This Day In Wrestling History – March 28th
1963 – Dory Dixon defeats Buddy Rogers, to win the WWWA World Heavyweight Championship.
1980 – El Satanico defeats Satoru Sayama, to win the NWA World Middleweight Championship.
1983 – King Parsons defeats Tola Yatsu, to win the WCCW Television Championship.
1984 – Tully Blanchard defeats Mark Youngblood, to win the NWA Television Championship.
1999 – WrestleMania XV is held at the First Union Center in Philadelphia, in front of 20,276 fans.
Sunday Night Heat:
– Jacqueline (with Terri Runnels) defeats Ivory (with D’Lo Brown).
– D’Lo Brown & Test win a 21-Man Battle Royal, to determine the #1 contenders for the WWF Tag Team Championship. Brown and Test win after The Godfather & Droz eliminate one another.
– Hardcore Holly defeats Billy Gunn and Al Snow, to win the WWF Hardcore Championship (Triple Threat Match).
– Owen Hart & Jeff Jarrett (with Debra) defeat Test & D’Lo Brown (with Ivory), to retain the WWF Tag Team Championship.
– Butterbean defeats Bart Gunn in a Brawl For All Match. Gorilla Monsoon was one of the judges for this match. It was his final appearance on WWF Television.
– Mankind defeats The Big Show, via disqualification. Per match stipulation Mankind becomes the guest referee in the main event.
– Road Dogg defeats Ken Shamrock, Goldust, and Val Venis, to retain the WWF Intercontinental Championship (Four Corners Elimination Match).
– Kane defeats Triple H (with Chyna) via disqualification.
– Sable defeats Tori, to retain the WWF Women’s Championship.
– Shane McMahon (with Test) defeats X-Pac, to retain the WWF European Championship.
– The Undertaker (with Paul Bearer) defeats The Big Boss Man, in a Hell In A Cell Match. This was the match where Undertaker infamously hanged Big Boss Man.
– Stone Cold Steve Austin defeats The Rock, in a No Disqualification Match, to win the WWF Championship. Mankind served as special guest referee.
2002 – Toshiaki Kawada suffers a knee injury, and is forced to vacate the AJPW Triple Crown Championship.
2003 – Satoshi Kojima wins the AJPW Champion Carnival, defeating Arashi in the tournament final.
2004 – Bob Sapp defeats Kensuke Sasaki, to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.
2005 – The ROH World Tag Team Championship is vacated, after titleholder Dan Maff opts to retire.
2008 – One day after TNA cameras caught him in the crowd at a live broadcast of Impact! in Orlando, Robbie McAllister of The Highlanders is sent home from WrestleMania. WWE was also in Orlando, preparing for WrestleMania XXIV, to be held at the Florida Citrus Bowl (now known as Camping World Stadium). McAllister lost his check for $5,000 that he would’ve received at WrestleMania. He and his Highlander partner Rory McAllister would be released by WWE August 15, 2008.
2010 – WrestleMania XXVI was held at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona, with 72,219 fans in attendance.
– Yoshi Tatsu last eliminates Zack Ryder, to win a 26-man Inter promotional Pre-WrestleMania Battle Royal.
– ShoMiz (The Big Show & The Miz) defeat John Morrison & R-Truth, to retain the WWE Unified Tag Team Championship.
– Randy Orton defeats Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase Jr., in a Triple Threat Match.
– Jack Swagger wins the Money In The Bank Ladder Match and earns a guaranteed championship match, for either the WWE Championship or the World Heavyweight Championship. Swagger defeats Kofi Kingston, Christian, Matt Hardy, Kane, Drew McIntyre, Shelton Benjamin, Dolph Ziggler, MVP, and Evan Bourne.
– Triple H defeats Sheamus.
– Rey Mysterio Jr. defeats C.M. Punk (with Luke Gallows & Serena). Had he lost, Mysterio would have had to join the Straight Edge Society.
– Bret Hart defeats Vince McMahon, in a No Holds Barred Match Lumberjack Match. Bruce Hart served as special guest referee. All the Lumberjacks were Hart family members.
– Chris Jericho defeats Edge, to retain the World Heavyweight Championship.
– In a 10-Diva Tag Team Match, the team of Michelle McCool, Vickie Guerrero, Layla, Alicia Fox, & Maryse defeat the team of Beth Phoenix, Kelly Kelly, Gail Kim, Eve Torres, & Mickie James.
– John Cena defeats Batista, to win the WWE Championship.
– In a No Disqualification Streak-vs-Career Match, The Undertaker defeats Shawn Michaels. Undertaker improves to 18-0 at WrestleMania; HBK is forced to retire.
2010 – In Florida Championship Wrestling, Alex Riley defeats Justin Angel (Gabriel) and Wade Barrett, to win the FCW Florida Heavyweight Championship (Three-Way Match).
2011 – It is announced that Paul Ellering and The Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal) will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.
2014 – Los Guerreros Laguneros (Euforia, Niebla Roja, & Ultimo Guerrero) defeat Los Estetas del Aire (Mascara Dorada, Mistico, & Valiente), to win the CMLL World Trios Championship.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO: Combat Zone Wrestling (CZW) Hall of Famer Nick Mondo (37 years old); one-half of The Highlanders Rory McAllister (41 years old); former AAA World Tag Team Champion Ultimo Gladiator (39 years old); 4-time British Heavyweight Champion Tony St. Clair (69 years old); former WWF & Jim Crockett Promotions wrestler The Warlord (55 years old); former WWF referee “Dangerous” Danny Davis (61 years old); and former NWA-TNA interviewer & valet Goldy Locks (38 years old).
Today would’ve been the 44th birthday for 2-time WWE Intercontinental Champion Umaga. Today would’ve been the 59th birthday for WWE Hall of Famer “Mr. Perfect” Curt Hennig.
SOURCES: Nick Mondo on Wikipedia, SLAM! Sports, The Highlanders on Wikipedia, WrestleView, gerweck.net, wrestlingdata.com, The Internet Wrestling Database