Was WWE justified for firing Zelina Vega?

Nov 29, 2020 - by Steve Gerweck

Photo Credit: WWE

Was WWE justified for firing Zelina Vega?

No (71%, 393 Votes)
Yes (29%, 162 Votes)

Total Voters: 555

1. Mike Oxmaul says:

Why aren’t the WWE justified in firing her? She signed a contract that came with certain conditions, which she broke. Breaching contracts = a fully justified termination.

2. art123guy says:

@Mike Oxmaul–I’ve never seem a WWE contract, but I don’t think any were written up banning third party services. This was a new rule that WWE made up once it found people were making money on their own and getting over on their own, something WWE doesn’t like.

3. Joseph says:

Yes if it’s in her contract. No if it’s not.

4. Gazz says:

They were absolutely justified releasing her in my opinion. Not only did she refuse to either close or sign over her revenue streams (Twitch and Cameo) to the company as requested, but she also went and opened another (OnlyFans).

On the subject of which, considering the kind of content that is usually found on OF, I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was the opening of that account that was the proverbial straw for WWE.

5. Luke says:

@Gazz
    And what exactly gave the company the right to make that request?

6. Gazz says:

@Luke

I guess instead of the company, I should’ve said “as Vince requested”

Vince must’ve felt that he was owed some sort of recompense from the talent whenever they used their WWE owned names/gimmicks when they recorded a Twitch stream or Cameo message, especially when such streams (from a couple of articles I read) allowed the talent to earn somewhat more money than what they would earn from their weekly wages, which at this point in time for quite a few of the talent, probably wasn’t enough to pay the bills at home, unless of course their travelling less allowed them to put away a bit of money that they would’ve spent on travel/transport, accommodation, and all other bills included.

7. Lukie says:

If everything was in her name, no mention of wwe, zelina vega, or anything else owned and trademarked by the company, then no. If she was making money off of wwe owned content, then yes. No big loss anyway

8. Adam says:

Honestly, in most cases, these people wouldn’t be anything without having made it to WWE. WWE owns their likenesses in character. So unfortunately I’m sure there’s a legal loophole for WWE to set that condition.