This Day In Wrestling History- January 11th
Jan 11, 2014 - by Andrew Davis
1993– WWF Monday Night Raw debuts on the USA Network
1999- The Monday Night Wars continued, WWF Raw defeated WCW Monday Nitro, 5.5 to a 5.0 rating
2010 – Mike Tyson Guest Hosted WWE’s Monday Night Raw
1987 – The WWF held an event at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Ontario. Most of the matches from the event aired on the January 26, February 23 & May 4 editions of Prime Time Wrestling:
- Jose Rivera pinned Terry Gibbs.
- Don Muraco and Koko B. Ware fought to a 20-minute time-limit draw
- Brutus Beefcake & Greg Valentine defeats Mike Rotundo & Danny Spivey, when Valentine hit Spivey with a double axehandle while Spivey had Beefcake covered, with Beefcake the getting the pin.
- George Steele defeated Johnny V (subbing for The Honky Tonk Man, who was at ringside with his arm in a cast and sling) by disqualification when Honky hit Steele with the cast & choked him with the sling.
- Dino Bravo pinned Scott McGhee.
- Jake Roberts and King Kong Bundy fought to a double countout.
- Paul Roma pinned Barry O.
- The Junkyard Dog (subbing for The Dynamite Kid) & WWF Tag Team Champion Davey Boy Smith defeated The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart), when JYD pinned Bret.
- WWF Champion Hulk Hogan defeated Kamala in a steel cage match
1997 – ECW holds House Party ’97 at the ECW Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:
- Chris Candido pinned Louie Spicolli.
- Mikey Whipwreck pinned Spike Dudley.
- ECW World Tag Team Champions The Eliminators (Saturn & Kronus) defeated Axl Rotten & D-Von Dudley to retain the title.
- The Gangstas (New Jack and Mustapha Saed) defeated Ricky Morton and Tommy Rich, when New Jack pinned Rich.
- Tommy Rich pinned Ricky Morton.
- Mike Awesome pinned Balls Mahoney.
- Buh Buh Ray Dudley and Pitbull #2 fought to a no contest.
- Brian Lee pinned Terry Funk.
- Pitbull #1 defeated ECW World Television Champion Shane Douglas by countout
2003 – Ring of Honor holds “Revenge of the Prophecy” in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania:
- Chad Collyer defeated Matt Stryker.
- Super Hentai defeated Mega.
- CM Punk defeated Michael Shane.
- Konnan and Devine Storm (Chris Divine and Quiet Storm) defeated Ghost Shadow and The S.A.T. (Joel and Jose Maximo).
- Da Hit Squad (Mafia & Monsta Mack) defeated The Carnage Crew (Tony DeVito & H.C. Loc) in a Weapons match.
- Special K (Angel Dust, Deranged, Hydro, Slugger and Yeyo) defeated The Ring Crew Express (Dunn and Marcos) and The Outcast Killaz (Diablo Santiago and Oman Turtoga) in a Tag Team Scramble match.
- Paul London defeated Colt Cabana, Homicide and B.J. Whitmer in a four-way match.
- Samoa Joe defeated Bryan Danielson.
- Low Ki and A.J. Styles defeated ROH Tag Team Champion Christopher Daniels & ROH Heavyweight Champion Xavier in a No Holds Barred match
In 2009, TNA Genesis was held in Charlotte, North Carolina
– Alex Shelley defeats Chris Sabin in the final of a tournament to win the vacant TNA X-Division Title
– Beer Money Inc (James Storm & Robert Roode) defeat Matt Morgan & Abyss and Lethal Consequences (Jay Lethal & Consequences Creed) in a 3-Way Match to win the TNA Tag Team Titles
– Sting defeats Rhino to retain the TNA World Title
– Mick Foley, AJ Styles & Brother Devon defeat Cute Kip, Booker T & Scott Steiner in a Hardcore Match
1957 – Jerry Graham defeats Chief Big Heart to win the Georgia NWA Southern Heavyweight Title in Atlanta, Georgia
1962 – Johnny Valentine & Bob Ellis defeat The Fabulous Kangaroos to win the NWA Northeast United States Tag Team Titles
1963 – Rip Hawk defeats El Medico II to win the NWA Texas Heavyweight Title in Houston, Texas
1979 – Ron Bass defeats Ray Candy to win the NWA Arkansas Heavyweight Title in Little Rock, Arkansas
1980 – Mr Hito & Mr Sakurada defeat Jose Lothario & El Halcon to win the WCCW American Tag Team Titles
1981 – Kerry von Erich & Bruiser Brody defeat Gino Hernandez & Gary Young to win the WCCW American Tag Team Titles
1984 – Mike Davis & Mike Rotundo defeat Ron Bass and The One Man Gang to win the Florida NWA United States Tag Team Title in Tampa, Florida
1985 – The Midnight Express (Dennis Condrey & Bobby Eaton) defeat The Fantastics (Tommy Rogers & Bobby Fulton) to win the WCCW American Tag Team Titles
1985 – Ole Anderson & Thunderbolt Patterson defeat The Long Riders (Bill & Scott Irwin) to win the NWA National Tag Team Title in Columbus, Ohio
1986 – Sam Houston defeats Krusher Khrushchev to win the NWA Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title in Atlanta, Georgia
1991 – Ric Flair defeats Sting to win the NWA World Title and also becomes the 1st recognized WCW World Champion
1993 – Dustin Rhodes defeats Ricky Steamboat to win the vacant WCW United States Title
2005 – on Smackdown, The Basham Brothers (Danny & Doug) defeat Rob Van Dam & Rey Mysterio, Luther Reigns & Mark Jindrak and Booker T & Eddie Guerrero in a Fatal Four Way Elimination Match to win the WWE Tag Team Titles
Happy birthday to UK legend Mick McManus (93), former AJPW and IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Kuniaki Kobayashi (58), famed ‘minis’ wrestler Mascarita Sagrada (49), & WWE Hall of Famer Abdullah the Butcher (73)
Also, today would have been the birthday of 2-time NWA Light Heavyweight Champion Gory Guerrero (93)
In 1966, German-Canadian wrestler Martin Hutzler passed away at age 42, from complications of diabetes and throat cancer