9/18 WWE house show results from Austin, TX
By Travis Banks
I attended the first ever NXT house show in Austin earlier this evening. The event was held in the Austin Music Hall, which hosted a TNA house show in 2011. The venue will be torn down at the end of the year, so NXT will be one of the final shows to hit Austin Music Hall.
First up was the VIP Meet and Greet. Basically you were given two ticket options when they went on sale: $100 guaranteed seats with a superstar meet and greet, or $75 General Admission. The VIP was literally just an autograph and picture opportunity with Bull Dempsey. Not exactly worth the extra cash. That being said, Bull was AWESOME, as he took the time to interact with every fan and seemed happy to be there.
– Enzo Amore and Colin Cassady def. Blake & Murphy (with Alexa Bliss) and Jordan & Gable. Cass comes out in a huge cowboy hat while he and Enzo do their intro. Gable was also a huge hit with the crowd. Post match, the Dubstep Cowboys and Alexa stare down Enzo and Cass.
– Apollo Crews def. Tye Dillinger. Crowd chanted “Uhaa” to start but was chanting “Apollo” by the end
– Bull Dempsey def. Solomon Crowe
– NXT Women’s Title Match: Bayley def. Dana Brooke with the Belly to Bayley. Afterwards, Bayley poses for pictures with kids at ringside, letting them hold the title.
– Intermission. Only NXT merch is sold at the stand, including the awesome NXT Texas shirt. Pricey at $30 but cool.
– Dusty Rhodes Memorial Tag Tournament: Dash Wilder and Scott Dawson def. NXT Tag Champs The Vaudevillains in a shocking non-title upset. The Vaudevillains try to shake hands after the match but Dawson and Wilder refused, cheap shot the champs and ran away. This was taped and should air on NXT TV at some point.
– Emma def. Carmella via submission
– Samoa Joe def. Tyler Breeze with the Coquina Clutch. Crowd chants “This is Awesome” before the bell even rings… good match somewhat ruined by stupid crowd chants. Really the only time throughout the night the crowd acted too “smarky.” Counting TNA house shows, Joe wins his first match in Austin, going 0-3 in TNA house shows in the city.
– Main Event, NXT Title: Finn Balor def. Baron Corbin with the Coup des Gras. Finn came out in a plain black leather jacket and was assaulted by Corbin before the bell. Fun match. They botched a DDT at one point but covered nicely by rolling out of the ring while some people try to start a “You Fucked Up” chant but fail. Afterwards, Finn grabs the mic and says he’ll return to Austin.
End of show. Most of the wrestlers signed autographs and took pictures outside as they were leaving. Overall, one of the best WWE live events I’ve attended. Everyone was having a blast and the wrestlers were all excited to be there.