5/23 WWE house show results from Strasbourg, France
May 24, 2014 - by Steve Gerweck
1. Cody Rhodes, Goldust, Rob Van Dam, and The Miz defeated Jack Swagger, Titus O’Neil, Justin Gabriel, and Tyson Kidd in an eight-man tag. A fun match. O’Neil got a lot of heat and every babyface in the match was over, even Miz who received some loud chants.
2. Rusev (w/Lana) beat Zack Ryder. A squash match that went longer than it needed to. Lana is hot. The Putin stuff sucks yet generates heat.
3. Page beat Tamina and Natalya in a Triple Threat to retain the WWE Divas Championship. Better than average Divas match with some solid sequences. Natalya was the most over of the three (perhaps because it was the 15th anniversary of the death of Owen Hart and the fans planned some tributes), but Paige got a decent reaction.
4. Big Show beat Kane in a Last Man Standing match. A slow match but with the use of weapons it wasn’t that bad. I don’t think I would like this match if I saw it on television. Show and Kane were respected by the crowd. After the match, Kane attacked the referee, so Brad Maddox came out and was chokeslammed too.
5. Santino Marella and Emma beat Fandango and Layla. The match started as a dance off and became a tag match. The comedy from Santino and Emma worked and the match received a very good reaction. Even Emma’s silliness worked.
6. Bad News Barrett beat Big E to retain the Intercontinental Title. The special Ring announcer was Pat Patterson, who introduced the match in French (he is from Québec, Canada) and said that Barrett was “con” (which basically means shit-ass). Many “con” chants in the arena. A solid match with a great Barrett and a good Big E.
7. The Shield beat Randy Orton, Ryback, and Curtis Axel. The Shield didn’t receive a top face reaction, but Orton was over as a babyface. However, as the match progressed, the fans react better and better to the Shield. Rybaxel manage to generate heat.