WWE RAW Report – 7/14/14
– Tonight’s WWE RAW opens up with Byron Saxton, Booker T and Alex Riley at the WWE studios in Stamford. They hype tonight’s six-man main event and announce a segment between Lana and Zeb Colter. We go to a video package on Seth Rollins and John Cena. They hype the Fatal 4 Way main event at Battleground. Riley says Reigns is trying to prove to Cena that he’s the big dog in the house now, even though Cena is champion. Riley predicts a title change. We get a look back at Rusev vs. Reigns from SmackDown.
– They talk about Rollins vs. Ambrose at Battleground next. Saxton shows us a clip from Randy Orton vs. Chris Jericho from SmackDown where The Wyatt Family were playing mind games with Jericho, leading to a loss. Saxton announces that Jericho will be demanding answers from The Wyatt Family tonight. They also announce Ric Flair will be appearing on RAW tonight. We go to Network promos. We come back and get a look at Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio from last week. New Superstars have signed up for the Battleground Battle Royal and they talk about that match. We go to Renee Young and Rob Van Dam backstage. RVD talks about the battle royal but says he’s going to take everyone else to the extreme. He’s interrupted by Alberto Del Rio, who says he will be the next Intercontinental Champion. Del Rio threatens RVD if he doesn’t stay away. We go back to the panel for more Battle Royal discussion. We get a look at The Usos vs. Rowan and Harper now. We come back from more Network commercials and get talk about the Divas. We get final hype for tonight’s RAW and that’s it for the pre-show.
– Tonight’s WWE RAW opens up from Richmond, VA with Michael Cole welcoming us. WWE World Heavyweight Champion John Cena comes out to a massive but mixed reaction.
Cole is joined by JBL and Jerry Lawler. They hype tonight’s main event as Cena makes his entrance. Cena tells Richmond the champ is here and gets another big reaction. Cena says we’ve got a feisty crowd tonight. Cena tells everyone that the free preview for WWE Network ends up at midnight. He tells everyone to go sign up because at Battleground, the champ may not be here. Cena reminds everyone he doesn’t have to get pinned to lose the title. The music hits and Roman Reigns makes his way to the ring through the crowd.
Reigns hits the ring to a pop and takes a mic. Cena says fans are chanting Reigns’ name and introduces him to the crowd. Cena says they’re teaming tonight but facing off on Sunday. Cena thanks Reigns for helping him out last week. Cena says Reigns had a cute little stunt at the end of RAW and his message was clear – he’s not to be ignored. Cena understands it’s every man for himself on Sunday but they need to make it to Sunday. Cena says Reigns has been screwed over by The Authority but… Reigns tells Cena to get to the damn point. Cena says they should take Kane and Orton out tonight and then at Battleground, they’ll see if Reigns is as good as he thinks he is. Reigns says they should get rid of Orton and Kane. Reigns says then we will see if Cena is really as good as he thinks he is. They come face to face and Dean Ambrose appears on the big screen. He says enough of this whole “prettiest girl at the dance” argument going on. He says we’re not dancing tonight, we’re fighting. Ambrose says The Authority always has a plan but he has one tonight and it’s called Operation Screw The Authority. Ambrose says it begins when they stop arguing. Kane, Orton and Rollins surround Ambrose. He looks at them and starts brawling but they beat him down. He comes back fighting but gets beat down again. They throw him repeatedly into a door and continue the attack. Rollins throws him head first into the door. The three stomp some more before throwing Dean face first into a wall. Kane chokeslams Ambrose on a production case. Ambrose is bleeding from the mouth. He asks if that’s all they got and the crowd pops. Rollins stands up on the production cases and nails a big stomp on Ambrose, laying him out on the floor. We go to commercial.
– Back from the break and Cole says Ambrose is being evaluated by doctors after the attack from Kane, Orton and Rollins.
Sheamus vs. The Miz
WWE United States Champion Sheamus makes his way out for a non-title match. We get a sidebar video of Sheamus threatening to Brogue Kick The Miz. The Miz comes out and his entrance video now starts like a movie trailer. Miz cuts a promo on his way to the ring and says he will be the new Intercontinental Champion at Battleground because it’s only appropriate that a movie star that’s loved all over the world be champion. He says tonight, he must make sure the Brogue Kick stays away from his face, the money maker. Miz puts his face on the big screen and says it will be up there for the duration of this match so the fans can enjoy it. We get the bell.
