Oct 3, 2009 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: Matthew Moore Hardy
Weight: 225 lbs.
Dates of birth: September 23, 1974
Hometown: Cameron, NC
Pro debut: October 15, 1992
Trained by: Dory Funk Jr.
Finishing move: Twist of Fate
- Matt joined the Professional Wrestling Federation (PWF), on the advice of mat veteran The Italian Stallion.
- The Wolverine (Matt) captured the NEWA title in March 1994, and held it until May 1995.
- High Voltage and Venom (Joey Abs) captured the NFWA tag team title in March 1995.
- On April 8, 1995, High Voltage pinned the Willow (Jeff) for the NFWA title in Southern Plains, NC.
- Surge (Matt) defeated Venom for the NCW title on July 24, 1997 in Sylva, GA.
- On December 5, 1997, Surge defeated Rick Michaels for the Omega (Organization of Modern Extreme Grappling Arts) title.
- The Hardy Boyz captured the NWA 2000 Tag Team title on March 7, 1998 in Hope Mills, NC, defeating C.W. and Pat Anderson.
- Surge pinned the Willow on July 17, 1998 in Concord, NC for the NDW Light Heavyweight title.
- The Hardy Boyz defeated Mike Maverick and Kid Vicious on July 24, 1998 in Sanford, NC for the Omega Tag Team titles.
- In the summer of 1998, the Hardy’s were invited to the “Funkin’ Dojo” camp by the WWF, where they trained under wrestling legend Dory Funk Jr.
- The Hardy Boyz upset Mens Teioh and Sho Funaki on their Sunday Night Heat debut on September 27, 1998.
- Former Freebird Michael P.S. Hayes became the Hardy Boyz manager.
- With Hayes in their corner, Matt and Jeff defeated the Acolytes on June 29, 1999, for the WWF World Tag Team titles in Fayetteville, NC.
- After leaving Hayes, Matt and Jeff joined Gangrel in the New Brood, which started the outstanding rivalry with Edge and Christian.
- The Hardy’s defeated Edge and Christian at the 1999 King of the Ring to earn a WWF tag team title match.
- The Hardy’s interfered in the New Age Outlaws vs. Edge and Christian WWF Tag Team title match at Unforgiven, allowing the Outlaws to retain the titles.
- The Hardy Boyz won the Terri Invitational Tournament over Edge and Christian in a breathtaking ladder match at No Mercy ’99. As a result, Matt and Jeff won $100,000 and the managerial services of the seductive Terri.
- The next night on “Raw,” the Hardy’s, Edge, and Christian received a standing ovation from the Columbus, Ohio crowd.
- On December 15, 1999, the Hardy Boyz defeated Ricky Banderas and Ricky Santana in Puerto Rico for the IWA.
- On the January 10, 2000 episode of “Raw Is War,” the Hardy’s defeated Steve Blackman and the undefeated Kurt Angle.
- The Hardy’s defeated the Dudley Boyz at the 2000 Royal Rumble in a table’s match.
- Terri turned against the Hardy Boyz at No Way Out 2000.
- Lita, who had recently left Essa Rios, became the Boyz new manager.
- At Fully Loaded 2000, the Hardy Boyz and Lita defeated T&A (Test and Albert) and Trish Stratus in a six person tag match.
- The Hardy Boyz defeated Edge and Christian at Unforgiven ’00 in a cage match to regain the WWF World Tag Team titles.
- The next night on “Raw,” The Hardy Boyz successfully defended the WWF World Tag Team titles against Edge and Christian in a ladder match.
- After dropping the WWF World Tag Team title to Edge and Christian (dressed under the hoods of Los Conquistadors) at No Mercy, the Hardy Boyz regained the belts the next night on “Raw” dressed as Los Conquistadors.
- At Survivor Series ’00 in Tampa, FL, the Hardy Boyz and Dudley Boyz defeated Edge, Christian, The Goodfather and Bull Buchanan in a Survivor Series elimination match.
- On the February 19, 2001 episode of “Raw,” Matt and Lita shared a passionate kiss.
- The Hardy Boyz captured the WWF World Tag Team title from the Dudley Boyz on the March 5, 2001 edition of “Raw” in Washington, D.C.
- On April 24, 2001, Matt defeated Eddy Guerrero for the European title at the “Smackdown” tapings in Denver, CO.
- At Backlash ’01 in Chicago, IL, Matt successfully defended the European title against Guerrero and Christian.
- Matt and Jeff Hardy defeated Booker T and Test on the October 8, 2001 edition of “Raw” in Indianapolis, IN for the WCW World Tag Team titles.
