This Day In Wrestling History- January 10th
Jan 10, 2014 - by staff
1998 – Mike Tyson & the WWF agree to a deal for Tyson to appear at March 29’s WrestleMania 14, as “special enforcer” for the event’s WWF Title match
2000– WWF Monday Night Raw defeated WCW Monday Nitro in the Monday Night Wars ratings: 6.8 to 3.5
2007 – “Armed & Famous” a reality show featuring celebrities training to be police officers in Muncie, Indiana, debuted on CBS, featuring former WWE Women’s champion Trish Stratus. The series would only last four episodes
2011 – Shawn Michaels was announced as the 1st member of the 2011 WWE Hall of Fame Class
1981 – The WWF holds two events at two of their major northeastern arenas:
At the Boston Garden in Boston, Massachusetts:
– Joe Crugnale defeated Mike Striker.
– Pete Doherty defeated Fred Marzino.
– Jose Estrada and Johnny Rodz defeated Angelo Gomez and Steve King.
– Stan Hansen defeated Bruno Sammartino by countout.
– Baron Mikel Scicluna defeated Dave Darrow.
– WWF Intercontinental Champion Pedro Morales defeated The Hangman.
– Killer Khan defeated Rick McGraw.
– Hulk Hogan defeated Dominic DeNucci in nine seconds.
At the Spectrum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:
– Frank Savage and Jim Duggan to a draw.
– Larry Sharpe defeated Rick McGraw.
– Pat Patterson defeated Bulldog Brower.
– The Moondogs defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Tony Garea and Rick Martel by disqualification.
– Tony Atlas defeated Larry Zbyszko by countout.
– Sgt. Slaughter defeated WWF Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund by countout
1994 – The WWF has its “Monday Night RAW” first-anniversary edition, which aired from the Richmond Coliseum in Richmond, Virginia. The next two weeks of RAW were taped as well. The results from the January 10 show:
– In one of the biggest upsets in WWF history, The 1-2-3 Kid and Marty Jannetty defeated WWF Tag Team Champions The Quebecers (Jacques and Pierre) after a simultaneous Jannetty suplex and crossbody from The Kid, to win the titles.
– Ludvig Borga defeated Brad Anderson by submission with the Torture Rack.
– The Undertaker pinned Ray Hudson after a Tombstone piledriver.
– Bam Bam Bigelow pinned Bastion Booger
In 1999, the 1st ECW Guilty As Charged was held in Kissimmee, Florida:
– Sid Vicious defeats John Kronus
– Rob Van Dam defeats Lance Storm to retain the ECW Television Title
– Justin Credible defeats Tommy Dreamer in a Stairway to Hell Ladder Match
– Taz defeats Shane Douglas to win the ECW World Title
In 2014, TNA Impact Wrestling’s One Night Only: Hardcore Justice 3 aired on ppv. It was taped on December 29th, 2013, at Lowell Auditorium, in Lowell, Massachusetts. With an attendance of 1,000:
– Ethan Carter III defeated Tommy Dreamer in a Tables Match
– Austin Aries defeated Chris Sabin in a Xscpae Match
– Bobby Roode defeated Samoa Joe via DQ for the Numbers Advantage in the Lethal Lockdown Match
– Lei’D Tapa defeated Velvet Sky in a Knockout’s Street Fight
– Joseph Park & Eric Young defeated Bad Influence (Christopher Daniels & Kazarian) in a Full Metal Mayhem Match
– Bully Ray defeated Mr. Anderson in a Last Man Standing Match
– Team Angle (Kurt Angle, Abyss, Samoa Joe, & James Storm) defeated Team Roode (Bobby Roode, Magnus, & The BroMans (Robbie E. & Jesse Godderz) in a Lethal Lockdown Match
1969 – Fred Blassie defeats Bobo Brazil to win the NWA Americas Heavyweight Title in Los Angeles, California
1979 – Tully Blanchard defeats Dale Valentine (Buddy Roberts) to win the Southwest Championship Wrestling Southwest Television Title
1983 – Nick Bockwinkel defeats Jerry Lawler ton win the held up AWA World Heavyweight Title in Memphis, Tennessee. The title was held up after Lawler defeated Bockwinkel for the title on December 27 in Memphis
1994 – The 123 Kid & Marty Jannetty defeat The Quebecers (Pierre & Jacques) to win the WWF Tag Team Titles
1996 – Lady Satan defeats Miss Texas to win the USWA Women’s Title
1999 – Abdullah the Butcher defeats Shadow WX for the BJW Deathmatch Heavyweight Title in Fukuoka, Japan
2004 – Mitsuharu Misawa & Yoshinari Ogawa defeat Yuji Nagata & Hiroshi Tanahashi to win the GHC Tag Team Titles
2004 – Jerrelle Clark defeats Chris Draven to win the NWA Junior Heavyweight Title
2005 – Taka Michinoku defeats Kaz Hayashi to win the AJPW Junior Heavyweight Title and the Strongest-K Championship
2006 – on Smackdown, Kurt Angle wins a 20-Man Battle Royal, last eliminating Mark Henry, to win the vacant World Heavyweight Title. Also, Randy Orton defeats Chris Benoit to win the WWE United States Title for Booker T. Booker suffered an injury in the 3rd match of the best of 7 series, so Orton subbed for him in the remaining matches
Happy birthday to 5-time WCW Tag Team Champion Buff Bagwell (44), one-time WWF Tag Team Champion Brian Lawler (42), one half of the first ROH Tag Team Champions Donovan Morgan (38), former AWA and NWA regular Colonel DeBeers (69), 5-time CMLL Tag Team Champion Negro Casas (54), Japanese regular Kikutaro (37), joshi star Yumiko Hotta (47), current WWE Diva Tamina (36), & Jerry Estrada (55)
Also, today would have been the birthday of former JCP star ‘Pistol’ Pez Whatley (63)