WWE RAW Report – 5/2/16
– Tonight’s WWE RAW opens up with a look at some of the developments from WWE Payback last night. We go to the normal RAW opening video.
– We’re live from the Scottrade Center in St. Louis as the pyro goes off and Michael Cole welcomes us to a new era. He’s joined by JBL and Byron Saxton.
– We go to the ring and out comes Stephanie McMahon to boos. She has a gift bag in her hand.
Stephanie heads to the ring and is announced as one half of the power of RAW. She says it feels great to be back and she’s wanted to do this for weeks. She goes to do a big welcome but Shane McMahon’s music interrupts and out he comes to a pop. Shane joins Stephanie in the ring and gets a pop. He welcomes everyone to RAW. Stephanie talks about how she learned how to do good in business and be a good business partner in the 7 years Shane has been away. Stephanie has a peace offering and hands Shane the gift bag, to show that she does wholeheartedly embrace this new partnership. Shane asks what the catch is and she says there is none. He pulls out a photo of Shane and Vince from when Shane was a kid, the same one Vince stomped on several weeks back. Stephanie comes off as genuine and asks Shane his ideas for tonight’s show.
Shane says he’s moved by the photo and asks Stephanie what her ideas are. She’s hesitant. She gets fans to pick whose ideas they want to hear and they cheer louder for Shane. Shane goes to present his ideas for tonight but the music interrupts and out comes Kevin Owens.
Owens calls it a lovely sight to see brother and sister in the ring on RAW, getting along and everything. Owens says he has an idea of his own, a great idea. Owens says the first decision should be to give him what’s his, a rematch for the WWE Intercontinental Title. Owens says he decimated Sami Zayn at Payback and proved he’s better. Owens says now it’s time for him to re-focus and he wants the IC Title rematch tonight. Owens says he has no hope in Shane doing the right thing after seeing how he’s done things lately but he praises Stephanie as a smart businesswoman. Owens says it’s in his contract, he’s owed a rematch. They all agree he has a valid point but the music interrupts and out comes Cesaro to a pop. Cesaro says he had The Miz beat in the middle of the ring but unfortunately for him and the Cesaro Section, the resident whiner and complainer put his nose where it belong. Cesaro says he would be standing here as champion if it weren’t for Owens. Shane says in the new era, we handle business in the ring. He announces Cesaro vs. Owens to determine a new #1 contender to The Miz. Shane’s music hits as Cesaro rips his suit off to reveal gear. We go to commercial.
#1 Contenders Match: Cesaro vs. Kevin Owens
Back from the break and WWE Intercontinental Champion The Miz is out for commentary with Maryse. The bell rings and Cesaro immediately starts with the Uppercut Train.
Cesaro nails a dropkick for a 2 count. They end up on the floor and Cesaro nails Owens from the barrier. Cesaro brings it back in and goes to the top. Cesaro nails a crossbody for a 2 count. Cesaro keeps control and nails a stomp for another 2 count. Owens runs into an elbow but drops Cesaro with a big superkick. Owens with a senton for a 2 count. More back and forth. Owens drops Cesaro with a DDT for another pin attempt. Owens continues working on the shoulder now. Owens talks trash to Cole and Cesaro takes advantage. Owens comes right back and drops him with an elbow. Owens goes to the top but Cesaro cuts him off with an uppercut. Owens headbutts Cesaro from the top. Cesaro with a big dropkick. Cesaro climbs back up and brings Owens to the mat with a gutwrench. Cesaro with another 2 count.
Owens hangs Cesaro up on the top and he falls out to the floor. Owens hits a Frogsplash from the apron to the floor and goes back in the ring as we take another break.
Back from the break and Owens is still in control. Cesaro tries to fight back and they trade shots in the middle of the ring. Cesaro unloads with uppercuts and backs Owens into the corner. Owens turns it around and nails a German suplex. Owens with the corner cannonball for a 2 count.
Cesaro ends up hitting the flying uppercut and Owens goes to the floor for a breather. Cesaro runs around the ring and nails a big uppercut. Cesaro celebrates with the Cesaro Section and comes back to Owens but gets hit with an elbow. Owens takes the Intercontinental Title to hit Cesaro. Miz grabs it. Cesaro hits them both with uppercuts. Cesaro goes back in the ring and begins the Cesaro Swing on Owens but The Miz attacks them for the no contest.