- The Hardy’s successfully defended the WCW World Tag Team title against The Hurricane (Shane Helms) and Lance Storm at No Mercy ’01 in St. Louis, MO.
- On the November 12, 2001 edition of “Raw” in Boston, IL, the Hardy Boyz defeated Booker T and Test for the WWF World Tag Team titles.
- At Insurrextion ’02 in London, England, the Hardy Boyz defeated Brock Lesnar and Sean Stasiak.
- On the August 12, 2002 episode of “Raw,” Matt turned against Jeff in a match pitting his brother against Rob Van Dam.
- A short time later, Matt joined the “Smackdown” roster. On the October 3, 2002 edition of the show, Matt used interference from Lesnar to defeat The Undertaker.
- With Shannon Moore in his corner, Hardy defeated Kidman at the 2003 No Way Out in Montreal to capture the WWE Cruiserweight title.
- At Wrestlemania XIX in Seattle, WA, Hardy successfully defended the Cruiserweight title against Rey Mysterio Jr.
- At Vengeance ’04, Hardy defeated Kane in a “No-DQ” match.
- On April 11, 2005, WWE.COM announced that the company had released Hardy.
- On the day his 90-day no compete clause expired, Hardy returned to WWE on the July 11, 2005 edition of “Raw” and went after Edge.
- At Unforgiven ’05, Hardy defeated Edge in a steel cage match.
- Hardy and Rey Mysterio defeated Gene Snitsky (subbing for Edge) and Chris Masters at the 2005 Taboo Tuesay PPV.
- At No Way Out ’06, Hardy and his mystery partner (Tatanka) defeated MNM in an open challenge non-title match.
- Hardy defeated WWE Cruiserweight Champion Gregory Helms in a non-title match at No Mercy ’06.
- At Survivor Series ’06, Team DX (DX, CM Punk, and the Hardy Boyz) defeated Randy Orton, Edge, Gregory Helms, Johnny Nitro and Mike Knox.
- At ECW’s December to Dismember, the Hardy Boyz defeated MNM.
- At the Royal Rumble ’07, the Hardy Boyz once against defeated MNM.
- At No Way Out ’07, Chris Benoit and the Hardy Boyz defeated MVP and MNM.
- The Hardy Boyz eliminated Trevor Murdoch and Lance Cade in a tag team battle royal on the April 2, 2007 edition of “Raw” in Dayton, OH to capture the World Tag Team titles.
- Matt and Jeff Hardy defeated Murdoch and Cade to retain the World Tag Team titles at Backlash ’07.
- At Judgment Day ’07, The Hardy Boyz again defeated Murdoch and Cade to remain World Tag Team champions.
- At One Night Stand ’07, The Hardy Boyz defeated Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas to retain the World Tag Team titles in a “ladder” match.
- On August 28, 2007 at the Smackdown Tapings in Albany, NY, Hardy and MVP defeated Deuce and Domino to capture the WWE Tag Team titles.
- At Unforgiven ’07, Hardy and MVP defeated Deuce and Domino to retain the WWE Tag Team titles.
- At Backlash ’08 in Baltimore, MD, Hardy defeated MVP to capture the United States title.
- As a result of the Hardy Boyz losing to John Morrison and The Miz on Raw, Matt was drafted to ECW on June 23, 2008.
- At Night of Champions ’08, Hardy defeated Chavo Guerrero Jr. to retain the United States title.
- Hardy defeated Mark Henry, The Miz, Chavo Guerrero, and Finlay at Unforgiven ’08 in Cleveland, OH in a scramble match to capture the ECW title.
- Hardy beat Henry at No Mercy ’08 to remain ECW champion.
- At Cyber Sunday ’08, Hardy defeated Evan Bourne to retain the ECW title.
- After turning against his brother Jeff at the 2009 Royal Rumble, Matt was moved to the Smackdown roster.
- Hardy defeated brother Jeff at Wrestlemania 25 in an “extreme rules” match.
- Hardy was drafted to the Raw brand on April 13, 2009.
- On June 29, 2009, Hardy was traded to Smackdown.
- At Bragging Rights ’09, Team SmackDown (Chris Jericho, Kane, R-Truth, Matt Hardy, Finlay, The Hart Dynasty (Tyson Kidd and David Hart Smith) defeated Team Raw (D-Generation X (Triple H and Shawn Michaels), The Big Show, Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston and Mark Henry).
- On September 30, 2010, Hardy was released by WWE.
- Hardy debuted in TNA at Genesis ’11, and defeated Rob Van Dam.
- Following a suspension, TNA parted ways with Hardy on August 20, 2011.