Fan: Cameras Confiscated at Monday Night Raw

Mar 31, 2015 - by Steve Gerweck

A wrestling fan sent in the following e-mail regarding her experience at last night’s Raw in San Jose, CA:

I travel to 12+ WWE events per year, and am very familiar with the camera policy. Point and Shoot cameras with lenses less than 6 inches are allowed at all events. No live streaming or video taping allowed on any device.

There was a sign posted on the door of the SAP to this effect, as well as confirmation by phone call to SAP Guest Services 1 hour before doors opened.

When the doors opened for Monday Night RAW, there were only 5-6 security check points open, looking for nothing else other than cameras. Anyone with any type of camera bigger than a cell phone was sent to the security desk and forced to check in their camera. I refused to check my Kodak Easy Share Z5120. It is a point and shoot camera that I have taken to every event for the last 3 years. The female security guard claimed that if it couldnt be put in my pocket, it had to be checked. I offered to put it in my pocket, and she refused, claiming it had to be checked. She escorted me to the security desk, where I again refused to check the camera. The staffer there had Raphael, the “supervisor” come over. He stated WWE Does Not Allow Cameras, which is a lie. I told him it was a point and shoot, allowed per the sign on the door. He continued to argue with me, and now a small crowd that had formed that also wanted to keep their cameras. He wanted to show me the sign where it said No Cameras, we went through the door, where I pointed to the line that said Point and Shoot Allowed. He then accused me of shouting at him, and said he was going to have the police come to speak to me. He attempted to lock me out of the building, which a member of my family saw and let me back through the door. Despite repeated requests to call WWE Security or his supervisor, he refused stating he had no way to contact them. This was also a lie, as he was wearing an ear wig connected to a radio at his hip. While he was threatening alternately to call the police or have someone take myself and 2 other patrons to the outside security office, a supervisor of arena security named Mike came up to the conversation. It took him about 20 seconds to confirm that yes, my Kodak was a point and shoot, go on and have a nice evening. Unfortunately, he did not correct Raphael or the door staff, and they confiscated hundreds of cameras at the door. We went into the lobby area about 40 minutes into the broadcast, and there was still a group of 8-10 people standing at the security desk surrendering their cameras.

Leave a Reply