WWE SmackDown Report 8/29/17
– Tonight’s WWE SmackDown opens up fro the Verizon Arena in North Little Rock, Arkansas as Tom Phillips welcomes us. He’s joined by JBL and Byron Saxton. Tom hypes tonight’s main event – Randy Orton and Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Rusev and WWE Champion Jinder Mahal.
– We go to the stage and The Singh Brothers introduce the WWE Champion and out he comes.
Jinder and The Singh Brothers hit the ring and Jinder hypes the main event, against what he calls two of his biggest rivals. He goes on about how he’s shown nothing but disrespect. The USA chants start up now. Jinder wonders who will pay for him being disrespected. The Singh Brothers speak up and take the blame for failing Jinder last week. They get emotional and apologize to the people of India, their family and then Jinder. They embarrassed Jinder last week but they vow that Nakamura will never touch Jinder again. They offer to publicly kiss Jinder’s royal feet. They drop down to their knees but the music interrupts and out comes Nakamura to a pop.
Nakamura hits the ring and gently pushes The Singh Brothers to the side. He’s about to go at it with Jinder but the triple team begins. The Singh Brothers beat Nakamura up as Jinder looks on. Jinder grabs Nakamura but the music hits and out comes Randy Orton to a pop. Orton fights off the brothers and goes to work on Jinder but Rusev hits the ring. Rusev beats Orton down as fans boo. Jinder and The Singh Brothers go back to work on Nakamura. Jinder hits The Khallas on Nakamura. Jinder’s music hits as the heels stand tall in the ring. Orton is down at ringside.
– Still to come, AJ Styles brings back the United States Title Open Challenge. We see Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin backstage walking. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Nakamura vs. Orton in a #1 contenders match is announced for next week.
The Ascension vs. Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin
We go to the ring and The Ascension is out. Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin are out next as Greg Hamilton does the introductions.
Gable starts off with Viktor and they go at it. Gable takes control and unloads before tagging in Shelton for his return to the ring. Shelton works Viktor over and hits a suplex for a pin attempt. Gable tags in for a quick double team. Gale decks Konnor but gets launched to the floor by Viktor. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Konnor is working Gable over. Gable tries for a tag but Konnor nails a big spinebuster for a 2 count. Viktor comes back in and keeps Gable down. Gable fights up and out but Viktor beats him into the corner. Konnor tags back in and talks trash to Shelton. Konnor scoops Gable but Gable slides out and reaches for a tag. Konnor sends him to the mat.
Konnor charges but hits the ring post as Gable moves. Shelton gets the tag and unloads as Viktor also tags in. Konnor runs in but Shelton takes him out, sending him to the floor. Shelton fights Viktor off and kicks him in the head. Shelton goes to the top and lands on Viktor but Konnor breaks the pin. Gable dumps Konnor to the floor. Shelton ends up dropping Viktor on his face for the pin.
Winners: Shelton Benjamin and Chad Gable
– After the match, Shelton and Gable celebrate as we go to replays. The celebration continues after the replay.
– Still to come, The New Day vs. The Usos and AJ Styles’ US Title Open Challenge.
– Baron Corbin is backstage walking when Renee Young approaches him for comments on “squandering” his Money In the Bank cash-in. He blames it on John Cena and says Cena went and hid from him on RAW, taking away his chance to right the wrong. Corbin says that’s life. He’s tired of people asking about the briefcase. He doesn’t live in the past like the WWE Universe. Corbin indicates he will answer AJ’s challenge and win the title tonight. He walks off. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and out comes WWE United States Champion AJ Styles.
AJ reminds us how he Kevin Owens lost the chance to challenge for the title as long as he holds it. AJ kicks off the Open Challenge to the rest of the roster. The music hits and out comes Tye Dillinger. Baron Corbin confronts him on the stage and they argue. Corbin shoves Tye and Tye shoves him back. Tye heads to the ring but Corbin tries to stop him again. Tye leaves Corbin down at ringside.
WWE United States Title Match: Tye Dillinger vs. AJ Styles
The bell rings and they go at it. Tye blocks an early Phenomenal Forearm attempt and goes for the Tye Breaker but AJ counters that. AJ drops Tye into the Calf Crusher and gets the easy win.
Winner: AJ Styles
– After the quick match, AJ celebrates as Corbin pulls Tye to the floor and launches him into the barrier. Corbin tries to come in after AJ but AJ hits him with a forearm for a big pop. Corbin throws a fit at ringside as AJ stands tall.
– Jinder Mahal and Rusev are backstage preparing for the main event. Jinder calls Rusev his friend but Rusev says they are not friends. He came to SmackDown to be WWE Champion and after tonight, he’s coming for the title.
– Still to come, Bobby Roode will be in action. Back to commercial.
Mike Kanellis vs. Bobby Roode
Back from the break and Mike & Maria Kanellis are kissing in the ring. Bobby Roode’s entrance starts up and out he comes next.
