2/19 WWE NXT house show results from Asbury Park, NJ
Credit: Zach Levine
WWE NXT had a great sold out show live from Asbury Park NJ tonight. Really well organized by the Convention Center staff with a rabid fan base in attendance.
1. Asuka beat Alexa Bliss with the Asuka lock. Great match with Asuka showing a ton of charisma and Bliss with a ton of improvement. Mid match Bliss slapped Asuka in the face, leading into a massive “You F’d Up” chant! Great job by both
2. Apollo Crews beat Alex Riley with a spinning power bomb. Good match with Riley playing the heel well. A-Ry got the Cena treatment by the crowd with some yelling “Let’s Go Riley” chant followed by way more yelling “Riley Sucks!”
3. Carmella beat Peyton Royce by submission. Fun match. Carmella called herself the Princess of Jersey in her intro. Royce kept playing with a flower that Carmella took away midmatch. Would have liked to seen NJ’s own Liv Morgan in the match but maybe next time they’re in the Garden State.
4. Enzo and Cass beat the Vaudevillians with Air Enzo. Fun match and Enzo and Cass got the biggest pop of the night so far. Enzo threw in “Dancing in the Dark”, “Glory Days” and “Born to Run” references in his opener, which led to a long BRUUUUUUCE chant. Not to be outdone, Cass began singing “Sherry Baby” from Frankie Valli/Jersey Boys, the crowd didn’t seem to know that one though. Gotch played up his heel persona well in this one.
5. Austin Aries beat Elias Sampson with A discus elbow off the ropes. Sampson tried to have an acoustic concert mid ring prior to the match with the crowd politely telling him to “Shut the F Up.” He then said he now knows why the town is called A**-Bury Park. Aries got a huge ovation and looked great. Can’t wait for him to debut officially on NXT
6. Bayley beat Eva Marie with Bayley to Belly. Crowd loved Bayley, not so much for the Total Divas star. Eva was actually on offense the majority of the match, led to a crowd just yelling everything they could at Eva. Best part of the match was Bayley hulking up to go into her finishing sequence.
7. Finn Balor and Sami Zayn beat Samoa Joe and Baron Corbin with Balor hitting Bloody Sunday on Corbin. Excellent match, with the crowd chanting “Anyone But Corbin” at the beginning. Hard hitting and real well done match with a nice post match promo from Balor saying it was his first time in NJ since being in NJPW in 2011 [where he wrestled in Rahway, NJ]. Zayn then put on the Balor Club jacket and did Finn’s entrance, leading to Balor putting in Zayns jacket and hat and dancing like Sami.
Real fun night and glad to see NXT in Asbury Park. Was a much different card line up from the one I saw in Albany last year, which is the beauty of NXT. Looking forward to seeing what the brand has in store in the years to come.