Leyla Hirsch issues statement after Revolution gear sparks some criticism

Mar 10, 2022 - by Colin Vassallo

AEW star Leyla Hirsch had to issue a statement after some fans pointed out that she wore the Russian colors on her gear during the Revolution Buy-In show this past Sunday.

Hirsch, who was born in Moscow but came to the United States at the age of eight after she was adopted by an American family and became a U.S. citizen, said she wanted to make it clear that she stood with Ukraine 100% and her heart breaks for its citizens who are suffering at the hands of Putin.

“I cannot change my heritage any more than any other citizen can change theirs. The mere fact that I was born in Russia does not mean that I support this brutal dictator. Everyone who would even suggest such a thing is simply wrong, plain and simple,” Hirsch wrote.

The 25-year-old was offered an AEW deal back in March of last year and had been working for the company on a per-appearances basis since October 2020.

1. Carlos says:

Wise words.

2. James says:

I agree, but at the same time, a missed opportunity to use it as heat, if she’s a heel.

3. Carlos says:

James she could’ve definitely used it for heel heat, but there has been a huge backlash on people openly supporting either side of the conflict. I don’t think she’d care for loads of negative comments and replies.

4. CM Chippunk says:

Boo-hoo. We just got out of a 20 year, $8.5 trillion war in the Middle East, in which 200,000 civilians were killed. When it comes to being cold-blooded mass murderers, USA is number one. Getting upset about the Russians invading Ukraine, especially when NATO and U.S. have been goading them them to do it? lol.

5. DB says:

Some people are easily manipulated by propaganda and then attack innocent people due to the programming. Shame on the propagandists.

6. What? says:

Taking the wrong side of a political issue used to be a way to get heat…in the 80s. These days, it’s the quickest way to get real-life canceled. Long-time wrestling fans still know the difference and would understand what Hirsch and AEW were doing, but there are too many people out there who would get legit (pun mostly unintended) offended, to the point that they may not be able to come back from it.

7. CM Head says:

I did notice this past week when she came out, Justin Roberts did not announce that Hirsch was “from Moscow, Russia.”

8. Pisto75666 says:

@CM Chippunk

Thanks for letting us know which side you’re on. I’m sure everyone appreciates it.