WWE Raw Report – 5/1
– The Backlash go-home and Draft Night 2 edition of WWE RAW opens up on the USA Network with a video looking back at Night 1 of the WWE Draft on SmackDown. We’re now live from the Dickies Arena in Fort Worth, Texas as Kevin Patrick welcomes us. He’s joined at ringside by Corey Graves.
– We go right to the stage and out comes WWE Chief Content Officer Triple H to kick off Night 2 of the WWE Draft. Triple H welcomes us and goes over the Draft rules, and how everyone left from Night 1 will be eligible tonight. He points to the new WWE World Heavyweight Title belt on display and fans pop. He says due to Undisputed WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns being drafted to SmackDown, the new World Heavyweight Champion will be exclusive to RAW. He shows us the Draft pool for tonight. He then announces that Brock Lesnar will not be eligible tonight as earlier today he renegotiated his status as a free agent and can appear on any brand. Triple H reiterates that the new post-Draft rosters will go into play on Monday, May 8 following WWE Backlash.
Triple H asks if we’re ready. He then announces that RAW has selected SmackDown Women’s Champion Rhea Ripley. SmackDown selects WWE United States Champion Austin Theory. RAW selects Seth Rollins. SmackDown selects Charlotte Flair. That wraps Round 1. Triple H then welcomes Paul Heyman.
– Paul Heyman comes out to boos and cheers. Triple H shows him the new WWE World Heavyweight Title belt, and Heyman comments on how beautiful it is. Fans chant “ECW!” now. Heyman marches to the ring.
Heyman takes the mic and comments on how he and Solo Sikoa were drafted to SmackDown with Undisputed WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns. He brings up The Usos and how they failed to capture the titles from Undisputed WWE Tag Team Champions Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens on Friday. Heyman will address them in private later on, then The Usos will publicly address their issues at WWE Backlash when they team with Solo against Zayn, Owens and Matt Riddle. Heyman goes on and insults the people of Texas.
Heyman points to the new WWE World Heavyweight Title belt and says it would look relevant around the waist of our Tribal Chief. Fans boo. Heyman hypes Reigns and his historic title reign up. Heyman goes on ripping others who don’t compare to Reigns but the music interrupts and out comes Seth Rollins. Fans sing the song as Rollins struts to the ring.
Rollins’ music stops but fans continue singing while he taunts Heyman. Rollins laughs in Heyman’s face and fans cheer. Rollins says he’s on his show now, which means Roman doesn’t have to run from him any longer, and Heyman can stop pulling backstage strings to stop Rollins from getting a title shot. He says Heyman can put all that energy into making sure The Bloodline doesn’t go… poof. Rollins says since Heyman is a spoiler kind of guy, here’s a spoiler… Rollins promises he will become the new WWE World Heavyweight Champion at Night of Champions. Rollins says he will then show everyone what a real champion looks like.
Heyman takes a phone call and Rollins gets fans to sing to annoy him. Heyman screams – he can’t hear his Tribal Chief! Fans sing louder. Heyman says Rollins is pissing off his Tribal Chief. Rollins says if Reigns is pissed now, he really won’t like this. Rollins polls the fans on how fast he can drop Heyman to Stomp him. Heyman slowly backs away but the music interrupts and out comes Solo to stand with Heyman. Heyman says here’s a spoiler… Reigns told him all strings are being pulled at this very moment and by the time we get back from commercial break, Sikoa vs. Rollins will be confirmed for tonight. Fans pop. Rollins says there’s no need to make the people wait to make it official… Rollins says Solo is on. Rollins laughs and drops the mic, then has a staredown with Solo.
– Still to come, Bayley and Dakota Kai have been granted a non-title shot at Raquel Rodriguez and Liv Morgan. We go to commercial.
– Back from the break and we see footage of Cody Rhodes arriving earlier in the day. Adam Pearce approached him and said while Brock Lesnar is also here, it’s a big night and he would prefer things not spiral into chaos. Rhodes walked off.
– We see the doors of the RAW and SmackDown Draft rooms. We also see WWE NXT Superstars watching from the WWE Performance Center in Orlando.
WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions Raquel Rodriguez and Liv Morgan vs. Bayley and Dakota Kai
We go back to the ring and Damage CTRL’s Bayley and Dakota Kai are already out. Out next are WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions Raquel Rodriguez and Liv Morgan for this non-title match as Mike Rome does the introductions.
Kai and Liv trade counters and holds early on. Bayley comes in and slams Liv but misses the elbow drop. Raquel tags in and rocks Bayley. Bayley stuns her but Raquel unloads in the corner.
Liv tags in and the champs use each other as weapons on Bayley. Kai ends up distracting the referee, which allows Bayley to rake the eyes to turn it around, then send Liv to the floor. Kai levels Liv on the floor with a kick into the ring post as we go back to commercial.
Back from the break and Kai nails a running kick to Liv for 2. More back and forth now. Raquel finally tags in and runs wild with signature offense on Kai but she kicks out at 2. Liv is ready to leap off Raquel’s shoulders butt Bayley interrupts and it back-fires. Bayley rams Raquel into the edge of the apron at ringside.
Kai looks to finish Liv but Raquel rushes in to break it up. They all tangle on the apron now and Bayley tags in but Liv doesn’t see it. Liv drops Kai with Ob-Liv-ion, but Bayley takes advantage and stacks Liv up for the pin to win.
Winners: Damage CTRL
– After the match, Bayley and Kai celebrate as the music hits and we go to replays. Liv and Raquel look on as Bayley hugs Kai.
– We see Booker T come out of the RAW Draft room, while his wife Sharmell comes out of the SmackDown room. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and we see footage of Brock Lesnar walking backstage earlier in the day. Adam Pearce approaches Lesnar and mentions Cody Rhodes being here tonight. Pearce says he’d like to keep the peace. Lesnar laughs and says good luck with that. Lesnar walks off and we get a video package on the Lesnar vs. Rhodes feud.
– We go back to the stage for Round Two of the WWE Draft Night 2 as WWE Hall of Famers Booker T and Sharmell are out. Booker announces that RAW has selected Undisputed WWE Tag Team Champions Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn. SmackDown has selected The Usos, keeping The Bloodline on the blue brand. RAW selects The Judgment Day’s Finn Balor, Dominik Mysterio and Damian Priest, keeping the four-person group on RAW. SmackDown selects The LWO (Rey Mysterio, Santos Escobar, Cruz Del Toro, Joaquin Wilde, Zelina Vega).
Braun Strowman and Ricochet vs. Alpha Academy
We go back to the ring and out comes Braun Strowman and Ricochet. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and out comes Alpha Academy – Otis and Chad Gable with Maxxine Dupri. Ricochet and Gable start things off, trading holds in the middle of the ring.
Gable stuns Ricochet with a big chop. Ricochet with a scissors takedown and a stiff kick. Gable goes for a German suplex but he eats a back elbow. Ricochet ends up springboarding in from the apron but Gable ducks. They go back & forth until Gable nails a big German suplex.
Otis and Braun tag in at the same time now as fans pop. Otis unloads on Braun in the corner and splashes him. Braun comes right back with a big running corner splash of his own.
Braun hits a big flying crossbody as fans pop. Braun scoop slams Otis in the middle of the ring. Ricochet tags in and walks Braun’s shoulders, then hits the Swanton off Braun’s shoulders to Otis for the pin to win.
Winners: Braun Strowman and Ricochet
– After the match, Strowman and Ricochet stand tall as the music hits.
– We see WWE Senior Vice President of Talent Development Creative Shawn Michaels coming out of the RAW Draft room, while Adam Pearce comes out of the SmackDown Draft room. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get a video package to hype the Backlash Street Fight between Damian Priest and Bad Bunny.
– We go back to the stage and out first comes WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels for Round Three of the WWE Draft Night 2. We see the NXT Superstars watching from Orlando. Adam Pearce is out next. Shawn goes to make the first announcement but the music interrupts and out comes Brock Lesnar to a big pop.
