This Day In Wrestling History- December 17th
1979- Hulk Hogan made his Madison Square Garden debut
In 1987, the WWF Slammy Awards Show was held in Atlantic City, New Jersey. This would be the final Slammy awards of their original run before they were resurrected in 1996.
– George Steele wins Best Performance by an Animal
– Miss Elizabeth wins Woman of the Year
– Harley Race wins Best Ring Apparel
– Rick Rude wins the Jesse ‘The Body’ Award
– Jim Duggan wins Greatest Hit and Best Vocal Performance
– One Man Gang wins Best Group
– Billy Graham was presented with the Hulk Hogan Real American Award
1994 – ECW held their “Holiday Hell” show at the ECW Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Here are the results:
– Stevie Richards defeated JT Smith.
– Dean Malenko defeated Ray Odyssey.
– Chris Benoit defeated Hack Myers.
– 911 defeated The Pitbulls in a Handicap match.
– Mikey Whipwreck defeated Don E. Allen.
– Tommy Dreamer & Cactus Jack defeated Tommy Cairo & The Sandman.
– ECW World Champion Shane Douglas defeated Ron Simmons.
– ECW World Tag Team Champions The Public Enemy defeated Sabu & Taz
In 1995, WWF In Your House 5: Seasons Beatings was held in Hershey, Pennsylvania
-Savio Vega pinned Bob Backlund in a dark match
– Razor Ramon and Marty Jannetty defeated The 1-2-3 Kid and Sycho Sid
– Ahmed Johnson pinned Buddy Landel (subbing for Dean Douglas) after the Pearl River Plunge. Prior to the match, Jerry Lawler presented Jeff Jarrett with a gold record for his country album, “Ain’t I Great?”. Jarrett was guest commentator for the match. After the match, Jarrett attacked Johnson with the gold record.
– Hunter Hearst Helmsley defeats Henry Godwinn in an Arkansas Hog Pen Match with Hillbilly Jim as special guest referee
– Owen Hart defeats Diesel by DQ
– The Undertaker defeats King Mabel in a Casket Match
– Bret Hart defeats The British Bulldog to retain the WWF Title
In dark matches after the broadcast:
– Goldust pinned Duke Droese.
– WWF Tag Team Champions The Smokin’ Gunns (Billy and Bart), Hakushi, and Barry Horowitz defeated The Bodydonnas (Skip and Zip), Yokozuna, and Isaac Yankem, DDS
In 2000, the final WCW Starrcade was held in Washington DC.
– Terry Funk defeats Crowbar to win the WCW Hardcore Title
– General Rection defeats Shane Douglas by DQ to retain the WCW United States Title
– The Insiders (Kevin Nash & Diamond Dallas Page) defeat The Perfect Event (Chuck Palumbo & Shawn Stasiak) to win the WCW Tag Team Titles
– Goldberg defeats Lex Luger in a No Holds Barred Match
– Scott Steiner defeats Sid Vicious to retain the WCW World Title
In 2006, WWE Armageddon was held in Richmond, Virginia. The event was billed as Smackdown-exclusive, though some Raw superstars did appear
– Paul London & Brian Kenrick defeat William Regal & Dave Taylor, MNM (Joey Mercury & Johnny Nitro) & The Hardys (Matt & Jeff) in a Ladder Match to retain the WWE Tag Team Titles
– Chris Benoit defeats Chavo Guerrero to retain the WWE United States Title
– Gregory Helms defeats Jimmy Wang Yang to retain the WWE Cruiserweight Title
– The Undertaker defeats Mr Kennedy in a Last Ride Match
– Batista & John Cena defeat Finlay & King Booker
1906 – Frank Gotch defeats Fred Beel in Kansas City, Missouri to win the American Heavyweight Title for the third time. Gotch would go on to defeat George Hackenschmidt two years later to unify the belt with the World Heavyweight Title
1968 – Fritz von Erich & Dan Miller defeat The Spoiler & Gary Hart to win the WCCW American Tag Team Titles
1970 – Kim III & Pak Song defeat Rufus R Rones & Gorgeous George Jr to win the vacant Texas Tag Team Titles
1978 – Bull Ramos & Tiger Conway Jr defeat Mark Lewin & Karl Krupp (subbing for The White Knight) to win the Texas Tag Team Titles
1977 – The Hollywood Blondes (Jack Evans and Larry Sharpe) defeat Carlos Colon and Victor Jovica for the WWC North American Tag Team Title in San Juan, Puerto Rico. At the same event, Jose Rivera and Invader I defeat The Samoans (Afa and Sika) for the WWC World Tag Team Title, and Joe Novak defeats Hercules Ayala for the WWC Caribbean Heavywight Title.
1979 – Bob Backlund defeats Bobby Duncum in a Texas Death Match to win the vacant WWF Title
1995 – Dr Wagner Jr defeats Atlantis to win the CMLL World Light Heavyweight Title
1999 – Masato Tanaka defeats Mike Awesome to win the ECW World Title
1999 – Team Extreme (Kit Carson & Khris Germany) defeat Murder Inc (Kevin Northcutt & Jimmy James) to win the NWA Tag Team Titles
2005 – Austin Aries & Roderick Strong defeat Sal Rinauro & Tony Mamaluke to win the ROH Tag Team Titles
Happy birthday to one-time World Tag Team Champion Nick ‘Eugene’ Dinsmore (37), UK indy star Lionheart (30) and one-time AJPW All Asia Tag Team Champion NOSAWA (36)