1/31/11 WWE Raw Recap
Live from Providence, RI
– Alberto Del Rio came to the ring to celebrate his Royal Rumble victory. WWE champion The Miz and Alex Riley came to the ring and claimed that Edge was bad mouthing Del Rio after the Rumble, hoping Del Rio would pick Edge as his Wrestlemania opponent. Edge came out and said that if he wouldn’t say anything behind his back, he would just say it to his face. Del Rio announced he would challenge Edge for the World Heavyweight title at Wrestlemania. After a skirmish, Del Rio slammed a guitar over Edge’s head and put his arm into his devastating arm bar.
* It was also announced that Edge vs. The Miz would happen again tonight, and this time, there must be a winner.
* The Anonymous Raw general manager chimed in to Michael Cole, to announce a Raw Rumble match featuring seven competitors, with the winner facing WWE champion The Miz in three weeks at the Elimination Chamber. The other six competitors would square off in an elimination chamber at the upcoming February PPV. The competitors are Sheamus, Jerry Lawler, Randy Orton, CM Punk, John Morrison, R-Truth, and John Cena.
(1) WWE tag team championship: Santino Marella and Vladimir Kozlov (with Tamina) vs. Husky Harris and Michael McGuillicutty. Santino hit the Cobra on Harris, thus Kozlov and Marella remain the tag team titles.
After the match, Orton ran into the ring and RKO-ed Harris and McGuillicutty. Orton is about to punk Harris, when CM Punk (and the new Nexus) comes out and tells Orton not to do it. Punk tells Orton if he does it, there will be serious consequences. Orton looks around the arena, smiles back at Punk, and then punts Harris. Orton leaves through the crowd as Punk and Nexus chase after him.
Ted DiBiase (with Maryse) came down to the ring and wanted “The King” to give him his spot in the Raw Rumble match. Michael Cole got up from the broadcast booth, and cut a promo on Lawler. Lawler said he wasn’t giving up his spot to anybody. “The King” said he has been in WWE for 18 years, and yet, has never had a match at Wrestlemania. He said his path to Wrestlemania starts tonight. Lawler said if it weren’t for Cole, he would be the WWE champion. “The King” said he would win the match tonight. DiBiase thumped Lawler, and “The King” came after DiBiase, but he put Maryse between him and Lawler. Maryse slammed DiBiase, and left. “The King” then nailed DiBiase. Cole yelled at “The King.”
We see a shadowy man wearing black with a raincoat and cape in the rain, but of course, we don’t see the face. They put up a graphic for 2-21-11, definitely looked like a Sting tease at first glance.
(2) Daniel Bryan (with Gail Kim) vs. Tyson Kidd. The Bellas joined the broadcast booth. Bryan won a quick match via submission. The Bellas came in the ring after the match, and one of the Bellas slapped Bryan, which resulted in Kim going after the twins. Referee pull apart.
(3) Champion vs. Champion: World Heavyweight champion Edge vs. WWE champion The Miz (with Alex Riley).
Edge missed a spear atttempt, but then John Cena grabs a mic from atop of the arena and got the fans to chant that The Miz is awful. This distracted Miz enough and allowed Edge to spear Miz for the victory.
They plugged that Steve Austin was returning to host Tough Enough, which premieres the night after Wrestlemania on USA.
Vickie Guerrero came out to announce that Edge would be defending his World title in way never been before defended? She encouraged us to tune in Friday.
(4) Natalya and Divas champion Eve Torres vs. Michelle McCool and Layla. LayCool wins when Layla pinned the diva champion.
With Lawler gearing up for his match, Josh Mathews joined Cole in the broadcast booth.
(5) The Great Khali and Mark Henry vs. Jimmy and Jey Uso.
Before the match, the Anonymous Raw general manager chimed in, and alters the match to a dance off, seriously. So they, uh, boogie.
We saw the 2-21-11 plug again.
We see a trailer for Triple H’s “The Chaperone”
(6) RAW RUMBLE
1. John Morrison
2. King Sheamus
3. John Cena
4. CM Punk
6. The King
7. Randy Orton
Orton came out to look for Punk, who was hiding under the ring. Orton eliminated Punk, then R-Truth eliminated Orton. Cena eliminated R-Truth. Sheamus eliminated Morrison. Cena, Sheamus, and Lawler left. Cena eliminated, followed by Sheamus, The King wins!
After the match, Cole berated Lawler, as The Miz and Riley look on from the back. The King will challenge The Miz for the WWE championship at the February Elimination Chamber PPV.