They go at it back and forth. Miz runs into a big elbow and rolls to the floor to escape. Sheamus throws him back in but Miz stomps away. Miz dumps Sheamus over the top. Sheamus fights back on the floor. Miz counters and whips Sheamus into the barrier. Miz brings it back in the ring and goes to the top. Miz comes off the top with a big shot but Sheamus kicks out at 1. Sheamus fights back and hits the rolling senton. Miz rolls back to the floor and avoids an elbow drop. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and they’re fighting on the outside. Miz runs Sheamus into the ring post and kicks him off the steel steps. Miz brings it back in and covers for a pin attempt. They actually show the battle royal participants one by one during the match with graphics. More back and forth until Sheamus clotheslines Miz in the back of the head. Sheamus misses and runs into the ring post but kicks Miz to the mat. Sheamus goes to the top but Miz throws him to the mat. Miz nails a DDT for a 2 count. Sheamus comes back with a close 2 count as well. Miz goes for the Skull Crushing Finale but it’s blocked. Sheamus misses a Brogue Kick in the corner. Miz rolls Sheamus up for the non-title win.
Winner: The Miz
– Orton, Kane and Rollins are backstage. Orton says if they do their job at Battleground like they did tonight, nothing will stop him from leaving as champion. Kane argues that maybe he leaves champion. Kane says he has Orton’s back as long as he has his. Triple H walks in and says they will both trust each other because he does. Triple H says the title comes back to The Authority on Sunday so it can have some control. Triple H says they need to take care of business and have trust tonight. Stephanie McMahon walks in and loves how Triple H handles himself in situations like that. She says he’s strong and sexy and just takes control. She says she loves him and they start making out. Cole says they must have had a good vacation.
Dolph Ziggler vs. Fandango
We go to the ring and out comes Dolph Ziggler to a pop. The announcers give a long plug for the Network free preview ending tonight. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Fandango is out. They go at it to start. Ziggler hits a big hip toss but misses a dropkick. Fandango takes Ziggler to the corner and beats him down. Fandango whips Ziggler hard into the opposite corner and he goes down. Fandango with a 2 count and a headlock. Ziggler fights out but they both go down. Fandango’s music hits mid-match and we see Summer Rae dancing on the announcers table with Layla. Fandango is distracted and Ziggler nails a dropkick. Now Ziggler is distracted. Fandango rolls him up but Ziggler counters and hits the Fame-asser for the win.
Winner: Dolph Ziggler
– After the match, Summer and Layla come in the ring to dance around Ziggler. Fandango looks on from the mat as Ziggler gets kisses from the Divas.
– More hype for tonight’s main event. Back to commercial.
– We come back and there’s Sonic fast food being served backstage by a Sonic carhop. Damien Sandow comes in on roller skates and wearing a Sonic uniform. This leads to a comedy attempt with Sandow, Adam Rose and the Rosebuds.
The Usos vs. Heath Slater and Titus O’Neil
We go to the ring and WWE Tag Team Champions The Usos come out. Before they can get to the ring, they’re blindsided by Erick Rowan and Luke Harper. Rowan tosses one of the Usos into the ring post and Harper nails a huge boot to the face, knocking him over the barrier. They bring the other Uso into the ring and lay him out with a big double team move. Rowan and Harper stand tall over Uso as the announcers hype their Battleground match.
– Still to come, Ric Flair will be here. Also, Zeb Colter and Lana will have a détente. We go to commercial.
– Back from the break and Michael Cole is in the ring with Lana and Rusev. The ring is set up for a détente or a debate. Cole introduces Jack Swagger and Zeb Colter to a pop. We also have American and Russian flags in the ring. Cole says this détente is to ease the tensions that have been plaguing America and Russia for years.
