Full Report from WWE’s WrestleMania XXX Press Conference In New York City
Apr 1, 2014 - by Marc Middleton
- The WrestleMania XXX press conference opens up live from the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square in New York City. Josh Mathews welcomes us and we see members of the press and some fans waiting for things to begin. Mathews brings in The Bella Twins to discuss the Vickie Guerrero Divas Championship Invitational at WrestleMania XXX. They both agree that AJ Lee will lose her title. Nikki says she will win the title but Brie says she’s taking home gold. Brie then talks about Daniel Bryan’s surprise return on RAW and Nikki talks about John Cena’s match against Bray Wyatt at WrestleMania.
– Mathews brings Summer Rae in next. Mathews asks about her issues with Brie. Summer acknowledges that she still has a lot to prove to everyone. She says she does want to become Divas Champion at WrestleMania and is excited about the match. Summer leaves and Brie asks Mathews who would make a better champion – Brie or Nikki. Mathews brings up the idea of being co-champions. Mathews brings in Mark Henry next. Henry talks about looking forward to WrestleMania Axxess and the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. The music starts up and Mathews sends us to the main stage where Michael Cole is starting the press conference.
– Cole welcomes us and plugs WrestleMania. He talks about the significant economic impact that the event brings to communities. Cole introduces Stephanie McMahon next. Stephanie talks about some of her early WrestleMania memories and talks about WrestleMania XXX airing on the WWE Network. She says WWE’s legacy will be immortalized with the Network, which represents forever. Stephanie plugs some of the community events that are planned for New Orleans this week. She talks about how much heart the WWE Superstars have. Stephanie tells everyone to join them and enjoy the ride.
– Cole comes back out and introduces Hulk Hogan, saying he has main evented 1/3 of all WrestleMania events. Hogan tries to get the audience hype. Hogan also talks about WrestleMania coming full circle. Hogan says he’s really happy to be home and asks “whatcha gonna do when Hulkamania runs wild on you?” Hogan says he’s been saying that for 30 years and tries to get some of the people in the crowd to say it but they barely play along. Hogan ends it with some poses. Cole comes back out and introduces Triple H.
– Triple H jokes about having to follow Hogan. He hypes WrestleMania and says he’s a fan. He talks about WWE stars wanting to make history at WrestleMania and brings up NXT. He says NXT is where the dream starts. He mentions The Wyatt Family, The Shield and Big E, calling him Big E Langston. Triple H says they will be living their dream at WrestleMania on Sunday. This year, a new crop of NXT talents will participate in WrestleMania Week, then watch WrestleMania XXX with hopes and dreams of making it to that stage. Triple H plugs some of the WrestleMania Week content that will air on the WWE Network. Triple H says unfortunately for Daniel Bryan, his dream intersects with Triple H’s and that won’t work out well for him. Triple H says only The Game is forever. He thanks everyone and Cole comes back out.
– Cole talks about how the Yes Movement has spread and introduces Daniel Bryan. Bryan has to unbutton his suit jacket to do the “yes!” gesture but the media doesn’t play along. Bryan did get the biggest pop so far from the few fans in the back. Bryan talks about his dream and says he’s here because of the Yes Movement. Bryan says it’s so cool being a part of this. He says people have way more power than we think. Bryan says he has an opportunity to truly go out and live what he dreamed of as a kid on Sunday. Bryan asks if he can do that and has one word for us… yes! Bryan thanks everyone and says WrestleMania is going to be awesome. Cole comes back out and introduces Batista.
– Batista makes a joke about how quiet it is. He finally gets the crowd to make a little bit of noise. He says this is awkward and he really doesn’t want to be here. He points out the script they gave him and says it’s stuff he never would say and whoever wrote it shouldn’t have a job. He says they should be fired, unless it was Stephanie who wrote it. He says Bryan looked funny in his suit and picks on him for chanting “yes!” with nobody doing it along with him. Batista points out the awkward silence. Batista says he had time in between movies and decided to come back and be champion. Batista mocks fans that boo him and says he will wear skinny jeans every week to piss them off. This gets a laugh from the crowd. Batista says at the end of the day he’s a pro wrestler and that’s what he loves. He says being a part of WrestleMania XXX in the main event is special to him. Batista says to take a good look at him because it’s the last time we’ll see him not as champion. He leaves and actually got a better rise from the crowd than anyone so far.
– Cole comes back out and says Batista’s speech was interesting. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton is out next with his titles. Orton says Cole forgot to point out that he’s the face of WWE also. Orton says nobody can stop him. Orton hypes the match again and Cole brings out Batista, Daniel Bryan and Triple H to stand with Orton for an awkward, uncoordinated photo-op. Orton and Batista leave so Bryan and Triple H can have a photo-op of their own. A “yes!” chant starts up in the back and Triple H gestures that it will be a “no!” for Bryan at WrestleMania. Cole comes back out and introduces John Cena.
– Cena also jokes on the media being quiet and calls Batista’s speech a wonderful display of spoken word. Cena talks about spending the morning with Hogan on Good Morning America. He also talks about how WrestleMania has evolved and will be available everywhere with the WWE Network. Cena says he hopes Bryan kicks Triple H’s teeth out at WrestleMania. Cena says WrestleMania is 30 years old but this Sunday’s event is revolutionary. Cena does a Hogan impersonation and asks us where are we gonna be, brother, this Sunday. Cena made no mention of his match against Bray Wyatt. Cole brings out Triple H, Stephanie, Bryan, Batista, Orton, Hogan and Cena to the stage for a big photo-op. They pose for a few minutes before The Great Khali, Mark Henry, the Divas, Big Show and others come out for one more photo-op. That’s it for the press conference.