The man that cyberbullied Hana Kimura fined

Apr 3, 2021 - by Steve Gerweck

Osaka man has been charged and fined for cyberbullying Hana Kimura. The man was fined 9,000 yen ($81) for sending several messages to Kimura prior to her death.

The messages including comments declaring Kimura had an “awful personality” and also writing “when will you die?” According to Japanese media, he has apologized to the Kimura’s family. However, many fans see the punishment as too lenient.

Kimura received the threats and bullying messages following an episode of “Terrace House: Tokyo” where she was portrayed as rude and aggressive towards a housemate who had damaged her wrestling gear.

Hana’s mother, Kyoko, has for months called on the network, Fuji TV, to take some responsibility in its role in her daughter’s death. She filed a claim that a human rights violation occurred and requested better aftercare for contestants.

The Japan Times have reported that the human rights committee of the Broadcasting Ethics & Program Improvement Organization found that while Fuji TV has “problems in terms of broadcasting ethics” and had paid insufficient attention to the physical and mental well-being of cast members, no human rights violation had taken place.

Hana’s mother was disappointed by the verdict, and in a statement she said, “I hope that Fuji Television reevaluates how they produce programs and not see people as mere pawns but treat them with care as actual individuals.”

The network said it took the media watchdog’s decision “seriously” while adding that it would “make efforts to tackle social media related issues.”

Hana’s mother has recently launched an anti-cyberbullying nonprofit organization. She is appealing to the government to help victims of slander and libel and wants social media etiquette taught at every level of schooling.

1. Kyle Christie says:

Of course it’s too lenient! $81 is all he had to pay for his constant abuse that lead to Hana’s death is pure and utter BS. The laws and punishments for crimes in this world are far too lenient.

2. Mackdeezy says:

See, that’s just not cool. Contributing to someone’s death and all he got was a slap on the wrist.

3. Luke says:

Except that’s not the problem. The problem is that she killed herself because of something that should’ve never bothered her at all. The problem was her state of mind. Her mother wants the network to take responsibility? How about taking some herself? If your child commits suicide, you’re a failure as a parent.
    Oh, and the network is a business. Like all businesses, it tries to give its clients what they want. Maybe stupid people should stop watching reality crap and trying to get involved in the personal lives of celebrities? Maybe celebrities should stop flaunting their personal lives for all to see?

4. fairfax says:

I gotta back Luke up on this one….and Kyle Christie can you actually confirm the “abuse” was constant? Like with proof? Because it cited two messages in the article here…..I mean….this is Pro WRESTLING….listen to Ole Anderson talk about being cut open from navel to collarbone and all the old stories like that. The man who very nearly murdered Ole wasn’t fine a single cent…..he was never found. But this borders on Orwellian Thought Crime….you can’t be held liable for being a wrestling fan so…. I’m by no means ok with her suicide and I wish she’d reached out and gotten help. I hope other going athletes, entertainers, actors/actresses and pro wrestlers look at this tragic situation as an example for NOT commiting suicide…..and while distasteful and scummy I think ANY FINE AT ALL is really pushing boundaries and if it had gone any further I think “Thought Crime” is just around the bend. A bit of mercy and grace to you fellas….a bit of mercy and grace for us each and all could make this world a little brighter.

5. Jay says:

@Luke what an ignorant, trolling comment. You’re completely incorrect, insensitive and disgusting. I hope you don’t ever experience seriously poor mental health/have a child who suffers.

6. Joseph says:

On one hand I think the fine is a little too lenient. On the other hand I have to think that she could have just stopped reading his messages and simply turned off her social media. I’m not condoning his actions. Yes he contributed, but I don’t think you can fully blame him for what happened to her.

7. Luke says:

@Jay
    So is that your sensitivity that makes me so important to you that you decided to make this personal and try to bully me?

8. Pisto75666 says:

@ Luke

Oh go sell that “poor me” BS somewhere else . You’re on a public forum, not your own living room. You trolled for a reaction and you got it. Based on your comment maybe you have some mental health issues that should be looked into.

9. Luke says:

@Pisto75666
    Was just pointing out his hypocrisy, sorry you missed the point, I promise to try to be more clear in the future.