Jerry Jarrett on TNA: “I’m amazed that they are in business”

In an interview with Inside The Ropes, Jerry Jarrett, the founder of TNA, said that Dixie Carter shouldn’t be focusing on former WWE wrestlers. Here are highlights:

On Dixie’s non-wrestling background and how that effects her running a wrestling company: “You’ve got to have an unabiding respect for the business or it’s impossible to be successful. When I was in the wrestling business, me and the wrestling business were intertwined. I ate it, slept it, dreamt it. The wrestling business was my mistress. Dixie saw her first match after she had ownership, I think and I know for a fact she has little regard for the tradition or the history of the business. So, if you don’t know what brought you to the dance, how are you supposed to learn from it and build on it. After all this years, it’s pretty obvious that I’m right. TNA today is as closed to being a non factor in the business as you can get.”

Thoughts on TNA’s focus on ex-WWE talents: “That’s one of the mistakes they made. They can’t seem to get past the fact that when you bring in guys that WWE has let go, fans are going to see them as yesterday’s soup. But of course you have to have someone who knows how to cultivate and create talent otherwise you have no choice but to use whoever’s available, thats named talent. It’s pretty obvious that they don’t have anybody that knows how to create talent. I’m guessing, because I haven’t seen the show in 2-3 years, but I’m sure there’s talent there that could be superstars. Truth, Ron Killings was in TNA and then you saw when he went to WWE how Vince made him into a superstar. In the wrestling business, it’s really not any secret, it’s understanding that if you’re making a movie. what are the ingredients you need? A compelling storyline, a great producer/director and great talent. You mix those ingredients and you get great cinema. But if you take this great star or talent and put him in a stinking movie with a stinking producer director, what do you get? and the wrestling business is a dance between the promoter or booker or writer and the talent. They have to be on the same page and they both have to be good.”

TNA’s future: “I am amazed, because when I was there, Bob Carter called me at least two to three times a week and said “I can’t lose any more money, Jerry” and I said “You’re needing to talk to your daughter, not to me. She’s running the place”So I’m amazed that they are in business. I think at this point, it’s afe to say that TNA will continue to be subsidized by Bob Carter until he dies. Then I think TNA will go the way of ECW and the territory days.”

Tags: , , , , ,

1. I 100% agree with Jerry.

2. Squirtle says:

First nash and now this
    Who’s next to say TNA is going to end up out of business?

3. MC Live says:

They have to take Dixie out of power. She just has no idea what she’s doing. She’s not running a wrestling company, she’s running a WWE rip off, and it shows

4. Kerry says:

He speaks the truth. If he and Jeff still had TNA, things would be a lot different.

5. Lockhart says:

He is %100 right, she needs to let someone with some wrestling knowledge run things. TNA has some great talent in and behind the scenes, people who have sacrificed to keep things running, but she just ignores them.

6. Deathedge says:

Because it was doing sooooo much better when he was running it.

Face it people, he sold it for a reason. TNA WOULD have died if he had not sold it.

7. Scott II says:

True Deathedge, but one can have money for only so long. I think what many are suggesting is that all the Carters should worry about is cutting the checks. Let people who know how to run a wrestling promotion work their magic though.

8. Nick A says:

TNA wouldn’t have lasted 3 months without Panda Energy and Dixie Carter. Jerry may be right in some things, but he’s also incredibly bitter about this situation.

9. ~J* says:

The only improvement I’ve seen from the Carter/Hogan/BIschoff era is the production value of the shows. The shows look better though I miss the TNA 6 sided ring, other than that everything must change.

10. Really? says:

@Kerry

Yeah, they’d have gone out of business in six weeks, like they were going to if Dixie hadn’t bought him out. They were 15 million dollars in debt in six weeks under Jerry Jarrett. The guy doesn’t understand this isn’t the territory days and you can’t still run things like it is.

11. Deathedge says:

@Scott II

That I can agree with. That’s pretty much what Ted Turner did when he bought out WCW, and it worked out pretty well for them, up until the very end of course but at that point Turner had very little say so in anything after the mergers with Time Warner and AOL.

12. Dragon says:

BRING BACK JERRY BRING BACK JERRY

TNA got really dumb when they hit it big with Hardy and a couple other old wwe talents. most other ex-wwe acquisitions fizzled quickly after joining.

TNA motto 2014 “TNA will work for food”

13. AJ Cooper says:

The fact of the matter is, Jerry Jarrett is a successful wrestling promoter, having run the Continental Wrestling Association (CWA) & its successor, the United States Wrestling Association (USWA), whereas the only thing Dixie Carter knows about wrestling is what she’s seen on TV. The fact that she even admits that she didn’t know much about wrestling until AFTER her daddy put her in charge says a LOT about her, as well as proving why her father’s company isn’t at the top of its industry. Robert Carter did a grave disservice to TNA by appointing his daughter as President, instead of going with someone who has a proven track record of being successful in promoting wrestling.

@Deathedge, @Nick A, @Really?

The ONLY reason Panda Energy had to buy out Jerry’s stake was because of the scandal with TNA’s original backer, HealthSouth Corporation. The fact is, if it hadn’t been for HealthSouth’s problems, we wouldn’t even be talking about the Carters or anything they’ve said, because they wouldn’t be in the picture.

@Really?

Well, at least Jerry has experience in promoting wrestling, unlike Robert Carter’s incompetent daughter of a “wrestling promoter”

14. Fisha695 says:

Jerry says “That’s one of the mistakes they made. They can’t seem to get past the fact that when you bring in guys that WWE has let go, fans are going to see them as yesterday’s soup.”

Yet if you look at the first TNA show and even the first few years of TNA (when Jerry still had some say in the company) it was 90%+ former WWE, WCW & ECW wrestlers and on-air talent. What Dixie is doing now as far as hiring other companies rejects is no different then what Jerry did 11 years ago and what anybody else in this industry that runs a major league wrestling promotion does. I mean as much as we all bitch about TNA hiring the latest WWE reject the fact of the matter is if we’d be running a wrestling promotion we’d be doing the same thing.

15. Adurka Durk says:

Ron Killings was in WWF before he went to TNA and before he went back to WWE.

K Kwik, people. Learn your history.

16. Adam says:

People can claim he’s bitter and that TNA would have died if they hadn’t been bought out, and some of that may be true. The thing is that none of that matters. What does matter is that a company that had a sense of direction, that had a sense of individuality, that was trying things to set itself apart is doing none of that and the company is suffering as a result. The blame for that lies with the person at the top of the company, who couldn’t be more disconnected from her own “brand” if she lived in an ice hut in Antarctica.

There’s a reason the term “silent backer” exists, and it needs to be put into play here.