Lesnar is all business as he marches to the ring. Pearce walks with him, trying to talk him down, but Lesnar stops and stares at him. Pearce goes back to the stage and Lesnar continues walking to the ring, no smiles. Fans boo now but they cheer when Lesnar shouts-out Fort Worth. Lesnar asks how it feels to be looking at the only real cowboy in the state. Pearce interrupts as a group of security guards come to ringside. Pearce says we can’t do this tonight, we have business to discuss and Draft business trumps everything else. Pearce asks Lesnar to leave or his men will help him leave.
Lesnar says that’s a hell of a lot of men, but Pearce will need more than that. Pearce sends another group of guards down but Lesnar is ready. The music hits and out comes Cody Rhodes to a pop. Lesnar waits for a fight but Cody attacks from behind and drops him. Security swarms Cody as Lesnar regroups at ringside and looks on. Security holds Cody back on the ropes while other guards hesitate to back Lesnar away. Lesnar has a small cut but he smiles at Cody, then turns to walk to the back as we go back to commercial.
Back from the break and Shawn resumes Round Three. He announces that RAW has selected WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions Liv Morgan and Raquel Rodriguez. Pearce is not here so Shawn will be handling his announcements. SmackDown selects Asuka. RAW selects The New Day’s Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods. SmackDown selects Sheamus, Butch and Ridge Holland of The Brawling Brutes.
– We see Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn backstage. Matt Riddle shows up and talks about how this week was so great, and they got drafted to the same brand so they can hang out all the time. Riddle is also looking forward to beating up Jimmy Uso tonight. Riddle walks off and Owens is not thrilled with the idea of hanging out with Riddle.
Matt Riddle vs. Jimmy Uso
We go back to the ring and out comes Matt Riddle with Undisputed WWE Tag Team Champions Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens. We see how Zayn and Owens retained over The Usos on Friday’s SmackDown. The music hits and out next comes Jimmy Uso with Jey Uso. Kevin Patrick hypes Riddle, Zayn and Owens vs. The Usos and Solo Sikoa at WWE Backlash.
The bell rings and Jimmy goes at it with Riddle. Jey nails an enziguri to the back of Riddle’s head to put him down while the referee is distracted. Owens comes over and confronts Jey at ringside and they have words while Jimmy unloads on Riddle in the corner on the other side of the ring, while the referee warns Jimmy.
Owens suddenly falls to the floor, and Sami comes over and grabs a steel chair, then throws it to Jey. Jey catches the chair, and Sami yells for the referee to come over and see what has happened. The referee sees Owens down with Jey holding the chair, so he ejects Jey to the back as fans pop. Zayn, Owens and Riddle stand together at ringside as Jimmy looks on. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and Jimmy catches Riddle with a big slam for 2. More back and forth now. Riddle rocks Jimmy and clotheslines him in the corner. Riddle with a big Exploder suplex from the corner. Jimmy gets his knees up to block the Bro-ton.
Jimmy runs into a back elbow. Riddle goes to the top but Jimmy knocks him down to the floor, and he lands hard. Jimmy goes to ringside and superkicks Owens. Jimmy brings it back in and blocks the Ripcord knee, then rocks Riddle with an enziguri. Jimmy superkicks Riddle for a close 2 count in the middle of the ring.
Jimmy drops Riddle once again but he kicks out and Jimmy can’t believe it. Jimmy exposes a top turnbuckle while the referee is distracted with Riddle, but Owens drops Jimmy with a big knee strike. Riddle recovers and goes to the top to take advantage, hitting the Floating Bro for the pin to win.
Winner: Matt Riddle
– After the match, Riddle stands tall as the music hits. We go to replays. Riddle celebrates with the champs now but Owens is annoyed once again.
– We get a hype video on IYO SKY. Corey Graves hypes SKY vs. RAW Women’s Champion Bianca Belair for WWE Backlash.
– Eric Bischoff comes walking out of the RAW Draft room. Rob Van Dam comes out of the SmackDown room, but bumps into Elias and Rick Boogs. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Paul Heyman is backstage hyping up Solo Sikoa, telling him how Roman Reigns wants him to take out Seth Rollins tonight. Jimmy Uso walks in and wonders why his brother wasn’t at ringside for the Matt Riddle match. Heyman says Solo was recruited to take out this clown, so he needed to focus on that. Heyman and Solo exit the room so Jimmy can have it to himself.