They lock up and trade holds as fans start chanting for Roode. Roode takes Kanellis to the mat and shows off some. Roode does the “glorious” taunt next as fans cheer some more. They lock up again and Roode takes it to the corner as Maria yells from ringside. Kanellis comes out of the corner and takes Roode to another corner, unloading on him and stomping away.
The referee warns Kanellis. Roode comes out of the corner with chops to the chest. Kanellis with a right hand. Roode blocks the next move and unloads again. Roode with a clothesline in the corner. Kanellis runs into boots in the corner. Roode with a Blockbuster. Roode charges but runs into an elbow. Kanellis charges but Roode catches him in a spinebuster.
Roode waits for Kanellis to get up as fans do the “glorious!” taunt. Kanellis gets up but Roode hits him with the Glorious DDT for the win.
Winner: Bobby Roode
– After the match, Roode stands tall as we go to replays. Roode hits the corner and poses as his music plays.
– Still to come, our tag team main event.
– Kevin Owens is shown walking backstage. Byron says we were scheduled to have a match but Owens is coming out instead. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Aiden English is in the ring singing. The music interrupts and out comes Kevin Owens marching to the ring.
Owens says with all due respect, none of these Arkansas hillbillies have the mental capacity to appreciate Aiden’s talents. He asks English to leave the ring so he can handle some business, and he won’t ask twice. English leaves the ring and Owens thanks him. Owens starts ranting about what happened in last week’s United States Title match with first Baron Corbin and then SmackDown Commissioner Shane McMahon as special referee. Owens asks what gives Shane the right to put his hands on the referee, Corbin, and then doing what he did. Owens points out how one year ago he became WWE Universal Champion. One year later and here he is, not a champion like he should be because Shane has screwed him twice. Owens says this would’ve never happened back in the good ‘ol days when he was on RAW because you’d never see the lovely Stephanie McMahon abuse her power in such a disgusting way. Owens goes on ranting about Shane until the music hits and out comes the Commissioner.
Shane speaks from the stage and says he’s not here to help Owens. It was Owens who picked the special referee for last week, Corbin. Shane says Corbin was extremely bias and then left the match before it was over. Shane took it upon himself to call the finish because a match of that magnitude needed a finish. Shane says Owens lost to AJ. Owens says Shane screwed him again. Shane says Owens can call it what he wants because this conversation is over. Shane says he and the fans are tired of hearing Owens complain. Shane asks Owens to leave the ring and for English to return to the ring because he has a match against this man. The music hits and out comes Sami Zayn.
Sami Zayn vs. Aiden English
Sami makes his way out as English waits in the ring. Owens joins the announcers for commentary. The bell rings and English kicks Sami to start things. English takes Sami to the corner and works him over.
English keeps control and covers for a 2 count. Sami comes back and sends English over the top rope. Sami runs the ropes and hits a big dive. Sami brings it back into the ring and keeps control for a 2 count. Owens is ranting on the referee. He’s tired of people not doing their jobs right. Owens enters the ring and takes the referee’s jersey off while English is mounting Sami in the corner.
Owens is trying to call the match now. Sami comes down off the top and argues with him, allowing English to attack from behind. Owens ends up hitting a pop-up powerbomb on Sami. English takes advantage and covers for the pin.
Winner: Aiden English
– After the match, Owens raises English’s arm as his music plays. Owens goes to ringside and tosses the jersey back to the referee. Owens makes his exit while Sami tries to recover in the ring.
– Still to come, our tag team main event and The New Day vs. The Usos. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and we see what just happened with Owens. Renee Young is backstage with Shane. He says that match does not count and Sami did not lose, the match will not be in the books. Shane says he was just told that Owens has left and Shane will be doing the same thing in just a few minutes. He walks off.
– Dasha Fuentes is backstage with Dolph Ziggler. She asks what we can expect for the new side of him tonight. Ziggler says we can expect nothing because what he has in mind is going to take a little longer. He rants on becoming nothing more than an afterthought when he’s really a star. He once again takes shots at various WWE gimmicks, including Finn Balor by calling him a charisma vacuum. Ziggler says all the years of dedication and sacrifice have meant nothing so if we want all flash and no substance, that’s what we will get… next week.
The Usos vs. The New Day
We go to the ring and out comes SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Usos. The winner of this match will get to pick the stipulation for the title rematch. We see how The Usos won the titles at SummerSlam. Out next comes The New Day. Xavier Woods is with Big E and Kofi Kingston but he’s wearing a brace on his leg and an “It’s Sore” sign around his neck. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Jey Uso has control of Big E. Kofi gets a tag and unloads on Jey. Kofi hits the Boom Drop but misses Trouble In Paradise. Kofi ends up hitting a crossbody but Jimmy Uso breaks the pin. Jimmy tosses Kofi into the corner. Big E comes in but takes a superkick. Kofi kicks Uso and goes to the top. Kofi counters a Samoan Drop and takes Jey to the mat in a submission. Jey provides a distraction and the hold is broken.
