This Day In Wrestling History – July 21st
1960 – The Fabulous Kangaroos (Al Costello & Roy Heffernan) defeat The Bastiens (Red & Lou), to win the NWA United States Tag Team Championship (Northeast Version).
1979 – Bill Watts & Buck Robley defeat The Assassin & The Angel, to win the NWA United States Tag Team Championship (Tri-State Version).
1981 – Tony Garea & Rick Martel defeat The Moondogs (Rex & Spot), to win the WWF Tag Team Championship. Garea becomes the first to win the WWF Tag Team Championship five times.
1985 – Tully Blanchard defeats Magnum T.A., to win the NWA United States Championship.
1989 – El Satanico defeats Lizmark, to win the NWA World Light Heavyweight Championship.
1995 – Dean Malenko defeats Eddie Guerrero, to win the ECW World Television Championship.
1996 – WWF In Your House 9: International Incident is held in Vancouver, BC, in front of 14,804 fans.
Airing on Free For All:
– Justin Bradshaw defeats Savio Vega.
– The Bodydonnas (Skip & Zip) defeat The Smoking Gunns (Bart & Billy Gunn).
– Mankind defeats Henry O. Godwinn.
– Stone Cold Steve Austin defeats Marc Mero (with Sable).
– The Undertaker defeats Goldust via disqualification.
– In a Six-Man Tag Team Match, Camp Cornette (Vader, Owen Hart, & The British Bulldog) (with Jim Cornette) defeat The People’s Posse (Shawn Michaels, Sycho Sid, & Ahmed Johnson) (with Jose Lothario).
1997 – In the Monday Night Wars, WWF RAW IS WAR (4.1 TV rating) runs unopposed; WCW Monday Nitro is preempted to Tuesday the 22nd, as TNT airs the second of its two-night miniseries, Rough Riders, starring Tom Berenger and Gary Busey. RAW‘s 4.1 rating is a huge increase from the 2.6 it received the week before, and its highest rating since a 4.7 on April 8, 1996 (Nitro was preempted for NBA playoff coverage).
2002 – WWE Vengeance is held in Detroit, in front of 12,000 fans.
Sunday Night Heat:
– Goldust defeats Stevie Richards.
– The Dudley Boyz (Spike & Bubba Ray Dudley) defeat Chris Benoit & Eddie Guerrero, in a Elimination Tables Tag Team Match.
– Jamie Noble (with Nidia) defeats Billy Kidman, to retain the WWE Cruiserweight Championship.
– Jeff Hardy defeats William Regal, to retain the WWE European Championship.
– John Cena defeats Chris Jericho.
– Rob Van Dam defeats Brock Lesnar (with Paul Heyman), via disqualification, to retain the WWE Intercontinental Championship.
– Booker T defeats The Big Show, in a No Disqualification Match.
– The Un-Americans (Lance Storm & Christian) defeat Edge & Hollywood Hulk Hogan, to win the WWE Tag Team Championship.
– In a Triple Threat Match, The Rock defeats Kurt Angle and The Undertaker, to win the WWE Undisputed Championship.
2002 – Cody Hawk defeats Lance Cade, to win the HWA Heavyweight Championship.
2005 – Former WWF interviewer/commentator Lord Alfred Hayes dies at the age of 76, after having suffered a series of strokes.
2008 – Minoru & Prince Devitt defeat Akira & Jushin Thunder Liger, to win the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship.
2009 – El Hijo del Fantasma defeats Averno, to win the CMLL World Middleweight Championship.
2011 – On Impact Wrestling, Brooke Tessmacher & Tara defeat Sarita & Rosita, to win the TNA Knockouts Tag Team Championship.
2012 – In a Two-Out-of-Three Falls Match, Adam Pearce defeats Colt Cabana, to win the NWA World Heavyweight Championship.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO: Former WWF and NJPW performer Giant Silva (54 years old); 3-time WCW Tag Team Champion 15-time WWF/E Hardcore Champion Shawn Stasiak (47 years old); 6-time WWC World Tag Team Champion Mark Youngblood (54 years old); former IWGP Junior Heavyweight & Tag Team Champion Shinjiro Otani (45 years old); current NJPW/ROH wrestler Adam ‘Hangman’ Page (26 years old); and current British Mid-Heavyweight Champion Robbie Dynamite (35 years old).
Today would have been the 88th birthday for wrestling legend Bob Orton, Sr.