– After the match, Owens and Miz argue before shoving each other. Cesaro hits them but they beat him down together. Sami Zayn’s music hits and out he comes to a pop. Owens throws Miz into Sami but Sami clotheslines Miz. Sami unloads on Owens and backs him down in the corner. Sami blocks a Skull Crushing Finale and hits an exploder suplex into the corner. Sami with a Helluva Kick on Owens as the crowd pops. Miz avoids a Helluva Kick thanks to Maryse and retreats up the stage. Sami picks the title up from the mat and looks around. A “yes!” chant starts up as Miz and Maryse look on from the stage. Sami raises the title and his music hits.
– Stephanie McMahon walks up on Dean Ambrose backstage. She asks what he’s looking at. He’s not buying this new smile she’s put on, he feels she’s still the same Stephanie McMahon deep down. She offers to be his guest on The Ambrose Asylum and he’s in. She says she’s looking forward to it and can’t wait to meet Mitch. She walks off and Ambrose mocks her. Back to commercial
– Backstage segment with R-Truth and Tyler Breeze. Truth is trying to get their team together but says it was easier with Goldust. Goldust appears and has words with Breeze, ahead of their match tonight. Truth gets involved and Goldust says he has his own partner now, Fandango. Goldust and Fandango dance while Breeze and Truth pose for the selfie stick.
– AJ Styles is backstage talking to Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson. They say Styles was phenomenal last night but he reminds them he lost. They go on and say there’s no way Roman Reigns is leaving Extreme Rules with the title. Roman appears and fans boo. Roman asks if that’s right and they square up. AJ gets in the middle. Reigns says he has a lot of respect for AJ after last night but none for Gallows and Anderson. He says the interference proves they don’t believe AJ can be the guy on his own. Reigns asks if the three of them can beat the three of us… The Usos appear. Styles says he’s going to take the title on his own at Extreme Rules but tonight, he and the boys are going to give Reigns a taste of what to expect. Styles accepts the challenge. Reigns and The Usos walk off.
Goldust vs. Tyler Breeze
We go to the ring and out comes Goldust with Fandango. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and out comes Tyler Breeze with R-Truth, who has his own selfie stick now. Truth hands Breeze a do-rag after the bell. Breeze puts it on and charges but Goldust drops him. Goldust asks Truth why he never got one. Goldust keeps wasting time talking to Truth. Breeze finally takes advantage and attacks. Goldust puts him down again and turns his attention to Truth and Fandango, who are dancing at ringside. Breeze rolls a distracted Goldust up for the win.
Winner: Tyler Breeze
– WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day are walking backstage as we go to commercial.
– Back from the break and WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day are out to the ring. They will be defending against The Vaudevillains at Extreme Rules. Kofi Kingston starts off a bit serious and talks about Enzo Amore suffering a concussion at Payback. They get into regular New Day promo mode and Woods brags about Beyonce sliding in his DM’s. Big E says that didn’t really happen. Woods says The New Day will be waiting when Enzo is ready to return but until then… the music hits and out comes Simon Gotch and Aiden English with mics.
English cuts a promo on the way to the ring and says this is a dangerous business but a real man like them would’ve gotten back up. They enter the ring. Gotch says they made Enzo the realest guy in the emergency room last night. The pyro interrupts as The Dudley Boyz come out and they don’t look happy.
Bubba Ray Dudley calls them carnies and says they didn’t win anything. Bubba says they need to restart the whole tournament right now. D-Von Dudley says they’re deserving if anyone is and they’re the baddest tag team on the planet. The music hits for a big pop and out comes Big Cass to the stage. Cass talks trash to The Vaudevillains and says Enzo is his family. Cass says he’s going to have to finish what was started last night. He mocks The Dudleyz and calls both teams “SAWFT” as the fans go along with him. Cass enters the ring and attacks Gotch and English. The Dudleyz attack The New Day and we go to commercial.
Big Cass and The New Day vs. The Dudley Boyz and The Vaudevillains
Back from the break and we’ve got an eight-man match. Woods goes at it with English and causes Gotch to come in. Kofi tags in for offense on Gotch. Big E comes in and hits a splash for a 2 count on Gotch. Cass gets the tag and unloads on Gotch, taking him to the corner.
Kofi comes in to start the Unicorn Stampede on Gotch. Big E whips a big Kofi dropkick into Gotch as Woods plays Francesca 2 The Trombone and fans sing along. Kofi with a kick to the gut. Woods tags back in and kicks Gotch for a 2 count. Bubba tags himself in and takes Woods down. Bubba yells and talks trash as fans boo. He works Woods over and talks more trash, telling The Vaudevillains to pay attention and learn something. D-Von comes in for the double team and a 2 count.
