Sep 6, 2009 - by Steve Gerweck
Real name: Adam Copeland
Weight: 240 lbs.
Date of birth: October 30, 1973
From: Orangeville, Ontario
Resides: Tampa, FL
Pro debut: June 1, 1993
Trained by: Ron Hutchinson,
Sweet Daddy Siki, & Bret Hart
Finishing move: Downward Spiral
- Copeland trained for a full year at Sully’s Gym in Toronto.
- Copeland made his ring debut in a tag match with the El Fuego Kid against Joe E. Legend (was Just Joe in the WWF) and Zakk Wylde on June 1, 1993.
- Copeland (Sexton Hardcastle) and Jay Reso (Christian Cage) formed a tag team called High Impact and later changed to the Suicide Blondz.
- In the summer of 1997, the duo wrestled in the Maritimes for Emile Dupre’s Atlantic Grand Prix promotion, and feuded with The Super Models, Rick Martel and The Jackyl (formerly Cyrus in ECW).
- In December 1997, the Suicide Blondz captured the ICW Streetfight Tag Team title.
- On May 3, 1998, in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, Copeland defeated Christian Cage.
- Edge made his WWF television debut on “Raw” on June 22, 1998 against Jose Estrada Jr.
- Edge was Sable’s (Rena Mero) mystery partner at the 1998 Summerslam. Edge and Sable defeated Marc Mero and Jacquelyn.
- Edge and Christian formed the Brood with Gangrel. The Brood eventually joined the Undertaker’s Ministry of Darkness.
- The Brood defeated the JOB Squad at the 1998 Rock Bottom in Vancouver when Christian defeated Scorpio.
- After Edge and Christian left the Brood, Gangrel formed the New Brood with the Hardy Boyz.
- On July 24, 1999, Edge defeated Jeff Jarrett for the Intercontinental title at the Sky Dome in Toronto.
- At the United Kingdom only pay-per-view Rebellion ’99, Edge and Christian defeated the Holly’s and the Acolytes in a three-way dance.
- Edge and Christian defeated the Hardy Boyz at No Way Out 2000 to earn a WWF World Tag Team title shot.
- At Wrestlemania 2000 in Anaheim, CA, Edge and Christian defeated the Dudley Boyz and the Hardy Boyz in a “ladder” match to capture the WWF World Tag Team title.
- Edge and Christian defeated X-Pac and the Road Dogg Jesse James at Backlash.
- At the King of the Ring in Boston, MA, Edge and Christian over came Too Cool, T & A, and the Hardy Boyz in a four team elimination match to regain the WWF World Tag Team title.
- At Summerslam 2000, Edge and Christian successfully defended the WWF World Tag Team title against the Hardy Boyz and Dudley Boyz in a thrilling TLC (Tables, Ladders, and Chairs) match.
- On the September 4, 2000 episode of “Raw,” Edge and Christian defeated The Rock and The Undertaker to retain the WWF Tag Team title.
- At No Mercy in Albany, NY, Edge and Christian (under the hoods of Los Conquistadors) defeated the Hardy Boyz for the WWF World Tag Team title.
- Edge and Christian captured their fourth WWF World Tag Team title at Armageddon. The Canadian duo won a four corners tag team championship match over RTC (Bull Buchanan and the Goodfather), the Road Dogg and K-Kwik, and the Dudley Boyz.
- One day after dropping the WWF World Tag Team title to The Rock and The Undertaker on “Raw,” Edge and Christian regained the title at the Smackdown tapings on December 19, 2001 in Charlotte, NC. Kurt Angle served as the special guest referee.
- On the March 19, 2001 episode of “Raw,” Edge and Christian used outside interference from Rhyno to defeat the Hardy Boyz for the WWF World Tag Team title.
- At Wrestlemania XVII in Houston, TX, Edge and Christian won TLC II over the Hardy Boyz and the Dudley Boyz for their seventh WWF World Tag Team title.
- Edge and Christian defeated Nova and Frankie Kazarian on April 25, 2001 at an UPW (Ultimate Pro Wrestling) show in Santa Ana, CA.
- At Insurrextion in London, England, Edge and Christian won a four team elimination match over the Hardy Boyz, the Dudley Boyz, and X-Factor.
- Edge defeated Rhyno in the semi-finals, and Angle in the finals to become the 2001 King of the Ring.
- At Invasion, Edge and Christian defeated Lance Storm and Mike Awesome.
- At Summerslam ’01, Edge pinned Storm for the Intercontinental title in San Jose, CA.
- Edge defeated Christian in a ladder match to regain the IC title at the No Mercy PPV in St. Louis, MO.
- At the Rebellion ’01 PPV in Manchester, England, Edge again defeated Christian.
- On the November 12, 2001 episode of “Raw” in Boston, MA, Edge pinned Angle to capture the WCW United States title.
- At the 2001 Survivor Series in Greensboro, NC, Edge defeated Test in an Intercontinental/U.S. title unification match.
- Edge defeated William Regal at the Vengeance PPV in San Diego, CA to successfully defend the Intercontinental title.
- At Wrestlemania X-8, Edge pinned Booker T.
- At Judgment Day ’02 in Nashville, TN, Edge defeated Angle in a hair v. hair match.
- At the July 2, 2002 “Smackdown” taping in Boston, MA, Edge and Hulk Hogan defeated Billy Gunn and Chuck Palumbo to capture the WWE World Tag Team title.
- Edge defeated Eddy Guerrero at the 2002 Summerslam.
- At the November 5, 2002 “Smackdown” taping in Manchester, NH, Edge and Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated Chris Benoit and Angle to capture the WWE Tag Team title.