– We go back to the stage for Round 4 of the WWE Draft Night 2 as WWE Hall of Famers Eric Bischoff and Rob Van Dam are out. Fans chant for RVD. Bischoff announces that RAW selects WWE Hall of Famer Trish Stratus. RVD announces that SmackDown picks Karrion Kross and Scarlett. RAW selects Ronda Rousey and Shayna Baszler. SmackDown selects LA Knight. Yeah.
– We go to the ring for another must see edition of MizTV as The Miz welcomes us. He talks about how RAW has racked up in the 2023 WWE Draft, which includes his own pick. Miz then hypes up tonight’s guest and introduces new RAW Superstar Shinsuke Nakamura, who comes out to a pop and some pyro.
Miz plays along with the theme as Nakamura enters the ring. Miz then welcomes Nakamura to RAW. Miz goes over Nakamura’s accomplishments and says he now has a chance to be the new WWE World Heavyweight Champion. We see the title on display. Miz asks Nakamura if he thinks he has a chance at winning the title. Nakamura mumbles something and Miz mocks him. Miz says we all know Triple H was referring to him when he talked about a workhorse winning the new title. Miz goes on about how he’s the hardest worker and the face of WWE. Miz says Nakamura can be a good #2. Miz proposes they form a partnership and help each other.
Nakamura says he knows Miz is more experienced, but he knows that Miz is something else here on RAW… Nakamura says a name in Japanese. Miz likes the sound of it and says it must be positive. They chant this and Nakamura laughs. Miz hugs Nakamura and asks him what this phrase translates to. Nakamura says it means… he looks below Miz’s belt. Tiny balls. Nakamura wants Miz to chant this again and he won’t, but fans do. An angry Miz tries to attack but Nakamura counters and then lays him out with Kinshasa in the middle of the ring. Nakamura stands tall as his music hits.
– We see free agent Omos and MVP walking backstage. Back to commercial.
Omos vs. Anthony Alanis
Back from the break and out comes Omos with MVP as Mike Rome does the introductions. Enhancement talent Anthony Alanis is already waiting in the ring as Omos enters and yells out.
The bell rings and Alanis unloads with body shots but Omos just takes them. Alanis with a punch to the face and some trash talking.
Omos counters and scoops Alanis, then launches him face-first into the top turnbuckle. Omos then runs over Alanis with a big boot as MVP barks from ringside. Omos then lifts Alanis for the big chokebomb in the middle of the ring for the pin to get the squash win.
– After the match, Omos stands tall and steps on Alanis’ heart as the music hits and we go to replays. Omos now yells out and talks some trash.
– We see Triple H’s unveiling of the new WWE World Heavyweight Title from last week.
– WWE Producer Molly Holly is coming out of the RAW Draft room while Senior Vice President of Live Events “Road Dogg” Brian James comes out of the SmackDown Draft room. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and it’s time for Round Five of the WWE Draft Night 2. We go to the stage and out comes WWE Hall of Famers Molly Holly and “Road Dogg” Brian James. Holly announces that RAW selects the team of Braun Strowman and Ricochet. Road Dogg announces that SmackDown selects Shotzi. RAW selects Bronson Reed. SmackDown selects Pretty Deadly’s Elton Prince and Kit Wilson of NXT. We see Pretty Deadly and other NXT stars reacting to the pick at the WWE Performance Center.
The Judgment Day vs. The LWO
We go back to the ring and out comes The Judgment Day – Finn Balor, Dominik Mysterio, Damian Priest and SmackDown Women’s Champion Rhea Ripley. Priest takes the mic and comments on how The Judgment Day stays united on RAW, and how Ripley was the #1 Draft pick.