D-Von tags in English and tells him to do something now. English goes to work on Woods and covers for a 2 count. Bubba comes back in and keeps Woods grounded. Woods manages to drop Bubba and crawl for a tag but Bubba pulls him back. D-Von tags in and drops a big elbow. D-Von drags Woods over but misses a diving headbutt. Kofi tags in and springboards to take D-Von down. Kofi with a dropkick and a big right hand. Kofi gets fired up and hits the Boom Drop. English distracts Kofi, allowing D-Von to send him over the top rope. English sends Kofi flying face first into the ring post. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and the heels are still in control. They keep it up with tags and offense on Kofi. D-Von comes back in and talks trash before dropping Kofi with a suplex for a 2 count. Kofi finally nails a double dropkick on The Vaudevillains. Cass gets the hot tag and unloads on English. Cass decks D-Von and Bubba on the apron. He hits a big fall-away slam on English and then a splash in the corner. Cass with a running big boot as fans pop. He drops the Empire Elbow but Bubba breaks the pin. Woods drops Bubba. Gotch knocks Woods out of the ring. Cass grabs Gotch and throws him to the apron, then kicks him off with a big boot. Big E catches Gotch falling off the apron and hits a belly-to-belly on the floor. Cass doesn’t see Bubba tag in and gets nailed by D-Von. Bubba with a Bomb and a 2 count on Cass. Kofi takes out Bubba. Cass counters legal D-Von and hits the East River Crossing for the win as fans pop.
Winners: Big Cass and The New Day
– After the match, Cass celebrates with The New Day as his music hits and we go to replays.
– Still to come, a battle royal to determine a new #1 contender to WWE United States Champion Kalisto. Also, Stephanie on The Ambrose Asylum. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get a look back at Styles, Gallows, Anderson, Reigns and The Usos from earlier tonight. Shane and Stephanie have made the six-man main event official for tonight.
– We get a look back at the Chicago Screwjob from Payback. Still to come, Charlotte and Ric Flair will speak.
Becky Lynch vs. Emma
We go to the ring and out comes Becky Lynch to a pop. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and out comes Emma as Becky looks on. They lock up and go to the corner. Emma slaps Becky. Becky catches a kick and takes her down. Becky with arm drags and a dropkick. Emma retreats to the floor for a breather. Becky jumps off the apron and takes her down for a pop.
Becky brings it back in the ring for a 2 count. Emma ends up pulling Becky’s leg out while she’s sitting up top. Becky hits the mat hard and Emma covers for a 2 count. Emma takes Becky down and kicks her in the back. Emma keeps control and hits a double underhook for a 2 count. Becky fights back but Emma nails a boot to the face for another pin attempt. Emma uses Becky’s hair and the ropes again. Emma catches a kick and slams Becky back into the turnbuckles. She talks trash as fans boo. Emma with the crossbody in the corner for a 2 count.
Becky finally makes a comeback and gets a pop. She hits the exploder for a 2 count. Emma with a roll up for 2. Becky blocks a kick and slams Emma on her face. Becky goes for the Disarm Her but Emma avoids it. Emma suckers Becky in and tangles her with the referee, taking advantage for a cheap shot to the eyes. Emma with the Michinoku Driver for the win.
– After the match, Emma stays in the ring as Becky leaves and looks on from the ramp.
– Still to come, The Ambrose Asylum. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get a new vignette for The Colons.
– We go to the ring and out comes Dean Ambrose for another edition of The Ambrose Asylum.
Ambrose has his sign in the ring and Mitch, the potted plant. He introduces Mitch and then brings out his guest, Stephanie McMahon. Fans boo as Stephanie comes out for what she said will be an open forum.
Stephanie says she’s glad to be here. She calls the set eclectic and says it’s Ambrose all the way. She points out how there are no chairs. Ambrose gets to business and says he’s not buying the new nice Stephanie. He says she must be ready to explode after what happened at Payback. Stephanie says she couldn’t be happier and talks about the new era. Ambrose shows a photo of Stephanie being speared by Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 32. She says she got a little overzealous, got involved where she didn’t belong and Reigns taught her a lesson. Ambrose brings up Shane McMahon returning and fans chant his name. He says that has to bother Stephanie but she plays it off. Ambrose brings up all the personal sacrifices she’s made over the years for the family business, missing birthday parties and recitals. Ambrose asks if Shane has made the same sacrifices Stephanie has. He says Vince McMahon putting both of them in charge just has to burn Stephanie up inside. She continues playing it off and says Vince taught her a valuable lesson at Payback, that being sometimes things just need to change. Stephanie says it’s time to apply that lesson to Ambrose. She says he’s been doing The Asylum for a few weeks and it’s time for a change. She officially cancels the segment and fans boo. She mocks him, tells him to clean everything up and get to stepping. Ambrose tells her she can keep everything but takes Mitch with him. Stephanie stops him and introduces the returning host of The Highlight Reel, Chris Jericho.
