This Day In Wrestling History – January 1st
Jan 1, 2014 - by staff
From me & everyone here at Gerweck.net, We’d like to wish all of our readers Happy & safe New Year! & Please no matter what, do not drink & drive. It just might be your own life you safe!
2007 – MTV aired a preview of its planned Tuesday night block that would debut on 1/30/07, including footage from the original Wrestling Society X pilot
In 1982 – The St. Louis Wrestling Club held the “Sam Muchnick Retirement Show” before 19,821 at The Checkerdome in St. Louis, Missouri:
– NWA Central States Tag Team Champion Bob Brown and Jerry Brown fought to a draw.
– NWA World Women’s Tag Team Champions Joyce Grable & Wendi Richter defeated Early Dawn & Sandy Partlow to retain the title.
– Pat O’Connor defeated Bob Sweetan.
– Jerry Blackwell defeated Ox Baker and Bruce Reed in a Handicap match.
– Rufus R. Jones and David Von Erich fought Harley Race and Greg Valentine to a double-disqualification.
– Dick the Bruiser defeated NWA Missouri Heavyweight Champion Ken Patera to win the title, beginning the Bruiser’s third reign and ending Patera’s second.
– NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair defeated Dusty Rhodes in a Best-of-Three Falls match, 2-1, to retain the title
1983 – Southwest Championship Wrestling held a one-night 16-man tournament for the SCW Southwest Heavyweight Title. Dick Slater had left the promotion in December, leaving the title vacant:
– Tully Blanchard defeated Ken Lucas.
– Jerry Lawler defeated SCW Southwest Tag Team Champion Grappler #1.
– Scott Casey defeated Bobby Jaggers.
– Mike Graham defeated SCW Southwest Tag Team Champion Grappler #2.
– Adrian Adonis defeated Steve O.
– Ricky Morton defeated The Ninja Warrior.
– Tonga John defeated Baron Von Raschke.
– Bob Sweetan defeated Gino Hernandez.
– Tully Blanchard defeated Jerry Lawler.
– Mike Graham defeated Scott Casey.
– Adrian Adonis defeated Ricky Morton.
– Bob Sweetan defeated Tonga John.
– Tully Blanchard defeated Mike Graham.
– Bob Sweetan defeated Adrian Adonis.
– Tully Blanchard defeated Bob Sweetan to win the vacant SCW Southwest Heavyweight Title. This began Blanchard’s seventh reign
1936 – The Great Mephisto defeats Walter Roxey to win the MWA World Light Heavyweight Title in Detroit, Michigan
1946 – Larry Tillman defeats Marshall Esteppe to win the NWA Junior Heavyweight Title
1949 – Dizzy Davis defeats Antonino Rocca to win the Texas Heavyweight Title in Waco, Texas
1970 – Dick Murdoch defeats The Lawman (Don Slatton) to win the Amarillo NWA Brass Knuckles Title in Amarillo, Texas
1975 – Harley Race is awarded the NWA Mid-Atlantic United States Title, thus becoming the first man to hold the title known today as the WWE United States Title
1978 – Blackjack Mulligan defeats Ricky Steamboat to win the NWA Mid-Atlantic United States Title
1979 – Jack & Jerry Brisco defeat Dory Funk, Jr. & Terry Funk for the NWA Georgia Tag Team Title in Atlanta, Georgia
1980 – Ricky and Robert Gibson win their second AWA Southern Tag Team Title in Memphis, Tennessee
1982 – Tiger Mask defeats Dynamite Kid to win the vacant WWF Junior Heavyweight Title
1985 – Jay & Mark Youngblood defeat Krusher Khrushchev and Jim Neidhart to win the Florida NWA United States Tag Team Title in Tampa, Florida
1986 – Dick Slater defeats Butch Reed to win the MSW North American Title. Also, Jake Roberts defeats Dick Slater in the final of a tournament to win the vacant MSW Television Title
2005 – Místico defeats Averno to win the NWA World Middleweight Title in Mexico City, Mexico
2012 – El Terrible defeats Rush to win the vacant CMLL World Heavyweight Title
Happy birthday to one-time WWF Hardcore Champion Rodney of The Mean Street Posse (43), one-time TNA World Champion Bobby Roode (37), UK indy regular Roy ‘The Zebra Kid’ Bevis (32), former WCW valet Kimberly Page (44), 2-time CMLL Heavyweight Champion Rayo de Jalisco Jr (54) and legendary manager ‘The Mouth of the South’ Jimmy Hart (70)