Report: WWE interested in NOAH star

Daily Sports in Japan reports that WWE has offered a contract to Pro Wrestling Noah star KENTA and that Noah will be doing a farewell show for him but that’s likely a premature report. We noted before that KENTA was at the WWE Performance Center for a tryout this week.

KENTA was reportedly recommended by William Regal.

Tags: , , ,

1. Alex says:

They’re going to screw up one of the best talents? Seriously?

“We lost the dude who does the GTS? Let’s get the original then”.

KENTA’s style would never fit in WWE… even though I love this guy to death.

2. Y_Set says:

Seriously ? He’ll end up as stereotypical Japanese villain or jobber.

3. Tyler says:

Another failed use of great talent.

4. Guestbooker 2.0 says:

I’d be glad to see him in WWE. Eventually they have to find a Japanese talent that can succeed in America. They’ve failed at that for too long. As far as his style not working, and them ruining him, everybody said the same thing when Punk and Danielson signed with them. On occasion they get it right. I look at it as a positive that they’re at least trying to get some of the best talent in the world. Even if they’re not 6’5″, 300 lbs. steroid junkies like in the past.

5. Really? says:

What a terrible waste this would be…

6. Japan-1 says:

Punk fears Kenta! The real master of the GTS!

7. bill says:

Daniel Bryan vs KENTA for the title

8. Swayze says:

KENTA has all the skills to make it in WWE. There will definitely be some adjustment but give him a mouthpiece and let him do his thing. They’ve done a great job in the last few years of focusing on in-ring action and allowing people to get over based on their matches.

9. Short Round says:

Didn’t they sign the American equivalent of Kenta a while ago, hmmm I reckon his name was Low Ki, I mean KAVAL….. that turned out great.

10. Jumping Junior says:

WWE doesn’t ruin things. And people just like making up stuff. “styles” aren’t even that big of a deal for crying out loud. People make some kind of big deal about the likes of Sin Cara saying how he couldn’t do the WWE style. That was bs to anyone with eyes. Was he as good as he was with the old style, not really, but he was able to wrestle just as fine as anyone else. Just like anyone who goes to another company with a slightly different style. There are no damn exceptions to this rule at all.

I can not name one single wrestler who has gone from one promotion to another that somehow hasn’t fit in because of his/her “style” It just doesn’t exist.

11. Deathedge says:

@Jumping Junior

Not sure what Sin Cara matches you were watching. The guy botched more then the Divas.

I do agree that style isn’t really an issue here. The only time style is an issue nowadays is if it’s an insane high flying style, since WWE wants to limit that sort of thing. I haven’t watched a crapton of KENTA stuff, but based on what I did see he wrestles a rather mat based style which is fine for WWE.

Also, in regards to “style” top wrestlers honestly should be able to adapt, especially since WWE’s style isn’t exactly complicated. I could see, say, Kane having issues if he went to CMLL or something, but KENTA or Shinsuke Nakamura or anyone like that should do fine in WWE.

12. Really? says:

KENTA is great at high flying. He’s just well-rounded. In WWE, he probably wouldn’t be allowed to showcase 1/3 of his ability in the ring. Look at matches with Daniel Bryan or CM Punk on the indies compared to their post-developmental work. They are required to hold back in the ring, pick of handful of moves to always do, and pretty much stick to them. WWE calls it “Main Event Style’ and it’s required so you don’t ridiculously outshine and put to shame certain important performers who can’t keep up with anything else.

13. Deathedge says:

So, again, it’s a simplistic style. I never said it was a “good” style, just simple. Personally, I wish WWE would let the workers who can work off the leash more often. I think seeing guys in WWE really is a double edged sword, on the 1 hand it’s great that they get to showcase their skill for the biggest stage in the wrestling world but on the flip side they have to work a style that doesn’t let them showcase how good they really are.

I’ve seen A LOT of Punk and Bryan’s ROH work as well as their stuff in other indies, both against each other and against other people, and I will admit work rate wise it is FAR superior to most (not all, but most) of their WWE stuff. KENTA probably would be the same case but I still wouldn’t mind seeing what WWE would do with him.

14. Deathedge says:

For what it’s worth, I think his size would cause WWE to not exactly do much with him. His mentor, the original Kenta (Kobashi) likely would of gotten somewher in WWF back in the day since Vince LOVES his bodybuilders, but KENTA is… what 180ish? To get a heavy push at that size you have to get lucky, but he could be a great fixture for WWE’s undercard.

15. dave says:

I STILL LOVE how whenever WWE signs a significant talent we get the usual: “he’ll be used wrong”, “they’ll ruin him”, etc, etc…

Punk and Bryan didn’t get lucky, they stuck at it and won the fans over. KENTA can do this, I would love if they just debuted him as a silent wrestler who does one thing only: out fight his opponents; out kicking, moving and smarting. Just let him wrestle and do his thing. Not likely but sometimes the simplest things work for the right guy.

But if he signs, what’s the odds on his music being some sort of oriental Jim Johnston mix? It’s hard to imagine WWE not going there.