This Day In Wrestling History – January 5th
Jan 5, 2014 - by staff
1998 -The Monday Night War continued, WCW Monday Nitro defeats WWF Monday Night Raw 4.3 to 3.3 ratings.
2011 – New Japan Pro Wrestling announces it will institute a new belt, the IWGP Intercontinental championship. MVP would win a tournament to become the 1st champion several months later
In 1991 – The WWF runs an event at the Capital Centre in Landover, Maryland:
– Jimmy Snuka pinned Greg Valentine.
– WWF Tag Team Champions The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart) defeated Power & Glory (Hercules & Paul Roma) to retain the titles.
– WWF Intercontinental Champion Kerry Von Erich pinned Virgil to retain the title.
– Jake Roberts defeated Rick Martel by disqualification.
– The Legion of Doom (Animal & Hawk) defeated The Orient Express (Kato & Tanaka).
– Hulk Hogan & Tugboat defeated Dino Bravo & Earthquake
1996 – ECW holds “House Party ’96” at the ECW Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:
– 911 & Rey Misterio, Jr. defeated The Eliminators (Kronus & Saturn), when Misterio pinned Saturn.
– Rob Van Dam pinned Axl Rotten in his ECW Arena debut.
– 2 Cold Scorpio pinned ECW World Television and World Tag Team Champion Mikey Whipwreck to win the Television title
– Taz defeated Hack Myers by submission.
– Buh Buh Ray Dudley pinned Jimmy Del Ray.
– The Bad Crew and J.T. Smith & Tony Stetson fought to a no contest.
– ECW World Heavyweight Champion The Sandman defeated Konnan by TKO.
– Sabu pinned Stevie Richards.
– The Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge & Rocco Rock) defeated The Gangstas (New Jack & Mustapha Saed), when Rock pinned Saed. This was Public Enemy’s last ECW match before leaving for WCW
1948 – Orville Brown defeats Sonny Myers to become the first NWA World Champion
1965 – Fritz Von Erich defeats Pepper Gomez for the NWA Texas Heavyweight Title
1966 – Nick Kozak defeats Killer Kowalski to win the Hawaii version of the NWA United States Heavyweight Title
1968 – Stan Stasiak defeats Moondog Mayne to win the NWA Pacific Northwest Heavyweight Title
1978 – The Samoans (Afa & Sika) defeat Animal Hamaguchi & Great Kusatsu to win the International Wrestling Alliance Tag Team Title in Osaka, Japan
1988 – John Tatum & Jack Victory defeat Skip Young in a Handicap Match (Tony Atlas no-showed) to win the WCCW Texas Tag Team Titles
1989 – The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs & Jerry Sags) defeat Johnny Ace & The Terminator to win the NWA Florida Tag Team Title in Nassau, Bahamas
1990 – Kerry Von Erich defeats Jerry Lawler to win the World Class Texas Heavyweight Title in Dallas, Texas
1998 – On WWF Monday Night Raw: Jeff Jarrett defeated Barry Windham to win the vacant NWA North American Heavyweight Title
Happy birthday to former ECW Tag Team Champion Doug Gilbert (42), Joshi regular Misaki Ohata (25), one-time IWGP Tag Team Champion Yutaka Yoshie, one-time WWF, AJPW & GHC Tag Team Champion Barry ‘Bull’ Buchanan (46), former NWO girl, & 2000 Miss WCW Pamela Paulshock (44), & indy wrestler Willie Mack (27).
Also, today would have been the birthday of former World Class and WCW wrestler Jeep Swenson (57)