- On March 10, 2003, Edge under went successful neck surgery in San Antonio, TX.
- Edge returned to WWE television on the March 22, 2004 edition of “Raw,” after being drafted by Eric Bischoff to join “Raw.”
- At Backlash ’04, Edge defeated Kane.
- On the April 19, 2004 edition of “Raw” in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Edge and Chris Benoit defeated Dave Batista and Ric Flair to claim the World Tag Team title.
- At Vengeance ’04 in Hartford, CT, Edge pinned Randy Orton to capture the Intercontinental title.
- At Summerslam ’04, Edge defeated Chris Jericho and Batista to successfully retain the Intercontinental title.
- On the September 6, 2004 edition of “Raw, Edge was stripped of the IC title by Eric Bischoff due to injury.
- At the 2005 Royal Rumble, Edge pinned Shawn Michaels.
- Edge won the “Money in the Bank” ladder match at Wrestlemania 21, overcoming Shelton Benjamin, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Christian and Kane to gain the victory.
- At Backlash ’05, Edge defeated Chris Benoit in a “last man standing” match.
- Edge defeated Matt Hardy at the 2005 Summerslam when the referee stop the match due to blood.
- Despite losing to Ric Flair via DQ at New Year’s Revolution ’06 in Albany, NY, Edge cashed in his money in the bank title shot after Cena had survived the elimination chamber match. In under two minutes, Edge pinned Cena to capture the WWE title.
- At Wrestlemania 22, Edge defeated Mick Foley in a “hardcore” match.
- At One Night Stand ’06, Edge, Foley and Lita defeated Tommy Dreamer, Terry Funk and Beulah.
- Edge defeated Rob Van Dam and Cena in a triple threat no-DQ match on the July 3, 2006 edition of “Raw” in Philadelphia, PA to regain the WWE title.
- Edge defeated Cena at the 2006 Summerslam PPV to retain the WWE championship.
- At Cyber Sunday ’06, Edge and Randy Orton defeated DX (Triple H and Shawn Michaels). Eric Bischoff served as the special guest referee.
- At the November 13, 2006 Raw/ECW tapings in Manchester, England, Edge and Randy Orton defeated Roddy Piper and Ric Flair to capture the World Tag Team titles.
- Edge defeated Mr. Kennedy on the May 7, 2007 edition of “Raw” and captured Mr. Kennedy’s Money in the Bank briefcase.
- At the May 8, 2007 Smackdown taping in Pittsburgh, PA, Edge cashed in on his money in the bank title shot during The Undertaker-Batista cage match, and captured the World Heavyweight title.
- Edge defeated Batista at Judgment Day ’07 to retain the World Heavyweight title.
- At One Night Stand ’07, Edge defeated Batista in a steel cage match to remain World Heavyweight champion.
- Edge returned from an injury at the 2007 Survivor Series, and attacked The Undertaker during the Hell in the Cell match involving the “dead man” and Batista.
- Edge defeated Batista and The Undertaker at Armageddon ’07 in Pittsburgh, PA, to regain the World Heavyweight title.
- At Royal Rumble ’08, Edge defeated Rey Mysterio to remain World Heavyweight champion.
- Edge successfully defended the World title against an injured Rey Mysterio Jr. at No Way Out ’08.
- Edge defeated The Undertaker at One Night Stand ’08 in San Diego, CA in a TLC match to capture the vacant World Heavyweight title, and end the career of the “Dead man.”
- At Night of Champions in Dallas, TX, Edge defeated Batista, thanks to a belt shot to the head, to remain World Heavyweight champion.
- At the 2008 Survivor Series, Smackdown General Manager Vickie Guerrero added the returning Edge to the Triple H vs. Vladimir Kozlov WWE title match in Boston, MA, and speared Hunter to win the WWE championship.
- Edge defeated Jeff Hardy to regain the WWE championship at the 2009 Royal Rumble in Detroit, MI. In the end, Matt Hardy turned against his brother.
- At No Way Out ’09, Edge lost the WWE title in the Smackdown elimination chamber. Later in the night, he attacked Kofi Kingston and steal his spot in the Raw elimination chamber match. Edge out lasted John Cena, Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, Mike Knox and Kane to win the World Heavyweight title.
- At Backlash ’09 in Providence, RI, Edge defeated John Cena in a “last man standing” match to capture the World Heavyweight title.
- Edge defeated Jeff Hardy at Judgment Day ’09 to retain the World Heavyweight championship.
- At The Bash in Sacramento, CA, Edge and Chris Jericho defeated Carlito and Primo colon and The Legacy (Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase) to capture the Unified Tag Team titles.
- Returning from injury, Edge was a surprise entry (at #29) in the 2010 Royal Rumble match, and eliminated John Cena to earn a title shot at Wrestlemania 26.
- Edge was drafted to Raw on April 26, 2010.
- Edge was moved to Smackdown in October 2010.
- At the Hell in a Cell ’10, Edge defeated Jack Swagger.
- At TLC ’10 in Houston, TX, Edge won a Fatal 4-Way Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match, also involving Alberto Del Rio and Rey Mysterio, to capture the World Heavyweight title.
- At the 2011 Royal Rumble, Edge defeated Dolph Ziggler to retain the World heavyweight title.
- Edge defeated Alberto Del Rio at Wrestlemania 27 to retain the World Heavyweight title.
- On April 11, 2011, Edge announced his retirement from wrestling on “Raw.”
- On April 1, 2012, Edge was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame by Christian. Edge was also voted into the GERWECK.NET Hall of Fame by popular vote.