Jericho and Ambrose have words at the bottom of the ramp and start brawling. Ambrose hits a big clothesline and brings it back in the ring. Ambrose tackles him and unloads with right hands. Jericho blocks Dirty Deeds and hits a Codebreaker as fans boo. Jericho destroys Ambrose’s sign and kicks him out of the ring. Jericho leaves the ring and stops when he sees Mitch. Fans chant “no!” as he grabs Mitch The Potted Plant and shatters him over Ambrose’s back. More boos for Jericho as he kneels down and talks trash to Ambrose. Jericho raises his hand in the air and fans boo louder. We go to commercial.
– Back from the break and WWE United States Champion Kalisto is on commentary.
#1 Contenders Battle Royal: Apollo Crews, Viktor, Damien Sandow, Zack Ryder, Stardust, Sheamus, Titus O’Neil, Rusev, Alberto Del Rio, Darren Young, Baron Corbin, Sin Cara, Dolph Ziggler, Bo Dallas, Curtis Axel
We go to the ring and it’s filled with Superstars. The winner will earn a shot against Kalisto Titus O’Neil makes his way out, followed by Sheamus. We get a look at The League of Nations split. Baron Corbin is out next. The bell rings and everyone goes at it. Viktor is tossed early on. Sheamus and Axel work together. Sandow gets eliminated next.
Crews works on Stardust and eliminates him. Axel eliminates Young. Sheamus works over Crews in the corner. Titus and Axel trade shots. Sheamus tosses Crews but he hangs on. Sheamus eliminates Crews with a Brogue on the apron. Sheamus gets decked and goes under the bottom rope tot he floor. Ziggler and Corbin go at it. Corbin fights in from the apron but Ziggler dropkicks him over the top, eliminating him. Corbin pulls Ziggler under the bottom rope and launches him into the barrier, then the ring post. Corbin rolls Ziggler back in and the referees order Corbin to the back. Rusev grabs Ziggler and eliminates him right in front of Corbin. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Bo works over Cara in the corner. Titus and Sheamus go at it. Rusev stomps on Ryder. Sheamus eliminates Titus. Del Rio and Axel go at it. Del Rio nails a double stomp and eliminates Axel. Bo gets eliminated by Cara. Ryder nails Sheamus with a big right hand. Rusev goes to work on Cara. Del Rio dropkicks Ryder in the back. Sheamus and Del Rio take turns on Ryder now. Cara with a crossbody on Rusev. Sheamus and Del Rio beat Cara down.
Cara ducks a double team and takes them both down. Rusev drops Cara from behind. Del Rio and Rusev double team Cara now. Ryder and Sheamus go at it. Sheamus with an Irish Curse backbreaker. Del Rio eliminates Cara. The former League of Nations members all look at each other while Ryder is down. Sheamus throws Ryder to them. Rusev stomps on him while Del Rio warns Sheamus. They triple team Ryder as fans boo. Del Rio and Rusev toss Ryder but he hangs on. Sheamus tries to toss Del Rio but it backfires. Rusev and Sheamus go at it. Sheamus tosses Rusev to the apron. Del Rio with a Backstabber on Sheamus. Ryder with a Ruff Ryder on Del Rio. Rusev heel kicks Ryder. Sheamus misses a Brogue on Rusev. Rusev nails a superkick on Sheamus. Del Rio eliminates Sheamus. Rusev kicks Del Rio when he turns around. Rusev tries to eliminate Del Rio but he hangs on. Ryder eliminates Del Rio and fans rally for him. Ryder and Rusev go at it in the middle of the ring. Rusev runs into knees int he corner. Ryder with a missile dropkick as fans chant for him. Ryder with a right hand and the Broski Boot. Rusev comes right back and tosses Ryder for the win.
Winner and New #1 Contender: Rusev
– After the match, Lana comes down to celebrate with Rusev. Kalisto stands up at the announce table and Rusev goes wild taunting him.
– Still to come, The Flairs. Cole leads us to a clip from Captain America and we go back to commercial.
– Back from the break and out comes WWE Women’s Champion Charlotte and WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair. She downplays any talk of controversy surrounding the Chicago Screwjob. They knock Natalya and Bret Hart, saying the Harts are quitters. Charlotte says only one man can provide answers. She brings referee Charles Robinson to the ring. She thanks him for coming and asks him to tell the truth.
