4/5/15 New Japan Pro Wrestling “Invasion Attack” Results
– New Japan Pro Wrestling: Invasion Attack Results
April 5, 2015
Tokyo, Japan | Ryogoku Kokugikan Sumo Hall
1. Captain New Japan, Yuji Nagata, Yohei Komatsu, Kushida, and Alex Shelley defeated Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask IV, Manabu Nakanishi, Ryusuke “Funky Weapon” Taguchi, and Sho Tanaka when Shelly submitted Tanaka
2. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, and Tomoaki Honma def. Bullet Club (Cody Hall, Tama Tonga, Yujiro Takahashi). The finish came when Honma pinned Hall.
3. IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: Roppongi Vice (Rocky Romero & Baretta) defeated The Young Bucks to become new champions.
4. IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: Kenny Omega pinned Mascara Dorada to retain the title. After the match, Omega declared himself the master of the dark custodial arts (since his nickname is The Cleaner). He went on to say that he’s cleaned up Japanese and Mexican garbage, and now it’s time to clean up the worst garbage of them all, American Motor City garbage and pointed to Alex Shell
5. IWGP Tag Team Championship: The Kingdom (Matt Taven & Michael Bennett w/ Maria defeated Bullet Club (Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson) to become the new champions when The Kingdom hit Anderson with a spike piledriver after being distracted by Maria, allowing Bennett to get the pin.
6. Togi Makabe, Hirooki Goto, and Tetsuya Naito defeated Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii and Yoshi-Hashi when Goto pins Nakamura.
7. Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi & Katsuyori Shibata when Sakuraba locked in the kimura and Shibata taps out.
8. Kazuchika Okada defeated Bad Luck Fale after hitting him with a tombstone and followed it up with the rainmaker.
9. IWGP World Heavyweight Championship: A.J. Styles defeated Kota Ibushi to retain the title. The finish came when Ibushi climbed to the top, but was delayed due to Kenny Omega jumping up on the apron. After a few seconds, Omega jumped down, Ibushi went for the phoenix splash, and in an amazing sight, Styles caught him in mid-air and hit the Styles clash.
After the match, Styles celebrated his big win but the story was about Omega as he look extremely conflicted before and after the bell. The show closed with Kazuchika Okada coming out of nowhere, nailing Styles with the rainmaker, and declaring his intentions to be the next challenger for the title.
Final Thoughts: This was a fun show from top to bottom. While it wasn’t as good as WrestleKingdom, that is not a strike by any means. I was surprised the Young Bucks lost the title since they are hot right now. It will be interesting to see where things go with Roppongi Vice.
I’m very happy to see The Kingdom walk out of Sumo Hall with the tag team titles. Matt Taven and Michael Bennett, but more so Bennett, gets a lot of undeserved crap from the fans. This win has to be a form of validation for them and its well deserved.
When the New Japan Cup brackets were announced, I immediately saw a path where Kota Ibushi gets wins and challenges Styles for the title. Even though he lost, I have a feeling that New Japan will take a chance on Ibushi at some point because he puts on great matches that don’t disappoint.