This Day In Wrestling History – December 29th
Dec 29, 2013 - by Andrew Davis
1997 -WCW Nitro defeated WWF Raw in the Monday Night Ratings War 4.6 to 3.6
2009 – Tommy Dreamer wrestled his last match on the WWE’s version of ECW. Losing to Zack Ryder (w/ Rosa Mendes) in a match Dreamer has promised to leave ECW if he lost.
In 1991, WCW Starrcade: Battlebowl/The Lethal Lottery was held in Norfolk, Virginia. This event solely featured the the qualifying matches for the Battlebowl, followed by the Battlebowl itself. 40 wrestlers were chosen at random to form 10 tag team matches, with each winning pair advancing to the Battlebowl. This was also the first Starrcade since it’s inception in 1983 that did not feature Ric Flair
– Marcus Bagwell & Jimmy Garvin defeat Michael Hayes & Tracy Smothers
– Steve Austin & Rick Rude defeat Van Hammer & Big Josh
– Dustin Rhodes & Richard Morton defeat Larry Zbyszko & El Gigante
– Bill Kazmaier & Jushin Liger defeat Diamond Dallas Page & Mike Graham
– Lex Luger & Arn Anderson defeat Terrance Taylor & The Z-Man
– Ricky Steamboat & Todd Champion defeat Cactus Jack & Buddy Lee Parker
– Sting & Abdullah The Butcher defeat Brian Pillman & Bobby Eaton
– Big Van Vader & Mr Hughes defeat Rick Steiner & The Nightstalker
– Scott Steiner & Firebreaker Chip defeat Arachnaman & Johnny B Badd
– Ron Simmons & Thomas Rich defeat Steve Armstrong & PN News
– Sting wins the Battlebowl
In 1996, WCW Starrcade was held in Nashville, Tennessee
– The Ultimate Dragon defeats Dean Malenko to unify the J-Crown Championship & the WCW Cruiserweight Title
– Akira Hokuto defeats Madusa to become the 1st WCW Women’s Champion
– The Outsiders (Kevin Nash & Scott Hall) defeat The Faces of Fear (Meng & The Barbarian) to retain the WCW World Tag Team Titles
– Eddy Guerrero defeats Diamond Dallas Page to win the vacant WCW United States Title
– Lex Luger defeats The Giant
– Roddy Piper defeats Hollywood Hogan
2001 – Jimmy Hart’s short-lived X Wrestling Federation holds it’s 1st of only 4 events in Milwaukee, Wisconsin at the U.S. Cellular Arena. The results:
– Hail defeated Greg Valentine.
– Drezden defeated Big Vito.
– XWF Cruiserweight Champion Kid Kash defeated Josh Mathews.
– Vampire & Johnny B. Badd defeated Buff Bagwell & Curt Hennig.
– Jim Duggan defeated The Wall.
– Ian Harrison defeated Norman Smiley.
– The Road Warriors (Animal and Hawk) defeated XWF Tag Team Champions The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs & Jerry Sags) in a non-title match
In 2007, ROH Rising Above was held in New York City (aired on March 7th, 2008)
-Daizee Haze defeated Sara Del Rey & Lacey
– Delirious defeated Brent Albright (w/ Adam Pearce)
– Kevin Steen & El Generico defeated The Age of the Fall (Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black) (w/ Lacey), The Hangmen 3 (Adam Pearce & B. J. Whitmer), & The Vulture Squad (Jack Evans & Ruckus) (w/ Julius Smokes)
– Davey Richards defeated Erick Stevens
– Claudio Castagnoli defeats Chris Hero (w/ Larry Sweeney, Tank Toland, & Bobby Dempsey)
– Nigel McGuinness defeats Austin Aries to retain the ROH World Title
– Bryan Danielson defeats Takeshi Morishima by DQ
– The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark) defeat The No Remorse Corps (Roderick Strong & Rocky Romero) in a 2-out-of-3 Falls Match to retain the ROH Tag Team Titles
1922 – Sam Hanna defeats Kid Ross to become the 1st Canadian Welterweight Champion in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada
1937 – Lou Thesz defeats Everett Marshall for the National Wrestling Association & Midwest Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Titles in St. Louis, Missouri
1964 – Tarzan Tyler defeats Bob Orton in Tampa, Florida to win the Florida version of the NWA Southern Heavyweight Title
1973 – Moondog Mayne defeats Pat Patterson ton win NWA United States Heavyweight Title in San Francisco, Ca.
1974 – Fritz Von Erich defeats Blackjack Lanza to win the WCCW American Heavyweight Title
1985 – Stan Hansen defeats Rick Martel to win the AWA World Title
1991 – Baron Von Raschke & Ken Patera defeat The Punishers (Sledge & Hammer) to win the Pro Wrestling America Tag Team Title in St. Paul, Minnesota
1995 – Mikey Whipwreck defeats 2 Cold Scorpio to win the ECW Television and Tag Team Titles. Cactus Jack appoints himself as Whipwreck’s partner
1997 – on Nitro, Ultimo Dragon defeats Eddy Guerrero to win the WCW Cruiserweight Title. Also, Booker T defeats Disco Inferno to win the WCW Television Title
1998 – Luis Ortiz defeats Tre for the NWA New England Cruiserweight Title in Somerville, Massachusetts
1998 – on Thunder, Scott Steiner defeats Konnan to win the WCW Television Title
1998 – on Raw, Mankind defeats The Rock to win the WWF Title
Happy birthday to indy regulars B-Boy (35), & Wil Maximo (26), former WCW announcer Mark Madden (53) & current Raw ring announcer Justin Roberts (34)