This Day In Wrestling History- January 3rd
Jan 3, 2014 - by Andrew Davis
2000- WWF Monday Night Raw defeated WCW Monday Nitro 6.4 to 3.3 as the Monday Night Wars entered it’s final full year.
2010- Jeff Hardy announced he was returning to TNA for their first live Impact on Mondays, which would air the next day
2012 – The Nevada State Athletic Commission announced that Brock Lesnar had been issued a six month medical suspension. Lesnar has been suspended through 6/28 due to an abdominal injury suffered in his match against Alistair Overeem
In 1981- The WWF ran a show at Capital Center in Landover, Maryland. The results:
- Yoshiaki Yatsu (advertised to be Bulldog Brower) & Johnny Rodz fought to a draw.
- Larry Sharpe defeated Ron Shaw.
- Special Delivery Jones defeated Jose Estrada.
- Killer Khan defeated Dominic DeNucci.
- Tony Atlas defeated The Hangman.
- Tony Atlas defeated Ernie Ladd by countout.
- The Moondogs (King and Rex) defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Tony Garea & Rick Martel by disqualification.
- Bulldog Brower (advertised to be Larry Sharpe) defeated Rick McGraw.
- Sgt. Slaughter defeated WWF Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund by disqualification
1987- The WWF ran an event at the Boston Garden in Boston, Massachusetts, with the matches airing live on the New England Sports Network, as well as on the January 14, 19 and February 13 editions of Prime Time Wrestling:
- Dan Spivey pinned Jimmy Jack Funk with a reverse roll-up.
- Don Muraco pinned Lanny Poffo with a powerslam.
- Greg Valentine pinned Dick Slater after sending Slater into the corner.
- Tama pinned Scott McGhee with a flying bodypress.
- WWF Intercontinental Champion Randy Savage defeated Bruno Sammartino by countout after hitting him with a chair on the floor.
- Sika pinned Corporal Kirchner after a diving headbutt.
- Mike Rotundo pinned Pete Doherty after an airplane spin.
- Blackjack Mulligan pinned Brutus Beefcake after a flying back elbow.
- Hillbilly Jim defeated Jim Neidhart by disqualification after Neidhart shoved the referee down twice.
- Blackjack Mulligan won a 20-man Bunkhouse Battle Royal, last eliminating King Kong Bundy
1964 – The Destroyer defeats Mad Dog Vachon to win the NWA Pacific Northwest Heavyweight Title in Portland, Oregon
1965 – Pat Patterson defeats Pepper Martin to win the NWA Pacific Northwest Heavyweight Title
1965 – Johnny Valentine defeats The Sheik to win the NWA United States Heavyweight Title in Toronto, Ontario
1977 – Bruiser Brody defeats Fritz Von Erich to win the WCCW American Heavyweight Title
1978 – Randy Savage defeats Don Kent to win the NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Title in Birmingham, Alabama
1980 – Jimmy Valiant defeats Jerry Lawler to win the AWA Southern Heavyweight Title in Jackson, Tennessee
1983 – The Great Kabuki defeats Al Madril to win the WCCW Television Title
1986 – The Fabulous Freebirds (Terry Gordy, Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts) defeat Kerry Von Erich, Kevin Von Erich & Brian Adias to win the WCCW World 6-Man Tag Team Titles
1987 – Bill Dundee defeats Sam Houston to win the NWA Central States Heavyweight Title in Topeka, Kansas
1987 – Masanobu Fuchi defeats Kuniaki Kobayashi to win the AJPW Junior Heavyweight Title
1998 – Michael Modest defeats Donovan Morgan for the All Pro Wrestling Universal Heavyweight Title in Hayward, Ca.
2000 – on Raw, Triple H defeats The Big Show to win the WWF Title. Also, Chris Jericho & Chyna’s WWF Intercontinental Title match ended in a double pinfall. At the time, they were announced as co-champions, but current WWE Title Histories consider the title vacated
2000 – on Nitro, David Flair & Crowbar win a tournament to win the vacant WCW Tag Team Titles
2004 -Abdullah the Butcher defeats Carly Colon the WWC Universal Heavyweight Title in Bayamon, Puerto Rico,
2008 – Joe Doering & Keiji Mutoh defeat Satoshi Kojima & Taru to win the AJPW Unified World Tag Team Titles
2009 – Minoru Suzuki & Nosawa Rongai defeat Osamu Nishimura & Masanobu Fuchi in the final of a tournament to win the vacant AJPW All Asia Tag Team Titles
2010 – Masakatsu Funaki & Keiji Mutoh defeat Taiyo Kea & Minoru Suzuki to win the AJPW Unified World Tag Team Titles
Happy birthday to former WWF and ECW wrestler Vic Grimes (51), 3-time ECW Tag Team Champion New Jack (51), famed midget wrestler Lord Littlebrook (85) and WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross (62)