This Day In Wrestling History – October 6th‏

Oct 6, 2013 - by Jamie Cruickshank


In 2007, ROH Undeniable was held in Edison, New Jersey

– Austin Aries defeats Roderick Strong
– The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark) defeat The No Remorse Corps (Davey Richards & Rocky Romero) to retain the ROH Tag Team Titles
– Nigel McGuinness defeats Takeshi Morishima to win the ROH World Title

Title Changes

1972 – Chris Colt & Bobby Duncum defeat The Flying Redheads (Red Bastien & Billy Red Lyons) to win the Texas Tag Team Titles

1998 – Tamon Honda & Jun Izumida defeat Wolf Hawkfield & Johnny Smith to win the AJPW All Asia Tag Team Titles


Happy birthday to former WWE talent Afa Jr (29), 3-time WWF Tag Team Champion Barry Darsow (54), the longest reigning WWWF Champion in history Bruno Sammartino (78) and TNA President Dixie Carter (49)

In Memoriam

On this day in 1999, the wrestling world lost WWE Hall of Famer Gorilla Monsoon at the age of 62. Despite weighing in at close to or over (sources differ) 300lbs, Monsoon was a standout athlete in his high school and college days, placing second in the 1959 NCAA Wrestling Championships and holding several track and field records at Ithaca College. After graduating from Ithaca, Monsoon was recruited by New York promoter Pedro Martinez and would go on to debut as ‘Gino Marella’. Despite gaining a degree of popularity, Monsoon saw that the fans were more receptive to outlandish gimmicks, so he reinvented himself as ‘Gorilla Monsoon’, a Manchurian wildman who ate raw meat and drank his victims’ blood. The character was hugely popular and within two years, he was headlining Madison Square Garden alongside Bruno Sammartino. In 1963, Monsoon won his first major title, teaming with Killer Kowalski to win the WWWF United States Tag Team Titles. By the end of the decade, they were two-time champions, having inflicted the only recorded defeat on the team of Bruno Sammartino and Victor Rivera. His career began to wind down in the 70’s and he eventually competed in his retirement match on August 23rd 1980 against Ken Patera. Monsoon returned to the ring on four occasions following the match, all as ‘one night only’ appearances. In 1982, Vince McMahon Jr bought out Monsoon’s share in the now-WWF in exchange for guaranteed lifetime employment. Monsoon became a powerful figure backstage whilst also leading the WWF’s television announce team. Monsoon would hold his announce position until 1993, when he stepped aside to make way for Jim Ross, though he could often be heard on WWF Radio and would appear on camera several times during 1994. He assumed the kayfabe position of WWF President in 1995 and would hold the position for two years until his health began to fail. His final on-camera appearance came as a judge in the Brawl For All Match at WrestleMania XV. He died of heart failure at his home in Willingboro, New Jersey with both WWF and WCW paying tribute to him on air. Additionally, in 2007, Anthony Carelli was given the ringname ‘Santino Marella’ as a tribute

(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply