Real name: Merced Solis
Weight: 234 lbs.
Date of birth: May 10, 1953
Hometown: Tocula, Mexico
Pro debut: 1977
Trained by: Yasuhiro Kojima & Bob Orton
Finishing move: Flying Forearm
Audio: Santana interviewed on the Gerweck Report Hotline
– Santana is a former pro football player with the Kansas City Chiefs (NFL) and BC Lions (CFL).
– February 15, 1979, NWA: Tito Santana & Ted DiBiase beat Akio Sato & Mr. Pogo for the NWA Western States Tag Team titles.
– Santana jumped to Vince McMahon Sr’s northeast World Wide Wrestling Federation promotion.
– October 22, 1979, MSG: Tito Santana & Ivan Putski defeated Jimmy & Jerry Valiant for the WWWF Tag Team titles.
– Santana returned to the AWA to re-persue his quest to win the AWA World title.
– Santana also had a brief run in the Georgia territory.
– Late 1983: Santana signs a WWF contract with Vince McMahon Jr. as the WWF were preparing to go national.
– February 11, 1984: Santana defeated “The Magnificent” Don Muraco to win the Intercontinental title.
– July 23, 1984, MSG: The Brawl to End it All: Santana defeats “Cowboy” Bob Orton Jr. to retain the Intercontinental Title.
– At Wrestlemania I, Santana defeated The Executioner (Buddy Rose).
– July 7 1985: Santana defeated Greg Valentine in a classic Steel Cage match to recapture the Intercontinental Title. After the match, Greg Valentine damages the IC belt by smashing it against the cage. This was to allow the WWF to create a new IC championship belt which was around for 13 years.
– November 7, 1985: Wrestling Classic: Santana defeats “The Magnificent” Don Muraco.
– August 28, 1987 – Paul Boesch Retirement Show: Santana & Mil Mascaras defeated Demolition.
– Santana joined with Rick Martel (Tom Zenk left the WWF) to form the team known as Strike Force.
– October 27, 1987, Superstars of Wrestling: Strike Force beat the Hart Foundation for the WWF Tag Team titles.
– Survivor Series 1987: Strike Force, The British Bulldogs, The Killer Bees, The Young Stallions and The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers defeated The Hart Foundation, Demolition, The Islanders / The Dream Team and The Bolshivics.
– December 7, 1987, Saturday Night Main Event: Strike Force defeated The Bolsheviks to retain the WWF Tag Team titles.
– February 5, 1990 – The Main Event: Strike Force defeat The Hart Foundation to retain the WWF Tag Team titles.
– Tito Santana resumes his solo career after Rick Martel is injured after an attack from Demolition.
– December 7, 1988, Saturday Night Main Event: Santana defeats The Red Rooster.
– October 14, 1989 – King of the Ring: Santana wins the King of the Ring Tournament defeating Rick Martel, Bad New Brown, The Warlord & Akeem.
– Survivor Series 1989: The Dream Team (Santana Dusty Rhodes, Brutus Beefcake, and The Red Rooster) defeated The Enforcers (Big Boss Man, Rick Martel, Bad News Brown and The Honky Tonk Man).
– Survivor Series 1990: The Alliance (Santana, Nikolai Volkoff and The Bushwhackers) defeated The Mercenaries (Sgt Slaughter, Boris Zuhkov and The Orient Express.
– October 21, 1991, Superstars of Wrestling: Santana adopts the gimmick “El Matador”, but mexican bull fighter.
– Survivor Series 1991: Santana, Jim Duggan, Sgt. Slaughter and Kerry Von Erich defeated Col Mustafa, The Berzerker, Skinner, and Hercules.
– ECW (Eastern Championship Wrestling) August 8, 1992: Santana defeated Don Muraco for the ECW Heavyweight title.
– Santana appeared on the independent circuit with such promotions as: Extreme Canadian Championship Wrestling, the Renegade Wrestling Alliance and the United States Wrestling Federation.
– 1996: Santana opens the American Wrestling Federation and signs many former WWF & WCW Wrestlers.
– 1996: Santana defeated “Cowboy” Bob Orton Jr. to win the AWF World title.
– 1997: Santana returned to the WWF and joined the Spanish Announcing Team.
– January 10, 2000 – WCW Monday Night Nitro: Santana makes a one-time appearance in WCW defeating Jeff Jarrett in a “Dungeon” Match.
– November 8, 2003, Virginia Championship Wrestling: Santana defeated Wallace Stillhammer.
– Santana was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame on March 13, 2004.
– April 23, 2005, National Wrestling Superstars: Santana defeated Sal Sincere.
– May 14, 2005, National Wrestling Superstars: Santana defeated Kevin Knight.
– On February 29, 2016, Santana was voted into the GERWECK.NET Hall of Fame.