Toni Storm released from WWE

Dec 29, 2021 - by Colin Vassallo

Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful Wrestling broke the news that Toni Storm has been released from WWE today.

The 26-year-old from New Zealand was just in a feud with Charlotte Flair on Smackdown and had a Smackdown Women’s title match on the show which aired last Friday. It’s unclear why she was released and WWE has not publicly announced it either.

Storm started with WWE in 2017 as part of the Mae Young Classic tournament and was then part of the NXT UK brand, winning the NXT UK Women’s title from Rhea Ripley in January 2019. She lost the title six months later to Kay Lee Ray.

She then moved to the NXT brand in the United States later in 2019 and was called up to the main roster in July of this year where she has been part of the Smackdown brand.

1. Motorhead says:

Unfortunately I never felt like Storm adjusted to the big stage. WWE gave her every opportunity and she just seemed to be holding back. If you look at Liv Morgan and the success that Morgan is having, for the moment at least, and then look at Storm you’ll see what I mean. Liv is selling her ass off, working to get the angles and program over. Storm just seemed like she was hoping it would all take care of itself. I can’t explain it any better than that. Maybe it had nothing to do with her work but I think the release is a godsend for Storm. Who knows, maybe Storm goes back, learns a new hold (as they say), and finds the confidence she seems to be lacking. It’s not over for her in WWE. It’s never over for anyone. Storm just needs to let go and sellout in the ring. If she’s not believing what she’s doing then we can’t either. It’s really as simple as that.

2. Alex says:

Here we go again…

3. Kyle Christie says:

Actually said this out loud when I read the title, “What the f***? Why?!” This doesn’t make sense. Sure, if this happened before the Charlotte feud, I could somewhat understand as she was never being used but she was just featured in that feud. I didn’t personally like the way she was booked / used in the buildup to the matches and the match themselves but at least she was being used.
    This is a shocker and strange that it’s just the one release.

4. art123guy says:

Not sure why anyone is surprised. It’s just Vince getting rid of another HHH NXT wrestler.

5. mth says:

From what I’ve read elsewhere, she requested the release. So you can’t be mad at WWE for giving it to her if that’s the case. I’m sure she’ll be successful elsewhere as she’s super talented. I am a big fan and I hope she’s happy whatever she does.

6. Captain Ass says:

Good. She wasn’t even close to being a main eventer, in my book. Not convincing at all. For Charlotte to lose to her would have been an embarrassment and a mistake. Time to move on to the land of the rejects.

7. Drew says:

Well, if she actually requested her release then I’m glad she got it.
    If this was on the WWE side, they’re giving me less reasons to watch their programming.