Ripley asks if there was ever any doubt who would be the #1 pick because she stays on top. She says RAW thought they would get rid of The Judgment Day that easy but they run RAW. Ripley says she will make Zelina Vega regret everything she’s done on SmackDown when she reminds everyone why she’s the most dominant. Balor goes on about how Priest will destroy Bad Bunny in their Street Fight. Priest addresses Bunny but he gets the “What!?” treatment. Priest goes on in Spanish as the “What!?” chants continue. Priest says Bunny will receive his punishment at WWE Backlash. Dominik goes to speak but the loud boos drown him out. Balor tells them to let Dominik speak. He tries again but the boos pick up and a “you suck!” chant starts. Dominik tries again but the boos cut him off. Dominik can’t wait until Mami… until she and Priest… the boos cut him off again. Until Mami and Priest dominate at Backlash, he yells over the boos. Another “you suck!” chant starts up. Dominik says like The Judgment Day will dominate tonight, and since The LWO got drafted to SmackDown, it looks like this is the last night he gets to embarrass his deadbeat dad and his loser friends before they run and hide on SmackDown. The music interrupts and out comes The LWO – 2023 WWE Hall of Famer Rey Mysterio, Santos Escobar and Zelina Vega. Rey says that’s not how the Draft works, they’re not hiding on SmackDown, but he’s glad he and Dominik are on different brands because the next beating would’ve made the belt at WrestleMania 39 look like nothing. Rey can’t wait to see Vega leave WWE Backlash with the title. Rey goes on hyping up The LWO and says he can’t wait to see Bad Bunny beat Priest and anyone else stupid enough to get in his way. Rey promises The LWO will smash The Judgment Day. We go to commercial as the two factions face off.
Back from the break and we get a promo for Imperium coming to RAW. We go back to the ring and Rey looks to start off with Dominik but Rhea tags in. Rhea gets in Rey’s face and taunts him until Vega flies in and takes Ripley out.
Vega and Ripley tangle now. Vega blocks the Riptide with a Guillotine. They go at it and Priest tags in. Escobar meets him but gets rocked. Escobar mounts offense and nails a running knee in the corner. Escobar chops Priest and kicks away but turns back and runs into a huge forearm to the mouth. Priest then drops Rey on the apron.
Escobar comes back with a high knee to send Priest to the floor. Dominik runs in but Escobar nails a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker. Rey tags in and takes Priest back down with a senton. Rey confronts Dominik at ringside but he hides behind Ripley as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Priest is dominating Escobar in the corner. Escobar charges with a big dropkick and they both go down. The Mysterios tag in and go at it now. Rey nails his signature offense and mounts Dominik in the corner as fans count along with the right hands. Dominik escapes but Rey keeps fighting and hits a springboard crossbody for 2 as Rhea makes the save.
Rhea drops Vega with a big right hand. Rhea presses Vega above her head but she fights out with a 619 to the gut. Vega sends Rhea to the floor. Dominik drops his dad but hits the ring post when Rey moves. Rey knocks Priest into position for 619 but Balor distracts the referee, allowing Dominik to trip his dad from the floor.
Escobar with a big suicide dive to Dominik. Ripley levels Escobar with a big dropkick on the floor. Vega leaps off the apron with a Meteora to the floor to take Ripley down. Rey escapes the Razor’s Edge and goes for 619 on Priest but Balor sacrifices himself, which allows Priest to hit South of Heaven on Rey for the pin to win.
Winners: The Judgment Day
– After the match, The Judgment Day stands tall as the music hits. We go to replays. Priest yells out with words for Bad Bunny as The Judgment Day regroups.
– We see what happened earlier with Brock Lesnar and Cody Rhodes. Cathy Kelley stops Cody and asks if Lesnar is in his head. Cody says Lesnar is in his head, and he’s been there ever since the RAW After WrestleMania. Cody says now Lesnar has negotiated this free agency that allows him to go where and when he wants. He says what Lesnar wants, Lesnar gets, but not at WWE Backlash. He says tonight we found out Lesnar is human. Cody says at Backlash, Lesnar doesn’t even have to win, but Cody does. Cody says if he doesn’t win at Backlash, then the idea of finishing the story ceases to exist and he is at the back of the line, which he refuses to do. Cody says he will never be at the back of the list. Cody thanks Cathy and walks off.
