CM Punk returns on AEW Rampage!

Aug 20, 2021 - by Steve Gerweck

It’s clobbering time!

After seven long years, Chicago’s favorite wrestler CM Punk has finally returned to professional wrestling, this time away from the bright lights of WWE and in front of the newer lights of All Elite Wrestling.

Hyped for several weeks without his name being mentioned, Punk was the focus of the second episode of AEW’s newest television show Rampage which took place live from the sold-out United Center in Chicago, home of the Chicago Bulls.

And the big-feel show lived up to the hype, something that cannot be said most of the time for wrestling events.

As soon as Rampage came on air, over 15,000 fans were shown screaming their lungs out for CM Punk…and they did not have to wait for long as Cult of Personality hit the speakers to one of the biggest pops
in television history.

A visibly-emotional CM Punk came out on the ramp, surveying the crowd who by that time was in delirium. He hugged fans and even jumped over the security wall and took his time to get in the ring.

Once inside the squared circle, Punk told fans that he is back and has a lot to say but unfortunately he couldn’t say everything tonight…but fortunately he has Fridays, Wednesdays, and four Sundays a year to do it because he’s back for good.

Sitting down just like he did when he dropped the pipe bomb on Raw, Punk said that he wouldn’t have healed physically, mentally, or spiritually if he stayed in the same place he was working before, his first dig at his previous employer WWE.

He mentioned that on August 13, 2005, he had his final match at Ring of Honor and had tears in his eyes because he knew that was the last time he was part of professional wrestling. But today, August 20, 2021, he is back in professional wrestling to a large ovation from the crowd who never stopped cheering for him.

Punk said he’s back because he sees a lot of great young talent in the back and has some scores settle. He said he wishes he saw that hunger and talent when he left ROH but now they are available so why not return?

Punk then turned his sights on Darby Allin, who was in the rafters with Sting, and challenged him to a match at All Out.

Before he left, Punk told the crowd that seven years is a long time to wait for somebody so he arranged a free ice cream bar for everyone!

1. Nolo King says:

What good is it bringing these people in when the product sucks?

2. Horner in Your Corner says:

I’m not sure I understand why you would put him in a match against Darby. If you put Darby over that’s great for him, he beats what you consider to be a legitimate star. But you just introduced punk and he should win his first program, so this is probably going to end in some type of weird way

3. Stonz says:

WWE is getting bad, but I still watch it from time to time. AEW definitely does NOT suck and I never miss a Wed. or Fri. night when it comes on. Their programming is much better in AEW, as are the storylines and the matches. WWE keeps having the same guys wrestle each other over and over. It’s just stale.

4. dooman says:

and the other company has who…Logan paul??? whoo????????

5. John says:

I’m sorry this was my summerslam ppv right here. I’m skipping summerslam seriously. Right now the wwe is an afterthought. I just don’t care wwe right now

6. John says:

Looks like I’m going to be watching wrestling again and jumping over to aew and watching on Wednesdays and Fridays

7. Mark says:

What a waste! It was on Rampage instead of Dynamite (which airs on TV in more countries than Rampage does)

8. Pisto75666 says:

Poor Darby Alin. Supposed to be a big deal in AEW but apparently he’s only there to put over ex WWE wrestlers. Yawn.

9. HereForTheLawls says:

The ratings will kill it for 1 month, once people realize the rest of the product sucks they’ll tune out, just 1 man wont hold AEW. They need to add 3 or 4 more bigger name people or in that nonth get some good break outs but they’ve had how long to get a few breakouts and failed. Then add what the heck is WWE going to do to fire back? You know they wont just sit back tanking, Vince is modern day dumb to the product but USA and Fox are already mad so they have to counter punch. The first big shot has been fired in the war but right now the war on both sides isn’t entertaining.

10. Jon says:

I like CM Punk, but his WWE run made him who he is today. CM Punk wouldn’t have been standing in that arena last night if it wasn’t for his WWE run. To say he left professional wrestling in 2005 is just disingenuous.

11. Joseph says:

If it wasn’t for his time in the WWE, I wouldn’t even know who he was.

12. art123guy says:

@Jon–He’s saying he left professional wrestling in 2005, started sports entertainment in 2006 and returned to professional wrestling in 2021. Yes, WWE helped make him a star, but he quit because wrestling wasn’t fun anymore. A lot of people are probably gonna say he’s only doing it ONLY for the money, but I don’t think he woulda gone to the WWE if they offered him more.

13. Joseph says:

Explain to me the difference between “sports entertainment” and “professional wrestling”? I’ve been watching since the late 70s, early 80s and I can’t see any difference between the two.

14. Stonz says:

“Sports Entertainment” is basically what Vince wants to call it to get around all of those state licensing fees and all that whatnot that “wrestling” companies have to deal with. That’s one of the reasons he will have his commentators duck and dodge using “wrestling terms” during the broadcasts. Also, why he calls his performers WWE Superstars instead of wrestling. If you’ll listen, you rarely ever, if at all, hear WWE use the word “wrestling” during their broadcasts. There is more, but this is just what comes to mind at the time.

15. Joseph says:

Does it matter if they use “sports entertainment” instead of “professional wrestling”? Does it matter if they don’t use wrestling terms during their broadcast? At the end of the day it’s the same product being put out by both companies.

16. art123guy says:

‘Professional wrestling’ is more wrestling than story line and ‘sports entertainment’ is more story line that wrestling. You simply CANNOT say WWE and ROH are the same which is where the original comparison for this promo comes from, NOT from WWE and AEW. He’s adding AEW because he feels, from what he’s seen apparently, that they have a more wrestling based product. In a few weeks he may change his mind, but for now, this is his belief. And if both companies are putting out the same product, why do so many fans on each side hate the other product so much?

17. Joseph says:

why do so many fans on each side hate the other product so much? I’m not sure. I don’t like AEW. I tried to watch Dynamite and I’m not a fan of the show. I can see matches I like, but overall I’m just not a fan. Do I hate AEW? No. I don’t see why anyone would hate either show except to say that maybe they feel that they need to take a side.