Kofi doesn’t see the tag being made as Jey comes in. Jey rolls Kofi up with a handful of tights and gets the win.
Winners: The Usos
– After the match, the champs hit the stage with their titles and look back at The New Day in the ring.
– Dasha Fuentes is backstage with Carmella and James Ellsworth. Ellsworth interrupts her and takes the mic. Ellsworth asks Carmella what she has planned. Carmella is annoyed with Ellsworth and isn’t telling him anything else. She says she would’ve been champion if it weren’t for his big mouth last week. Ellsworth sent her flowers to make up for it but apparently he stole them from a funeral. SmackDown Women’s Champion Natalya interrupts and promises to make Carmella the Baron Corbin of the women’s division if she ever tries to cash in. They have words and a match is made for next week. Carmella and Ellsworth leave. Naomi appears and reveals that she will get her rematch in two weeks on SmackDown.
– Still to come, the season 2 premiere of The Fashion Files. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Lana is in the ring. She gives a grand introduction to Tamina Snuka and calls her out future SmackDown Women’s Champion. Out comes Tamina to the ring.
Tamina Snuka vs. Tina Stock
Tamina enters the ring as her jobber opponent waits. The bell rings and the jobber goes to work. Tamina fights her off. Lana yells into the mic at ringside and orders Tamina to crush her opponent. Tamina unloads and hits headbutts in the corner. Tamina with more offense and a big superkick to the face for the win.
Winner: Tamina Snuka
– After the match, Lana enters the ring as Tamina throws her opponent into the bottom rope trying to toss her out of the ring. Lana and Tamina stand tall as Tamina’s music hits. Lana orders photographers to enter the ring and take shots of Tamina.
– The announcers lead us to the season 2 premiere of The Fashion Files with Tyler Breeze and Fandango. All signs point to Aiden English.
– Still to come, our tag team main event. Back to commercial.
Randy Orton and Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Jinder Mahal and Rusev
Back from the break and Shinsuke Nakamura makes his entrance. WWE Champion Jinder Mahal, Rusev and The Singh Brothers are already out. Randy Orton is out next.
A big brawl breaks out before the bell with Orton and Nakamura starting things. They take their opponents out on the floor and return to the ring to stand tall. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and the match is underway. Mahal has control of Nakamura but Nakamura fights back. Nakamura crawls for a tag but Jinder stops him and pounds on him. Jinder with a knee to the back as he keeps Nakamura grounded now. Fans rally for Orton to get the tag. Nakamura fights back and hits a jawbreaker.
Orton gets the tag and unloads on Jinder. Orton fights Jinder into the corner and unloads with uppercuts as the referee warns him. Orton ducks a clothesline and goes for the RKO but Jinder avoids it. Jinder goes to the floor. The Singh Brothers scatter as Orton follows. Orton goes to work on Jinder and slams him on top of the barrier. They come back in the ring and Jinder fights Orton off. Orton grabs him for a fall-away slam.
Orton goes for the second rope draping DDT but The Singh Brothers distract the referee on the apron, allowing Rusev to interfere and send Orton into the corner. Legal man Rusev stomps away on Orton on the floor now. Rusev brings Orton back in and covers for a 2 count. Rusev takes Orton back to the corner and stomps away. Rusev distracts the referee as Jinder hits Orton with a cheap shot. Fans chant for Orton as Rusev keeps him grounded.
Orton fights up and out but Rusev floors him for a 2 count. Jinder tags back in and gets a 2 count on Orton. Orton fights out of another hold and sends Jinder into the ring post. Nakamura and Rusev tag in at the same time. Nakamura drops Rusev with a left and delivers kicks while Rusev is on his knees. Rusev catches a kick but Nakamura hits an enziguri. Nakamura charges in the corner and positions Rusev on the rope for the knee to the ribs. Nakamura with a 2 count. Nakamura goes for the reverse exploder but Rusev fights him off. Rusev misses a clothesline and Nakamura drops him into the armbar. Jinder breaks it up. Orton comes in and goes for the draping DDT on Jinder. He hits it. Rusev avoids the RKO but gets a boot. Nakamura comes off the middle rope and nails Rusev. Nakamura hits the Kinshasa on Rusev for the pin.
Winners: Randy Orton and Shinsuke Nakamura
– After the match, Orton and Nakamura stand tall as Nakamura’s music hits. We go to replays. Orton and Nakamura have some friendly words and are all smiles ahead of their main event match on next week’s SmackDown. Orton nails the RKO outta nowhere and drops Nakamura in the middle of the ring. We get a replay and come back to Orton posing in the corner as his music hits. SmackDown goes off the air with Orton posing while Nakamura is laid out.