Fans chant “cheater” at Little Naitch. Robinson says Natalya didn’t physically tap out but she was yelling, begging for him to stop the match. Flair chimes in and they laugh. Charlotte asks if Robinson’s history with Flair has anything to do with what happened and he says absolutely not. Charlotte confirms that the decision is final and dismisses Robinson. Natalya’s music hits and out she comes. She says this is not about Robinson or Charlotte, it’s about Ric. She accuses Flair of paying Robinson to screw her out of the title. She goes on and says the Harts are better. Charlotte tries to sneak attack her but Natalya blocks it and sends her out of the ring. Natalya turns her attention to Flair now. He takes off his coat and watch but gets slapped. Natalya takes his legs out and applies the Sharpshooter. Charlotte pulls Flair to safety as Natalya looks on. She puts Flair’s Rolex and WWE Hall of Fame ring on as her music plays and she taunts them.
– Still to come, our six-man main event. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Stephanie approaches The Flairs backstage. She knocks Flair and says everyone feels he’s becoming a distraction, so he’s banned from ringside for Natalya vs. Charlotte in a Submission Match at WWE Extreme Rules for the title.
Roman Reigns and The Usos vs. AJ Styles, Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson
The WWE World Heavyweight Champion and Styles start the match back and forth. Gallows comes in as they keep control. Reigns ends up catching him in a Samoan Drop. Jimmy Uso gets a tag and works over Gallows. Jey Uso comes in with offense but eats a big boot for a 2 count. Gallows keeps control and tosses Uso to the floor. The two teams have words at ringside as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Anderson is in control of Jey. Anderson with a big spinebuster and more offense. Styles comes back in and keeps up the attack on Uso. Gallows runs in and decks Jimmy on the apron but misses Reigns. Styles has words with Gallows about running in. Styles turns around to a big superkick from Jey. Reigns and Anderson tag in. Reigns unloads and decks Gallows. Reigns with a big clothesline on Anderson. He goes to the floor for a Drive By on Gallows as fans continue to boo.
Reigns unloads on Anderson in the corner. Anderson rolls him up after Styles comes in. More chaos as fans go wild. Reigns goes for a Superman punch on Styles but it’s countered in mid-air. Jimmy tags in and nails a big crossbody on Styles for a close 2 count. Jimmy kicks Styles and decks him. Jimmy with a super Samoan Drop for a 2 count as Anderson breaks it up. Reigns nails Anderson and sends him to the floor with a clothesline. Gallows nails Reigns from behind on the floor. Gallows and Anderson take Reigns out on the barrier. Styles and Jimmy go at it. Styles nails a Phenomenal Forearm for the win.
Winners: AJ Styles, Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson
– After the match, Anderson and Gallows bring Reigns into the ring as Styles looks confused. They also have a steel chair. They hold Reigns and want Styles to hit him but he hesitates. Anderson yells at Styles and gives him the chair. They hold Reigns and Styles backs up with the chair but throws it away. Gallows and Anderson stomp away on Reigns. Uso comes from behind and nails AJ with a chair shot to the back. The Usos clear Gallows and Anderson from the ring. Styles nails Uso with chair shots from behind as Reigns recovers and gets to his feet. Styles sends Uso to the floor. Styles turns around to a Superman punch. Reigns launches Styles into the rope but he doesn’t go over, just bounces off to the mat. Reigns sends Styles to the floor and goes nuts, launching Styles into the barrier. Reigns takes apart the announce table as the heat continues. Reigns picks Styles up and sends him flying through the announce table with a big powerbomb. Reigns kneels down over Styles as fans boo. Reigns stands tall and raises his arms over AJ as his music hits. We get more replays and come back to Reigns walking away from AJ’s body. He grabs the WWE World Heavyweight Title as RAW goes off the air.
Breaking RAW News, Bad News for New WWE Stars, Huge Update on The Undertaker’s WWE Status, Possible WrestleMania 33 Plans for The Rock, Who Was “Wasted” at WrestleMania 32?, War Games at WWE SummerSlam?, Big Daniel Bryan Update, WWE Women Character Changes, Roman Reigns Feuding with WWE NXT Star?, Lots of “Bullet Club” Backstage WWE Updates, Backstage Story on Vince and Cesaro, Problems for New WWE Tag Team Already, Big News on The Rock and Roman Reigns, Must See New Lana & AJ Lee & Maryse, Lots of New GIFs & Exclusives, More