team from Cara and Kalisto. Neville comes in with a moonsault for a 2 count. Neville keeps Woods grounded now. Woods finally looks to turn it around but wastes time. Neville nails a superkick but Kofi Kingston tags in. Neville fights him off but Big E comes in with a big belly to belly. Big E dances around and yells about running things. They stomp away and do quick tags on Neville in the corner now.
We come back from another commercial break and The New Day is still in control. Cara finally gets a hot tag and unloads on the champions. Cara brings Kofi back in and gets a close 2 count that Big E breaks up. Kalisto takes out Big E with a springboard dropkick. Woods tosses Kalisto to the floor. Neville and Woods go at it now. Neville with big kicks. Woods tosses him to the floor but gets kicked in the mouth. Big E charges but Neville moves and he lands on the floor. Neville with a kick to the face of Woods. Neville nails a 450 from the apron to Big E on the floor. Kalisto runs and jumps off Neville’s back and splashes onto Woods. Cara and Kofi go at it in the ring. It looks like Kofi pulls at Cara’s mask and nails Trouble In Paradise for the win.
Winners: The New Day
– JoJo is backstage with Roman Reigns for an update on Dean Ambrose. All he knows is what he saw in the video, Brock Lesnar put Dean Ambrose through a windshield. He says Ambrose is at the hospital getting checked out. She asks about WrestleMania 32. He says he’s been waiting for this, there will be no more corporate tricks, just he and Triple H for the WWE World Heavyweight Title. Reigns says he likes his odds and walks off.
– Still to come, Lesnar and Heyman will speak. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and out comes Brock Lesnar with Paul Heyman. They hit the ring and fans chant for Suplex City. Heyman does the introductions and says this is the main event of the evening. Heyman understands Lesnar isn’t even in his wrestling gear but he says any segment with his client is the main event because his client is the single biggest box office attraction in sports entertainment or MMA.
Heyman talks about what happened at Fastlane last night with Lesnar, Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose. He says Lesnar got revenge on Ambrose earlier today and we see the footage again of Lesnar putting Ambrose through the limousine windshield. Heyman says no shield can protect Ambrose from the wrath of Lesnar. Heyman says Lesnar deserves to be in the WrestleMania main event because he is the main event. He mocks Triple H and Roman Reigns. Heyman goes on praising Lesnar and says Lesnar needs a new WrestleMania opponent. He issues a warning to anyone that wants to step up, to go to the hospital and ask a barely breathing Dean Ambrose what happens when you earn Lesnar’s wrath. Heyman says a F5 is about to tear through the locker room, all the way to WrestleMania and it will have no mercy. Heyman wraps his promo when we hear a horn and see an ambulance on the big screen. The sirens are blaring as they raise the door. The ambulance runs into something parked inside the door. Lesnar and Heyman wait. We see the ambulance pull into the arena beside the stage. Dean Ambrose is driving the ambulance.
Ambrose stumbles out of the ambulance and rips a neck brace off. He stumbles to the ramp and starts crawling as fans chant his name. Lesnar looks on from the ring and doesn’t look happy. Ambrose is trying to pull himself up and crawl down to the ring. Lesnar meets him at ringside but Ambrose can’t even get up. Heyman and Lesnar stand over him. Lesnar steps on Ambrose’s head and keeps walking. His music stops but when he gets to the top of the stage to leave, Ambrose yells his name on the mic. Ambrose says to kiss his ass. He says he’s indestructible and Lesnar will find that out the hard way. Lesnar says he wants a No Holds Barred Street Fight against Lesnar at WrestleMania. Lesnar marches back to ringside and drops Ambrose on the floor with a F5. Heyman gets in Ambrose’s face and accepts the challenge.