A big USA chant breaks out and we can’t hear Lana. Cole asks about Zeb’s challenge for Battleground. Lana says some stuff in Russian. She knocks Zeb and America, saying we choose violence to solve our problems but we can’t save ourselves. She calls America and the fans stupid. Another big USA chant breaks out and Lana yells for them to shut up. Lana goes on but keeps getting interrupted by USA chants. Lana mocks the USA chants and wants Zeb to apologize. Zeb takes the mic and cuts a promo. He says hell no to apologizing. Another big USA chant starts up. Lana shows a photo of Vladimir Putin on the big screen. Zeb says that’s one ugly man. He shows a photo of Barack Obama on the big screen. Zeb says whether we like him or not, he is our President and Real Americans always respect the Presidency of the United States. Zeb says he came to get an answer for the challenge, not talk about Putin. He tells Lana to step aside. He asks Rusev when he’s going to step out from behind Lana and be a man. Zeb asks him about Battleground. A big “we the people” chant starts now. Rusev says this is war and slams the mic down. Zeb takes that as a yes and says we have a match at Battleground. Lana and Rusev go to leave the ring and Zeb taunts them. Zeb tells Lana to teach Rusev three words… “we the people” and the crowd says it along with him. Lana slaps Zeb. Swagger tackles Rusev and punches him. Lana grabs Swagger and Rusev decks him. Rusev sends Swagger crashing into a podium and splashes him in the corner. Swagger catches a big superkick and applies the Patriot Lock. Rusev makes it to the ropes and pulls himself out of the ring. Fans chant USA as Rusev sells the ankle injury and Zeb waves the American flag in the ring.
– We get a look back at Ambrose getting beat down earlier. Cole says Ambrose is at a local medical facility and it’s extremely doubtful that he will make tonight’s main event.
– Roman Reigns is backstage getting ready. John Cena walks in and says it’s just them now. Cena says it was an obvious set up by The Authority and asks if Reigns gets that. He does. Cena yells for Reigns to stand up and wants them on the same page. Reigns say they took out one of us but we will take out three of them by the end of the night, believe that. Cena walks off.
Alberto Del Rio vs. Rob Van Dam
Back from the break and we see the Intercontinental Title on display at ringside. Alberto Del Rio is making his entrance and out next comes Rob Van Dam.
Del Rio strikes fast with a kick and beats RVD down for an early pin attempt. RVD sends Del Rio to the floor but Del Rio blocks him and traps him in the apron. Del Rio with a big kick to the head now. Del Rio brings it back in the ring for a 2 count. Del Rio keeps control and works RVD over, keeping him grounded. RVD tries to fight back but gets thrown to the mat. RVD ducks a big superkick and hits a pair of clotheslines. RVD with a big hurricanrana and a superkick. RVD nails Rolling Thunder for a 2 count. Del Rio fights back with kicks but RVD kicks him in the face. Del Rio ducks a thrust kick but RVD nails a spin kick. RVD goes up for a Five Star Frogsplash but lands on Del Rio’s knees. Del Rio applies the cross armbreaker for the win.
Winner: Alberto Del Rio
– After the match, Del Rio goes to the floor and poses with the Intercontinental Title.
– The announcers give another lengthy plug to the WWE Network and Cole leads us to a preview for the Beyond The Ring: CM Punk special that airs on the Network tomorrow night.
– Still to come, Ric Flair and Chris Jericho. Back to commercial.
Nikki Bella vs. Cameron and Alicia Fox
Back from the break and out comes Nikki Bella. We see Brie Bella slapping Stephanie McMahon several weeks back. Stephanie makes her way to the stage now. Stephanie says Brie abandoned Nikki and abandoned her career. Now Nikki is left to suffer the consequences. Stephanie tells Nikki to blame her sister for all this. Out comes Alicia Fox and Cameron.
Alicia starts things off for her team. Nikki takes her down for a quick pin attempt and an armlock. Nikki with another pin attempt. Alicia backs Nikki in the corner and Cameron tags in for some double teaming. Nikki ends up getting a close 2 count on Cameron. Cameron throws her back in the corner and tags in Alicia for more double teaming. Alicia ends up getting the pin on Nikki for the win.
Winners: Cameron and Nikki Bella
– Lawler confirms that tonight’s main event will now be a handicap match. We also get a Sting announcement for WWE 2K15 as the pre-order bonus. Cole leads us to a promo for Sting in the game.
– We come back from commercials and they plug the Network some more.
– Randy Orton tells Triple H backstage that he’s not sure about Kane. Triple H says Kane is their pawn and will stick to the plan. He says Orton is the plan. Triple H says they want Orton to leave Battleground with the title. Orton says then there’s no need for a Plan B and Triple H agrees.
– We get another odd backstage promo from Stardust and Goldust.
Cesaro vs. Big E
Cesaro comes out alone. JBL says he heard Paul Heyman was fired. Cole says Heyman is here tonight but wonders how Cesaro will do without him at ringside. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Big E is out with Kofi Kingston. We see Cesaro destroying Kofi last week. Cesaro with a huge suplex on Big E to start the match. Cesaro charges but Big E catches him and slams him. Big E runs and knocks Cesaro off the apron into the barrier. Big E stops himself from being thrown into the barrier but Cesaro knocks him over it and into the fans. Cesaro poses in the ring as Kofi encourages Big E to make it back in. Big E comes back in and Cesaro hits a big stomp on his chest. Cesaro with slaps now. They trade shots and Big E presses him high. Cesaro slides out and hits a big clothesline for a 2 count.
