This Day In Wrestling History- January 13th
1990 – Chris Chavis, best known as Tatanka in the WWF/E, wrestles his debut match against Joe Thunderstorm for Larry Sharpe’s World Wrestling Alliance in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
1997 – The Monday Night Wars continued with: WCW Monday Nitro defeating WWF Monday Night RAW: Nitro’s 3.4 rating to Raw’s 2.3 rating
2014 – The Ultimate Warrior was announced as the 1st member of the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2014 on Monday Night Raw
In 1990, The WWF holds an event at the Boston Garden in Boston, Massachusetts:
– Earthquake defeated Paul Roma.
– Koko B. Ware pinned Al Perez.
– Bret Hart pinned Iron Mike Sharpe (subbing for Bad News Brown).
– Jimmy Snuka pinned The Honky Tonk Man.
– WWF Tag Team Champions The Colossal Connection (Andre the Giant & Haku) defeated Demolition (Ax & Smash) by countout.
– Randy Savage pinned Jim Duggan with his feet on the ropes.
– WWF Intercontinental Champion The Ultimate Warrior pinned Dino Bravo
In 1993, WCW Clash of the Champions XXII was the final Clash for Jim Ross, who left WCW for the WWF shortly after. It was held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
– Cactus Jack defeated Johnny B Badd
– Chris Benoit defeated Brad Armstrong
– 2 Cold Scorpio pinned Scotty Flamingo
– Vinnie Vegas defeats Tony Atlas in an Arm Wrestling Match
– Shane Douglas & Ricky Steamboat defeat Brian Pillman & Steve Austin to retain the WCW & NWA Tag Team Titles
– Dustin Rhodes, Sting & Cactus Jack defeat Big Van Vader, Paul Orndorff & Barry Windham in a Thundercage Match
In 2003, All Japan Pro Wrestling held an untitled PPV in Osaka, Japan
– Abdullah The Butcher & Nobukazu Hirai defeat Tomoaki Honma & Ryuji Hijikata
– Steve Williams, Mike Rotundo & Shigeo Okumura defeat Johnny Smith, George Hines & Hideki Hosaka
– Genichiro Tenryu & 200% Machine defeat Arashi & Nobutaka Araya
– Shinya Hashimoto & Kazuhiko Ogasawara defeat Satoshi Kojima & Kendo Kashin
– The Great Muta defeats The Gladiator to retain the AJPW Triple Crown Title
2007 – Pro Wrestling Guerrilla held “Based on a True Story” at the American Legion in Reseda, California:
– Frankie Kazarian defeated Scorpio Sky in a Loser Leaves PWG match.
– Rocky Romero defeated Colt Cabana.
– Disco Machine, Nemesis and TJ Perkins defeated Karl Anderson, Bino Gambino and Scott Lost.
– In a PWG World Title #1 Contender’s match, Kevin Steen defeated Chris Bosh.
– Ronin defeated Super Dragon.
– PWG World Tag Team Champions Cape Fear (El Generico & Quicksilver) defeated Los Luchas (Phoenix Star and Zokre) to retain the title.
– Human Tornado defeated PWG World Champion Joey Ryan in a Guerrilla Warfare match to win the title.
In 2013, TNA held their Genesis PPV at the Impact Zone in Orlando, Fl.:
– Hernandez & Chavo Guerrero Jr. defeated Matt Morgan & Joey Ryan to retain the TNA Tag Team titles
– Mr. Anderson defeated Samoa Joe
– Christian York defeated Kenny King to become the #1 contender for the X Division Title
– Rob Van Dam defeated Christian York to retain the TNA X Division Title
– Devon defeated Joseph Parks
– Velvet Sky defeated ODB, Miss Tessmacher, Gail Kim, & Mickie James in a gauntlet match to become the #1 contender for the TNA Knockout’s title
– Christopher Daniels (w/ Kazarian) defeated James Storm to become the #1 contender for the TNA Heavyweight Title
– Sting defeated D.O.C.- Jeff Hardy defeated Austin Aries & Bobby Roode to retain the TNA Heavyweight Title in a 3 way match
1962 – El Greco defeats Bruce Arthur to win the Australian Light Heavyweight Title in Melbourne, Australia
1967 – Butcher & Mad Dog Vachon defeat Enrique & Ramon Torres to win the Georgia NWA World Tag Team Title in Atlanta, Georgia
1978 – Chavo & Hector Guerrero defeat Black Gordman & Goliath to win the NWA Americas Tag Team Title
2002- Moondog Manson defeated Wrathchild to win the ECCW Hardcore Title in Cloverdale, British Columbia
2007 – Slim Pickens defeats Gaylon Ray for the New Blood Wrestling High Risk Title in Dyersburg, Tennessee
Happy birthday to former WWE wrestler Shad Gaspard (33), former Stampede star Bruce Hart (63), one-time IWGP Tag & Junior Heavyweight Tag Champion Yujiro Takahashi (33), Tough Enough 5 runner-up Luke Robinson (28), former WWF jobber Reno Riggins (49) & current WWE NXT wrestler Mason Ryan (32)
Also, today would have been the birthday of 4-time ECW Tag Team Champion John Kronus (45) & former NWA regular Bearcat Wright (82)
On this day in 2009, the wrestling world lost 4-time USWA Tag Team Champion Lanny Kean, better known as Moondog Cujo or Hillbilly Cousin Junior at the age of 48. Kean began his professional wrestling career in 1983, moving to the WWF two years later, where he became a member of the Hillbilly family. Kean’s tenure with the WWF was short, after a series of backstage problems (rumored to have been sparked by Kean’s drug abuse) saw him fired. He then flitted through several promotions, including the CWA and AWA before joining the USWA’s Moondogs, where he found the biggest success of his career. Nearer the end of his USWA stint, he also received a singles push as Big Daddy Cyrus. Around 1998, Kean quit the wrestling business, only to return nearly a decade later in Jerry Lawler’s Memphis promotion, resuming his Moondog gimmick. Kean succumbed to a heart attack at his home in Jamestown, Kentucky