NBCUniversal & WWE Issue Statements on Programming Edits for Peacock Service

Mar 28, 2021 - by James Walsh

The New York Times has published an article on NBCUniversal editing out racially insensitive and offensive material from WWE content following the transfer of the WWE Network content to the Peacock streaming service in the United States. As previously reported, Peacock removed problematic content from past WWE shows. These include the angle involving Roddy Piper wearing blackface at WrestleMania 6 for his match with Bad News Brown. Vince McMahon using a racial slur at Survivor Series 2005 was also removed.

Additionally, The Hollywood Reporter stated that Peacock is looking to review over 17,000 hours of WWE programming and will remove any material that the service believes doesn’t align with the media company’s standards and practices. Also, WWE is being informed of any edits that are made.

In the latest story from The New York Times, both NBCUniversal/Peacock and WWE offered statements on the edits. According to NBC Universal, Peacock is “reviewing WWE content to ensure it aligns with Peacock’s standards and practices,” as it does other shows and films on the platform.

Also, WWE added on the process, “Peacock and WWE are reviewing all past content to ensure it fits our 2021 standards.”

The migration of WWE Network to the streaming service began on March 18. Peacock will be the exclusive streaming home for WWE content starting April 4. The current reported goal is to have all of WWE’s classic content reviewed and available to stream by before SummerSlam 2021 later this year.

1. Stonz says:

Same story we’ve heard over and over for a week or so now.

2. Jason Mesick says:

Don’t agree with the piper thing. I think people are to sensitive.

3. Mackdeezy says:

I will find hard irony with them keeping Katie Vick in but removing things that no one truly found offensive.

4. Josh says:

I take it the hilarious dx impersonation of the nation segment isn’t going to make the cut?

5. Alex burns says:

I’m already saying goodbye to the whole attitude era

6. Snip says:

Good riddance to the Attitude Era if they cut it as while it was WWE at their most profitable time (standout profit wrestlers at that time in merch sales being Austin, DX, Undertaker and The Rock) and its highest ratings, it was also when women were treated badly and gave us Charles Wright’s pimp gimmick The Godfather which is much less memorable than Papa Shango (his voodoo priest gimmick) considering Shango made Warrior spew black liquid.

There’s so many standout “moments” but the wrestling in-between the spots wasn’t up to par. How many Terri Runnels matches can you actually sit through? There was also terrible crap (e.g. The biggest being Blue Blazer that led to Owen Hart losing his live in a stunt gone wrong at Over The Edge 1999), sex jokes, women treated as sex objects (especially by Lawler who was at his worse on commentary in this era and a complete disregard for women as athletes with Bra & Panties matches and bikini contests) and over-the-top terrible bad comedy.

7. Motorhead says:

@Snip: you’re part of the problem. It’s not the content, per se, it’s the fact that the content is being screwed with at all. Who are they to decide what I can or cannot see? Who are you, Snip, to decide that for that matter? Your opinion means nothing to me. They are NOT editing any other content on Peacock. Not any of the N-words in the stand-up programs or any of the nudity or foul language in ANY of the films. Imagine if they butchered a scene from Big Lebowski or Christmas Vacation or Blues Brothers or Psycho; as a film buff I’d be just as mad. Only the WWE content, which is ONLY VOD now, there is no live channel, is being messed with. I’m not a fan of the Piper stunt at WM6 and, in hindsight, neither was Piper. But removing it makes it harder to even talk about it and discuss why it was a bad move in the first place. I can’t wait until something you love, a book, film, series, or wrestling event, is cut to fit someone else’s standards (someone who doesn’t understand the context or the history) and we can be indifferent to your concerns. The fact is that we fans can decide for ourselves what we want to watch, we don’t need Peacock choosing for us. We’re not stupid. And we’re NOT RACIST for wanting that choice. It’s not free, this content, which to me makes all the difference. If it were free, fine, do what you want. But if I’m paying for it, that’s different. Where does this stop? What if the 2021 standards aren’t tight enough, no strict enough? What if they come after Lynch calling herself”The Man” for being insensitive to gender neutral people and those undergoing gender reassignment procedures? What then, Snip? Sound ridiculous? So did this crap just 9 weeks ago!

Go to Peacock and see, as I have, what other “offensive” crap is on there and you tell me WWE isn’t being singled out unnecessarily. If you’re one who is so easily offended, how can you even watch wrestling? Might as well burn books with words you don’t like, too. Religious extremism is bad enough but corporate conscience is worse. They should have told fans this is what they had in mind, that and editing commercials into matches every ten minutes. Given the choice I’d rather have the old Network, flaws and all, then this thing. But now WE HAVE NO CHOICE, which makes the edits EVEN WORSE!!

I’m sorry you feel the way you do, but you’re wrong. History shouldn’t be erased to fit the standards of young snowflakes. This isn’t Confederate statues and racist flags, I get that and I support moving those items. This is wrestling. Period. We should be able to TALK ABOUT IT, not run away from it. I’m not cool with ANY form of censorship and you shouldn’t be either. It’s a slippery slope, Snip.

And think about this, Snip: you post your comment about the treatment of women on the same site that STILL has a “Female of the Day”. Irony, isn’t it great? So you can preach to me about WWE’s treatment of women while you stare at scantily clad women wrestlers on the same site. Coooool…. hypocrite.