Cesaro keeps control and hits a big double underhook suplex for a close 2 count. Cesaro with more shots and a headlock now. Kofi and the fans try to rally for Big E as he gets to his feet. Big E rams him back in the corner but Cesaro locks it in again. Big E rams him back again and nails a belly to belly suplex. Big E with a shoulder thrust in the corner and another belly to belly. The end comes when Kofi grabs a chair from Cesaro, allowing Big E to nail the Big Ending for the win.
Winner: Big E
– Kofi and Big E taunt Cesaro after the match.
– Chris Jericho makes his way out to a big pop. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Jericho gets a big pop in the ring. Jericho welcomes us to RAW Is Jericho. He says he grew up in WWE and this ring is home to him. He’s been working here 15 years and he’s seen and done it all. Jericho name drops and talks about some of the stuff he’s seen and done in WWE. Jericho says he’s never seen anything like Bray Wyatt. He says Wyatt is an anomaly, a manipulator, a shadow in the dark, a freak surrounded by freaks and a seemingly unstoppable force. Jericho wonders why Wyatt is coming after him. Jericho says their match at Battleground can get crazy and nuts if Wyatt wants. Fans chant “let’s get crazy.” Jericho says he has the whole WWE Universe in his hands and that is a true unstoppable force. The Wyatt Family graphic flashes and we see Bray laughing. Wyatt cuts a promo and a “boring” chant starts in the crowd. The graphic flashes again and we go back to Jericho in the ring. Wyatt is still laughing on the big screen and blows his lantern out. The arena goes dark and lights up with phones in the crowd. Lights come back on and Rowan and Harper are staring Jericho down. Jericho starts brawling but they get him. Rowan whips Jericho into a big boot from Harper but Jericho ducks and slides out of the ring. Jericho’s music hits and he backs up the ramp. Bray runs out and decks Jericho from behind on the stage. Bray nails Sister Abigail as Harper and Rowan make their way up the ramp. The Wyatt Family poses over Jericho to end it.
– We go to the announcers after the lights come back on. We get a replay of Dean Ambrose getting beat up earlier tonight. They hype tonight’s 2-on-3 main event and we go back to commercial.
AJ Lee vs. Eva Marie
Back from the break and Paige is out for commentary as Eva Marie waits in the ring. WWE Divas Champion AJ Lee is out next and we get a look at her return when she won the title from Paige.
They lock up and CM Punk chant start. AJ works Eva over but they go to the floor and Eva takes control. Eva sends AJ into the apron and brings it back in the ring for a 2 count. Eva actually keeps control until AJ applies the Black Widow for the win.
Winner: AJ Lee
– After the match, AJ goes and sits on top of the announcers table. She takes JBL’s headset and says hi to Paige. Paige congratulates her on the win and says her hair looks good today. AJ compliments her also and they stare at each other awkwardly before AJ says bye and leaves.
– Triple H and Stephanie are backstage talking about Flo Rida coming to RAW next week. Kane walks up. He doesn’t trust Orton and doesn’t like him. Stephanie says that’s part of business, they have tons of people that work for them that they don’t like. Triple H tells Kane to do what he has to do for Sunday and get it done. We go to commercial.
Bo Dallas vs. The Great Khali
Back from the break and Bo Dallas is in the ring doing his entrance. JBL is in awe. Bo says El Torito may be tiny but his heart is huge. He hopes his opponent for tonight has a heart as big as Torito’s. Out comes The Great Khali.
Bo ducks a shot but runs right into Khali. Khali drops him with a chop and throws him into the corner for big chops to the chest. Bo fights back and tries chops of his own but it doesn’t hurt Khali. Bo screams, “bad giant!” and Khali tosses him over the top rope. Khali comes to the floor and Bo kicks his leg out. Khali can’t make it back in and gets counted out.
Winner by Count Out: Bo Dallas
– After the match, Bo does to Khali at ringside. Khali is struggling to get off one knee and Bo tries to encourage him. Khali drops him out of nowhere with a big chop. Khali makes it up as Bo stumbles up the ramp and we get replays.
– We get more hype for Battleground and the WWE Network.
