Triple H Talks About WWE NXT Arrival, Future Plans, Vince’s Reaction to Developmental, More
Feb 26, 2014 - by Marc Middleton
- Triple H participated in a conference call from the WWE Performance Center today to promote Thursday’s WWE NXT Arrival show. Here are highlights:
* He called it a great time to be a wrestling fan, talking about NXT being the future, Hulk Hogan returning, the WWE Network and more.
* He talked about how proud he is of the Performance Center and NXT. He talked about Vince McMahon and WWE being so proud and trusting of NXT to let them have Arrival. He talked about Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn and predicted Cesaro will explode over the next few years.
* Both he and Vince are really behind NXT, which is why it’s the first live special on the Network.
* He said the fans at Full Sail University own the NXT show, comparing it to something like ECW back in the day. He said Arrival feels like the NXT roster’s WrestleMania and they are ready.
* He knows who the next big stars to come out of NXT are but can’t give it away. He said it’s hard keeping things a surprise any more and he likes to have more fun that way.
* He never thought WWE’s talent development was in bad shape but realized it needed to grow. They will likely tour with live shows some more. He doesn’t want NXT to go global but touring would help the talents.
* The conversation between he and Vince when Vince wanted Triple H to take a bigger role in the company was one that took place over a long period of time. He joked that it happened way before he got involved with Stephanie McMahon. He enjoys watching the behind-the-scenes process and felt like a “giddy dad” watching The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family at Elimination Chamber. He said Vince had a huge smile on his face after the match and said, “Wow!”
* He said taking over WWE creative was part of streamlining the process because they want everything to match up.
* He praised the NXT trainers.
* He said the guys from the indies are doing great moves but they need to learn story telling and that slowing down and letting fans digest what’s going on is important.
* They may do more live NXT shows on the Network in the future but right now they’re focused on Arrival. NXT shows around the big pay-per-views like WrestleMania and SummerSlam are possible.