This Day In Wrestling History – December 9th
1995 – Kenta Kobashi & Mitsuharu Misawa win the All Japan World’s Strongest Tag Team League, defeating Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue in the ‘final’ after both teams finished on 16 points
2000 – Mike Rotundo & Steve Williams win the All Japan World’s Strongest Tag Team League, defeating Masanobu Fuchi & Toshiaki Kawada in the ‘final’ after a 4-way tie for first place (the ‘semi-finalists’ were Taiyo Kea & Johnny Smith and Mike Barton & Jim Steele)
2007 – Joe Doering & Keiji Mutoh win the All Japan World’s Strongest Tag Team League
1995 – ECW held their “December To Dismember” event at the ECW Arena in South Philadelphia, Pennsulvania. The show was headlined by an “Ultimate Jeopardy” cage match, but the big news out of the event was The Sandman winning the ECW World Heavyweight Title by defeating Steve Austin and Mikey Whipwreck in a Three Way Dance. Here are the results of the show:
– Dances With Dudleys & Dudley Dudley defeated The Bad Crew.
– Taz defeated El Puerto Ricano.
– Hack Myers defeated Bruiser Mastino.
– The Eliminators defeated The Pitbulls.
– Raven defeated Tommy Dreamer.
– JT Smith defeated Tony Stetson.
– The Sandman defeated ECW World Heavyweight Champion Mikey Whipwreck and Steve Austin in a Three Way Dance to win the title. Austin pinned Whipwreck to eliminate him first, then Sandman pinned Austin to win the title. This was Steve Austin’s second, and last, actual match in ECW (the previous month, he lost to Mikey Whipwreck in a singles match) although he did interviews for several more weeks of ECW before going to the WWF.
– Public Enemy defeated The Heavenly Bodies (Jimmy Del Rey & Tom Pritchard).
– In an Ultimate Jeopardy Steel Cage match, Public Enemy, The Pitbulls & Tommy Dreamer defeated The Heavenly Bodies, The Eliminators, Raven and Stevie Richards when Dreamer pinned Richards. As a result, Richards was locked in the cage with all of his opponents for five minutes.
2001, WWF Vengeance was held in San Diego, California
-Albert & Scotty 2 Hotty defeats Test & Christian
– Edge defeats William Regal to retain the WWF Intercontinental Title
– Jeff Hardy defeats Matt Hardy with Lita as special guest referee
– The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray & D-Von) defeat The Big Show & Kane to retain the WWF Tag Team Titles
– The Undertaker defeats Rob Van Dam to win the WWF Hardcore Title
– Trish Stratus defeats Jacqueline to retain the WWF Womens Title
-Steve Austin defeats Kurt Angle to retain the WWF World Title
-Chris Jericho defeats The Rock to capture the WCW World Title
– Chris Jericho defeats Steve Austin to win a 4-Man Tournament to unify the WWF Title and the World Heavyweight Title, becoming the first WWF Undisputed Champion
1974 – Jack Brisco defeats Giant Baba to win the NWA World Title
1976 – Paul Jones defeats Blackjack Mulligan to win the NWA Mid-Atlantic United States Title. This change is not recognized by current WWE Title Histories
1985 – The Grappler defeats Brian Adias to win the Texas Heavyweight Title. Also, Jack Victory defeats Dave Peterson to win the WCCW Television Title
1986 – Ron Garvin & Barry Windham defeat Krusher Kruschev & Ivan Koloff to win the NWA United States Tag Team Titles
1988 – Tatsumi Fujinami defeats Kerry von Erich by referee stoppage to win the WCCW World Heavyweight Title. Fujinami, unsatisfied with the result, would return the belt to von Erich the next day
1991 – Kamala defeats Jerry Lawler to win the vacant USWA Unified World Heavyweight Title
1995 – Tarzan Goto & Mr Gannosuke defeat Cactus Jack & Tiger Jeet Singh to win the vacant NWA Tag Team Titles
1995 – The Sandman defeats Mikey Whipwreck & Steve Austin in a 3-Way Dance to win the ECW World Title
1999 – on Thunder, Bret Hart & Goldberg defeat Creative Control (Gerald & Patrick) to win the WCW Tag Team Titles
2001 – Naomichi Marufuji defeats Tatsuhito Takaiwa to win the GHC Junior Heavyweight Title. Also, NO FEAR (Takao Omori & Yoshihiro Takayama) defeat Mitsuharu Misawa & Yoshinari Ogawa to win the GHC Tag Team Titles
2003 – Shinsuke Nakamura defeats Hiroyoshi Tenzan to win the IWGP Heavyweight Title
2010 – Angelina Love & Winter defeat Madison Rayne & Tara in the final of a tournament to win the vacant TNA Knockouts Tag Team Titles
Happy birthday to former WWE, TNA and IWGP World Champion Kurt Angle (44)
Also, today would have been the birthday of one-time NWA Tag Team Champion Steven Dunn (52)
On this day in 1990, the wrestling world lost pioneer era star Mike Mazurki at the ripe old age of 82. Mazurki is probably best remembered for his acting than his wrestling, appearing in such films as ‘Dick Tracy’, ‘Murder, My Sweet’ and ‘Around the World in 80 Days’. He also made guest appearances on several notable TV shows such as ‘I Dream of Jeannie’ and ‘The Munsters’. That said, he is notable in the wrestling world for one particular thing; the Cauliflower Alley Club. Mazurki was co-founder and the first president of the organization that lives on to this day, indeed, a picture of his cauliflower ear still serves as the logo of the organization.