– We come back from a Network promo and Seth Rollins is talking to The Authority. He’s not sure about Orton and Kane. He reminds them he has his briefcase and they say don’t worry, we know what Plan B is. Paul Heyman appears. He’s been around, planning his moves. Heyman likes their Plan B but if they need a Plan C, he’s the guy to talk to. Heyman walks off and Stephanie says she never trusts Heyman.
– We see Ric Flair walking backstage as we go to commercial.
– We come back from the break and Renee Young is in the ring. She introduces WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair to a big pop.
Flair tells Renee that we’re live in Richmond and gets a pop. Flair says he has had some fun in this city, ask your mothers and fathers. Fans chant for Flair and he struts around Renee. Renee asks who will leave Battleground as WWE World Heavyweight Champion. Flair says the man that’s going to be the man in WWE is his man John Cena. Flair struts some more. Roman Reigns’ music hits and out he comes.
Reigns comes over the barrier and hits the ring to a big pop. Reigns shows respect for Flair as Flair’s music hits and he exits the ring. Flair stops on the stage as John Cena’s music hits. Cena comes out and Flair struts some more. Flair praises Cena. Cena has Flair raise up the World Heavyweight Title belt and they hug. Cena tells Flair to hold the belt as Cena runs to the ring. It’s time for the main event.
John Cena and Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins, Kane and Randy Orton
Cena hits the ring and runs the ropes as Reigns looks on. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and their opponents make their entrances. Jericho vs. Harper is announced for SmackDown. Orton and Cena start things out and go at it. Cena fights out of a headlock. Orton runs the ropes but Cena nails an elbow. Kane tags in and Cena goes behind, applying a headlock. Kane with a shoulder block. Cena rolls to his corner and Reigns tags himself in to a pop.
Reigns goes at it with Kane but runs into a big right hand. Reigns drops Kane over the top rope. Reigns goes to the second rope and comes down with a big shot on Kane. Reigns with a clothesline in the corner. Reigns knocks Orton off the apron but turns around to a big shot from Kane. Rollins tags in and beats Reigns down in the corner as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Reigns is fighting Kane off. Kane fights back. Reigns ducks a clothesline and nails a big right hand. Cena tries to rally the crowd and they cheer Reigns on. Cena tags in and unloads on Rollins, who also tagged in. Cena hits his usual moves. Cena hits the Five Knuckle Shuffle but Rollins slides out of an Attitude Adjustment. Kane comes in and Cena hits him. Rollins takes advantage and drops Cena. Rollins takes Cena to the corner and works him over now. Orton tags in for the double team.
Orton with a 2 count on Cena. Orton with a headlock now. Cena nails a dropkick and takes a shot at Rollins on the apron. Cena turns around to a backbreaker from Orton and another 2 count. Kane tags in and drops a big leg drop for another pin attempt. Cena goes for an AA on Kane but collapses under his weight. Kane with another 2 count. Rollins tags in and hits Cena as Kane holds him. Rollins works Cena over now. Rollins with a 2 count and a headlock. Rollins goes for a sleeper hold on Cena as Cena tries to reach Reigns. Cena breaks it but gets kicked. Rollins nails a trio of suplexes but Cena counters and both go down. Reigns and Orton tag in at the same time. Reigns nails a clothesline and decks Kane off the apron. Reigns ducks Orton and nails a big right hand. Reigns with a clothesline in the corner and another big right hand. Reigns runs around the ring and nails the apron dropkick on Orton. Reigns nails a Superman punch on Kane. Rollins misses and Reigns clotheslines him to the floor. Rollins looks to have hurt his knee. Reigns with a Samoan Drop on Orton. Reigns readies for a spear but Kane attacks from behind. Kane and Orton stomp on Reigns until the referee calls for the bell.
Winners by DQ: John Cena and Roman Reigns
– After the bell, Cena comes in for the save but Orton takes him to the apron. Cena blocks the second rope draping DDT. Kane accidentally knocks Orton off the apron and Cena goes to work on Kane. Kane blocks an Attitude Adjustment and Orton dodges a spear, leading to Reigns spearing Cena. Kane tosses Reigns out of the ring. Orton nails a RKO on Kane. Orton hits the turnbuckle and poses as his music hits. Orton turns around to a big spear from Reigns. Reigns’ music hits now and he looks down at Cena, Kane and Orton in the ring. Rollins is apparently still down on the floor. Reigns hits the turnbuckle to pose as fans cheer. RAW goes off the air with Cena looking on at Reigns.