The Usos vs. The Ascension
Back from the break and The Ascension waits as The Usos make their way out. We see The Dudley Boyz turning on The Usos a few weeks ago. Before the match begins, The Dudleyz come out to the stage. Bubba Ray Dudley welcomes The Usos back and says they had to prove they weren’t just a one-trick pony, just a nostalgia act. Bubba talks about how their legacy won’t be defined by a table, it will be defined by their accomplishments, and that’s why we will never see tables again. D-Von Dudley speaks next and knocks WWE Hall of Famer Rikishi, saying maybe he should have taught The Usos about respect. The Ascension attacks from behind and the referee backs them off.
We get the bell and Viktor starts off with Jimmy Uso. Jimmy unloads but Viktor turns it around. Konnor tags in and runs over Uso before tagging Viktor back in. Viktor with a 2 count as The Dudleyz watch from the stage and fans chant for tables.
Jey Uso comes in and unloads on Viktor. He hits a Samoan Drop and the Rikishi splash in the corner. Konnor comes in but gets double teamed by The Usos. Viktor comes off the top but eats a double superkick. Jey goes to the top, looks as The Dudleyz, then hits the big splash on Viktor for the win.
Winners: The Usos
– After the match, The Usos stand tall as The Dudleyz come marching down the ramp talking trash. The Dudleyz back it back up the ramp before doing anything.
– Still to come, Ryback, Kane and Big Show vs. The Wyatt Family. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and we see University of Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh in the crowd marking out.
– Chris Jericho makes his way to the ring to a pop. He talks about AJ Styles and says he didn’t like him when he made his WWE Royal Rumble debut. Jericho says he didn’t understand how you could call yourself phenomenal without having a WWE match. Jericho says then they had three matches and each one was better than before. He says last night’s match at Fastlane was phenomenal. Jericho says he’s had 24 hours to think about the loss and he wants to say some things to AJ’s face. Jericho calls Styles to the ring and out he comes to a pop.
Jericho talks about how he could have stopped Styles’ career by beating him but that didn’t happen, Styles beat him. Jericho gives him props for the match. Jericho congratulates Styles for proving to him and everyone else that he belongs in WWE. Jericho says Styles has what it takes to go to the top and be WWE Champion. Jericho says Styles proved that he’s not good, he’s not great… he’s phenomenal. They shake hands again. The music interrupts and out comes WWE’s Social Outcasts.
Heath Slater, Bo Dallas, Adam Rose and Curtis Axel talk as they walk to the ring, mocking Jericho and Styles. Axel says he can see right through Jericho and he’s only playing nice because AJ made him tap out last night. Slater tries to rile AJ up against Jericho and calls him a coward. The Social Outcasts enter the ring now and tells them to get out. Jericho calls Slater a ginger jackass. Jericho says maybe he and AJ should team up and the fans agree. Jericho says they’re officially a team and are officially going to start with these 4 stooges right here in Detroit. Jericho’s music hits as we go to commercial.
Chris Jericho and AJ Styles vs. Heath Slater and Curtis Axel
Back from the break and Jericho is in control of Slater. Styles comes in and nails a running forearm. Styles goes for the Styles Clash but Slater backdrops him to the apron. Styles counters and kicks Rose off at the floor. He also kicks Bo off. Axel drops Styles while the referee isn’t looking. Slater stomps away on Styles and tags in Axel now. Axel with a nice dropkick on Styles.
Axel and Jericho get tags at the same time and go at it. Jericho unloads on Axel and hits a springboard dropkick on Slater. Jericho with the running bulldog on Axel. Axel dodges a Lionsault. Jericho fights Axel off and goes for the Walls of Jericho. Styles springboards in and takes Slater out with a big right hand as he charges at Jericho. Jericho applies the Walls on Axel. Styles springboards out and takes Slater, Bo and Rose down. Axel taps to Jericho.
Winners: AJ Styles and Chris Jericho
– After the match, Jericho and Styles raise arms as Jericho’s music hits.
– We get another look back at tonight’s big opening segment.
– We see Triple H and Stephanie backstage. She’s upset about what happened. He says to let it go because Shane has always been a failure and this will be no different. Triple H says the night started bad but it will end well. He asks if she wants to go tell Reigns or should he. She says she does and walks off. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Stephanie approaches Reigns backstage. She informs him he has to face Sheamus tonight. She teases that The League of Nations may take out their frustrations out on Reigns, potentially injuring Reigns and making him forfeit his WrestleMania match. She wishes him good luck and tells him to be safe.