– We see JBL coming out of the RAW Draft room, while Teddy Long comes out of the SmackDown room. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Byron Saxton is with RAW Women’s Champion Bianca Belair. She doesn’t care which brand she is on, as long as she can represent the WWE Universe to the best of her ability, and that means retaining over IYO SKY at Backlash. She says even though she reps the blue now, she has nothing but love for the red. She says she will send SKY to SmackDown empty handed. Damage CTRL shows up laughing now. Bayley asks Saxton why he’s interviewing Belair and not the top 3 Draft picks. Belair brushes Bayley’s taunts off and goes on about how she was excited to see SKY come to RAW, but she went and got involved with two females that have held her back. Belair hopes SKY gets a taste of stepping out and shining on her own, but after Belair retains at Backlash. SKY speaks in Japanese and she looks angry. Bayley goes to translate but Belair cuts her off and says there’s no need to because she and SKY have an understanding. SKY stares at Belair, then Belair leaves.
– We go back to the stage and out come WWE Hall of Famers JBL and Teddy Long for Round Six of the WWE Draft Night 2, which is the final round of the night. JBL announces that Alpha Academy’s Otis and Chad Gable are staying on RAW. Rick Boogs is staying on SmackDown. RAW selects Katana Chance and Kayden Carter from NXT. We see the NXT talents reacting at the WWE Performance Center. Chance and Carter then face off with NXT Women’s Tag Team Champions Isla Dawn and Alba Fyre, who were also drafted to RAW. The two teams will battle in a tag team match tomorrow night. SmackDown selects Cameron Grimes.
– We go backstage to Xavier Woods, who hypes up The New Day coming to RAW. Woods says he and Kofi Kingston will inject a little bit of life into the red brand.
Solo Sikoa vs. Seth Rollins
We go back to the ring for tonight’s main event and out comes Solo Sikoa with Paul Heyman. Solo hits the ring and yells out as we go back to commercial.
Back from the break and it’s confirmed that more Draft picks will be made on RAW Talk. The announcers look at the Backlash card. We go back to the ring and out comes Seth Rollins as fans sing along with his theme.
The bell rings and they size each other up. Rollins dodges Solo as he charges. They lock up and Solo takes it to the corner, but Rollins ducks the right hand. Rollins taunts Sikoa. Solo covers his ears as fans continue singing. They run the ropes and Rollins ducks, then leaps to the floor to avoid Solo.
Rollins poses at ringside to conduct his orchestra. Rollins makes Solo chase him back in, and he almost gets caught. They go at it now and Solo beats Rollins into the corner, then beats him down. Solo yells out.
Solo keeps control but Rollins dumps him over the top rope to the floor. Rollins goes for a suicide dive but Solo rushes in with a spinning heel kick to cut him off. Solo stands tall as we go back to commercial.
Back from the break and they’re going at it. Solo drops Rollins with ease. Solo then misses in the corner and hits the top of the ring post. Rollins with a big chop and right hands now. Solo is against the ropes as Rollins unloads. Rollins with big forearm shots to stun Solo.
Rollins gets caught but he fights out to avoid the Spinning Solo. Rollins with kicks and a clothesline to send Solo to the floor to regroup. Rollins runs the ring and nails a suicide dive to send Solo into the announce table. Rollins with a second dive to send Solo onto the table. Rollins goes for a third dive and nails it, sending Sikoa onto the table again. Rollins brings it back in and springboards but Solo avoids the knee, then catches him in a big Samoan Drop. Rollins kicks out just in time as Heyman looks on.
Heyman is making a ringside phone call now, likely to The Tribal Chief. Rollins counters Solo with a cradle for 2. Rollins superkicks Solo but misses the rolling elbow, and Solo catches him with the Spinning Solo in the middle of the ring. Rollins kicks out at 2. Rollins rocks Solo in the jaw with a big slap. Rollins taunts Solo while down. Solo grabs Rollins from the mat and spikes him with another Spinning Solo. Sikoa mounts Rollins with big strikes but the referee has to pull him off. Solo follows Rollins to the floor and slams his head into the announce table.
Solo scoops Rollins but Rollins slides out and sends him face-first into the ring post. They bring it back in and Rollins nails a superkick, then a forearm. The Usos suddenly hit the ring and attack Rollins for the disqualification.
Winner by DQ: Seth Rollins
– After the bell, The Usos continue assisting Sikoa but Matt Riddle and Undisputed WWE Tag Team Champions Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens immediately run down to make the save as the Backlash go-home and Draft Night 2 edition of RAW goes off the air.