CM Punk possibly teases new contract

Aug 16, 2021 - by Marc Middleton

CM Punk took to Instagram this afternoon and fueled rumors and speculation on his pro wrestling status.

Punk posted a new Instagram story with just three letters listed: “05, 11, 21”

Punk did not explain what the numbers mean, but fans are speculating that these could be the years he signed major wrestling contracts in.

Punk originally signed his WWE developmental deal in 2005, then he signed a much-talked-about contract in the summer of 2011, which was used in the storylines. Could “21” be a reference to Punk signing with AEW or returning to WWE this year?

Punk is rumored to make his AEW debut during Friday’s “The First Dance” edition of AEW Rampage on TNT, which will air live from the United Center in Chicago. He’s also rumored to wrestle his first match for AEW at the All Out pay-per-view on September 5, but nothing has been confirmed as of this writing.

Stay tuned for more on Punk’s status. Below is a screenshot of his new Instagram Story post:

1. Captain Ass says:

Does anyone truly care? After so many years of nothing, getting his ass kicked in the UFC and now being 42 and surely having a lot of ring rust, the guy has made his reputation out of being an ass and difficult to work with. I couldn’t care less what he does next, but I’d love to see him get his ass beat in the UFC again. Used to be talented in the ring and I’m sure still talented on the mic? Yes. Old news? Yes. Past his prime and with a price tag way too high? YES.

2. Joseph says:

I couldn’t care less what he does. For me it’s that he simply cannot fight and his going to the UFC proved that. I can’t watch him talking about how he’s the best in the world knowing that he’s really not talented.

3. Hans Maulwurf says:

Ain’t it funny how people who act like they don’t care have the most to say about something?
    If you really wouldn’t care, you wouldn’t read news about him or even comment the news. A grown up and especially spritually mature person would simply ignore things he or she doesn’t care about. As long as they aren’t little trolls and attention wh***s. You care about him more than you say.

Wanna bet the fans will go bananas (god bless Monsoon) if CM Punk appears?

Btw I always have to laugh if people whine about him being “difficult to work with”. If your boss makes you promises and doesn’t keep them, if the company would treat you like trash (remember the case about that WWE doc that Punk even won?) what would you do? Most people would quit sooner or later.
    The funniest thing is that the same smartmarks who complain about Punk, are the same who complain who say “Boohoo, wrestler xyz is getting booked like shit, they promised him this and promised him that. He should quit!”. How many times did smartmarks go nuts because WWE ruined Dolph Ziggler again and again?
    I bet if Ziggler would have said “F*** it!” and would have quit his WWE job, the same people who always say “Worker gets treated like shit, he should quit!” would run their mouth about him too like they do about Punk.

Some smartmarks really are HYPOCRITES!

But since you compare him getting whipped in UFC with his wrestling abilities (“Boohoo he got his ass kicked in UFC and this guy is calling himself the best in the world?”), no sane person could take you serious anymore. Comparing a real fight to the scripted world of pro wrestling makes you dumbmarks. That’s the perfect word for you two, Joseph and Captain “The second word of my name says what I am”!

4. Hans Maulwurf says:

Okay, I tried to say something about the comments of those two hypocrites who are acting like they don’t care about Punk and still they read and comment news about him. I didn’t even insult…
    But I get censored again.
    Fine, admins. Seems like I have to make this public and share it in other wrestling communities and on YouTube, Facebook, Reddit, Twitter and other social media. I screencapped when I tried to post the same comment again. No “Your comment awaits moderation”.
    This community isn’t the same anymore if people get censored for nothing. What happened to freedom of speech? I thought this was America and not China!

5. Mackdeezy says:

It would be weird to include only his WWE dates and then insinuating AEW is the last…. then again, I can see Tony Kahn finding humor in it.

My point being, wouldn’t it make sense to include his ROH and TNA start dates as well?

6. Luke says:

Not defending Punk as I don’t really care about him either, but who cares what happened in UFC? Flair, Hogan, Austin (just to name a few), they all would have had their asses handed to them in UFC in their respective primes. So what?

7. Joseph says:

@Hans Maulwurf – Liking someone is not a prerequisite to being able to read and comment on articles about them.

@Luke – I don’t think any of them can fight but the difference between them and Punk is that they never went out and proved that they can’t really fight.

8. Luke says:

@Joseph
    Still don’t get your point, apples and oranges. If say Al Pacino (assuming you like him) failed at reality TV, would that make him any less of a great actor?

9. Joseph says:

@Luke – My point is that I can watch one of their matches and even though it’s staged, I can still look at it and part of me can get into it and even believe it. With Punk I cannot do that.

Al Pacino is an actor. If he tried reality tv and failed, he would still be an actor.

10. Snip says:

Punk posted a new Instagram story with just three letters listed: “05, 11, 21”
    If it was simply numbers to letter in alphabetical order then “05, 11, 21” would be “EKU” which makes no sense.

11. Rob Dam Van! Shirt Typo! says:

@Hans Maulwurf

What you laid out makes no sense. Even if someone doesn’t give a damn about him news ABOUT him still affects the overall wrestling landscape.

I don’t give a rat’s ass about the short stop for the Cubs, but when he goes 3/3 with 5 RBIs against my Reds I still read because the overall news pertain to what i’m interested in.

To the MMA thing…I kinda see it. Could Punk put one of us down? Maybe. Wouldn’t have a clue. But just as someone being big in MMA coming into wrestling has clout it should stand to reason that someone coming into wrestling from MMA with only losses should have a certain aura attached to it. The most recent venture he had was him never winning.

Bobby Lashley, Brock, and Swagger all have a sort of badass to them as a result of their ventures. With Punk all we have is that great money shot in his second fight against Mike Jackson at 225 where his nose looks almost sideways lol