– Goldust walks up on R-Truth backstage. Truth is annoyed at Goldust surprising him. Goldust apologizes for costing the match at Fastlane. Goldust has brought a cake to Truth that says “I’m Sorry” on it. Truth says this was real cute at first but Goldust doesn’t get it. A cake doesn’t make up for everything Goldust has done. Truth says he doesn’t want Goldust’s apologies, doesn’t want his cake and for sure isn’t… Goldust interrupts him. Goldust understands Truth doesn’t want to team with him. Goldust can predict Truth’s every move and that’s what will make them a good team. Truth wonders if Goldust can see him about to put the cake in his face. Goldust hopes not. Truth says he’s better than that and walks off. “Sike” he says and comes back too smash the cake in Goldust’s face.
The Wyatt Family vs. Ryback, Kane and Big Show
We go to the ring and out comes Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, Erick Rowan and Braun Strowman for this WWE Fastlane rematch. WWE’s Titans make their ways out separately. The Wyatts have placed a sheep mask on Byron’s head. We go to commercial.
We come back and Bray is in this match. He starts off with Kane and they go at it. Kane takes control and works Wyatt over. Harper tags in next as Strowman looks on from the floor. Kane quickly takes control of Harper and in comes Ryback as some fans boo. The Goldberg chants start as Ryback works over Harper in the corner with right hands. Kane comes back in but Harper finally gets is some offense with a dropkick. Rowan comes in and goes to work on Kane. Rowan with kicks in the corner.
Kane takes Rowan down and in comes Ryback again. Ryback nails a cross body. Ryback with a pair of running high knees in the corner. Rowan looks to come back but Ryback catches him in a spinebuster. Rowan rolls to the floor. Ryback follows with a big clothesline. Ryback gets a “feed me more” chant going as we take a break.
Back from the break and Harper nails a Michinoku driver on Ryback for a 2 count. Rowan comes back in to keep control of Ryback. Rowan climbs up for a superplex but Ryback knocks him to the mat. Ryback with a missile dropkick. Show finally comes in and ends up chokeslamming Rowan. He knocks Wyatt but Braun pulls the rope down, sending Show to the floor. Wyatt leaves the ring and kicks Show in the ribs. Wyatt brings Show back in and tags in Harper for a little double team.
Harper and Show go at it now. Show catches a kick and grabs Harper for a chokeslam. Harper counters the chokeslam and ends up on Show’s back with a sleeper hold applied. Show breaks it with a side suplex. Kane comes in and runs over Harper. Kane with a clothesline in the corner and a splash. Kane hits the sidewalk slam and a dropkick to the face. Kane knocks Rowan and Bray off the apron before going back to Harper and hitting a big DDT. Kane calls for a chokeslam and we see Ryback drop off the apron. Ryback walks to the back as Kane looks on. Kane chokeslams Harper, who is no longer the legal man. Wyatt nails Kane from behind and hits Sister Abigail for the win.
Winners: The Wyatt Family
– After the match, The Wyatt Family poses in the middle of the ring and that’s it.
– Still to come, Reigns vs. Sheamus in the main event.
– Back from the break and Rich Brennan approaches Ryback backstage. He says he’s done with tag teams, he’s breaking the glass ceiling and taking the brass ring. He says he won the six-man match at Fastlane and has nothing to left to prove. He has no bone to pick with Kane and Big Show he says, but he’s focusing on himself.
Sasha Banks vs. Naomi
We go to the ring and out comes Sasha Banks to a pop. Naomi is out next with Tamina Snuka.
Sasha locks Naomi in an abdominal stretch and talks trash early on. Sasha with an early 2 count as they trade holds. Naomi gets the upperhand and yells out as she gets booed. Naomi drops Sasha on the top rope and kicks her. Naomi with strikes. The referee backs her off and Tamina takes advantage, pulling Sasha to the floor. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and after more back and forth, Becky Lynch runs down to take out Tamina on the floor. This leads to Sasha making Naomi tap out to the Banks Statement.
