Wrestling By The Numbers: Jorge ‘El Hijo del Santo’ Guzman Rodriguez
Mar 11, 2014 - by staff
One of the most successful stars in the history of Lucha Libre wrestling who was a second generation superstar Jorge ‘El Hijo del Santo’ Guzman Rodriguez has announced his retirement from in-ring competition. The 50-year-old Mexico City Mexico native had been out of action since late November after taking time off to have damage to his spinal area repaired. After being advised by doctors Rodriguez agreed to end his in-ring career and made the announcement official back on February 20th. His 32-year run competing inside the squared circle started back in 1982 after having been trained by Rafael Salamanca and El Enfermero. He first debuted competing as El Korak before quickly becoming known as El Hijo del Santo. Rodriguez first gained success competing for both the World Wrestling Association and the Universal Wrestling Association before starting with Empressa Mexicana de la Lucha Libre in the summer of 1983.
While competing with EMLL/CMLL Rodriguez had major success having major money feuds with the likes of Aristoteles, Espanto Jr. and he even against his famous father El Santo’s old rival Negro Casas. After a long run with CMLL Rodriguez left the organization and joined Universal Lucha Libre in 1990 and then was a major part of the upstart Asistencia Asesoria y Administracion in the early stages of the decade. His career peaked with AAA in 1994 while teaming with Octagon and having multiple battles against the late Eddie Guerrero and Art Barr. This feud was the hottest thing in professional wrestling during that year and was a major part of the success of the AAA When World’s Collide pay-per-view event from Los Angeles. Rodriguez returned to CMLL in 1995 and for the first time in his career worked as a heel starting in 1996 feuding with the likes of both Negro Casas and El Dandy.
After parting ways with CMLL in 2005 he remained active in Mexico working for numerous independent organizations and for his own promotion called Todo x el Todo. His final match was on October 18th competing for Wrestling In Tijuana where he teamed with L.A. Par-K and Mascara Sagrada against El Hijo del Solitario, Dr. Wagner Jr. & Super Parka. In addition to his wrestling career Rodriguez has also been active over the years working as a political wildlife activist. Much like his father El Santo his career also had an impact on Mexican pop culture as he was featured in comic books, a Mexican reality show and also appeared on an animated television series which aired on the Mexico version of the Cartoon Network.
Below we look at the televised professional wrestling career of Jorge ‘El Hijo del Santo’ Guzman Rodriguez by the numbers…
Consejo Mundial De Lucha Libre:
* 3 Matches on CMLL Pay-Per-View.
* 63 Matches on CMLL On Televisa.
* 33 Main Event Matches on CMLL On Televisa.
Asistencia Asesoria y Administracion:
* 2 Matches on AAA Pay-Per-View.
* 1 Main Event Match on AAA Pay-Per-View.
* 3 Matches on AAA TripleMania.
* 84 Matches on AAA Sin Limite.
* 41 Main Event Matches on AAA Sin Limite.
* 18 Matches on AAA On Televisa Deportes.
* 6 Main Event Matches on AAA On Televisa Deportes.
Universal Wrestling Association:
* 8 Matches on Universal Wrestling Association Television.
* 3 Main Event Matches on Universal Wrestling Association Television.
International Wrestling Revolution Group:
* 8 Matches on International Wrestling Revolution Group Television.
* 8 Main Event Matches on International Wrestling Revolution Group Television.
Los Perros Del Mal:
* 1 Match on PDM Pay-Per-View.
* 1 Main Event Match on PDM Pay-Per-View.
* 6 Matches on PDM On TVC Deportes.
* 4 Main Event Matches on PDM On TVC Deportes.
World Wrestling Entertainment:
* 11 Matches on WWE Super Astros.
* 5 Main Event Matches on WWE Super Astros.
New Japan Pro Wrestling:
* 1 Match on NJPW Lucha World.
All Japan Pro Wrestling:
* 1 Match on AJPW King’s Road New Century.