Winner: Sasha Banks
– After the match, Becky stands in the ring with Sasha. The music hits and out comes WWE Divas Champion Charlotte with dad Ric Flair. She’s wearing gear mocking The Bella Twins. She acts emotional over how Sasha and Becky have been bonding, then knocks them. The Authority has informed her there will be a match to determine who she faces at WrestleMania 32, Sasha vs. Becky. Charlotte wonders who wants it more. Charlotte tries to start trouble and says the next few weeks are going to be so fun for her.
– Sheamus and The League are backstage warming up. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get another Black History Month graphic.
– We get another look back Shane McMahon’s return. Stephanie is backstage talking to Vince. She says the company will go to hell in a hand basket if she and Triple H have to report to Shane. She will not work for her brother. Vince says the odds of Shane beating The Undertaker are astronomical. Vince points out that he just created another big WrestleMania main event and says that’s how this is done. They call it a calculated risk.
– Cole talks about 2016 WWE Hall of Famer The Godfather. JBL confirms he and Ron Simmons will be inducting their former road partner.
Roman Reigns vs. Sheamus
We go to the ring and out comes Roman Reigns through the crowd for tonight’s main event. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Sheamus is out with King Barrett, Rusev and Alberto Del Rio. Back and forth early on in the match. Reigns mounts Sheamus in the corner and fans boo. Sheamus slams Reigns to the mat as The League taunts Reigns. Sheamus keeps Reigns grounded now. The numbers catch up and Reigns ends up face down on the floor. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and The League has been sent to the back. Back and forth action. Sheamus with an Irish Curse backbreaker. Sheamus misses a Brogue Kick and Reigns nails a Superman punch to boos. Sheamus goes to the floor. Reigns runs around and spears him on the floor. The referee counts. Sheamus makes it back in at the 9 count but Sheamus doesn’t. Triple H’s music hits and out comes the WWE World Heavyweight Champion with his fists taped up and street clothes.
Reigns meets Triple H at ringside and they start trading shots. Reigns unloads. Triple H with a knee to the gut and right hands. Reigns fights back and tosses Triple H into the barrier. Triple H comes back with a big right hand. Triple H rolls Reigns in the ring but Reigns nails a Superman punch to more boos from the crowd. Triple H is dazed at ringside. Reigns follows and clotheslines Triple H into the timekeeper’s area to more boos. Triple H comes back with a bell shot to the throat. Fans chant for Triple H as he slams Reigns into the announce table face first several times. Triple H slams Reigns’ face over and over as fans pop. They chant “this is awesome” as Reigns’ is bleeding from the face now. Triple H pounds his face with right hands as the blood flows. Referees finally run down to pull Triple H away. Trainers check on Reigns. Triple H kicks him as he’s pushed back and towards the back. Triple H talks trash to Reigns. Triple H takes the steel steps apart and drags Reigns over. Triple H nails a Pedigree on top of the steps. Triple H has blood all over his hands and it’s all over Reigns as well. Reigns’ nose looks bad. Triple H throws a bloody crotch chop at Reigns as fans cheer again. Triple H comes back over with the title and raises it up on top of the steps. Fans cheer Triple H as RAW goes off the air.
Breaking RAW News, Tyson Kidd Retiring?, Who Was Recently KICKED OUT of the Locker Room?, Huge WWE PPV Changes Revealed?, Bad News for Injured Top WWE Star, WWE Heel Turn Plans Revealed, John Cena FINALLY Turning Heel?, Big Hogan – WWE Update, Vince – Bryan Story, WWE Very High on a Diva, Huge WWE – Goldberg Update, WM 32 Updates on Cena and Cesaro, Major Handicap Match at WrestleMania?, Must See New Lana & AJ Lee & Maryse, Lots of New GIFs & Exclusives, More