8/2 WWE house show results from Shanghai, China
Credit: Paul Roth and Prowrestling.net
The show was far from sold out but had a decent sized crowd considering WWE is still not well know in China.
1. Zack Ryder defeated Antonio Cesaro and Heath Slater in a Triple Threat to earn a U.S. Championship match. The finish came after Slater was hit with a Cesaro’s Neutralizer. Ryder snuck inside the ring threw Cesaro over the ropes and then pinned Slater for the cheeky win.
2. Natalya defeated Aksana. The crowd was firmly behind Natalya, who made Askana tap to a popular Sharpshooter.
3. The Great Khali beat Jinder Mahal. A quick match, which the crowd found entertaining. The finish was a little weak with Mahal being pinned after a rubbery looking Chop to the head.
4. Dean Ambrose defeated Zack Ryder to retain the U.S. Title. Ryder actually got in a decent amount of offense, hitting a missile dropkick off the top rope and a stiff looking Broskiboot, but he was finally felled by Ambrose’s finisher.
5. Curtis Axel beat The Miz. The Miz was really over with the fans and was excellent and getting the crowd pumped. There were plenty of “Miz is awsome” chants. Axel defeated Miz with his feet on the ropes for the assisted pin.
6. Kane and Daniel Bryan beat Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns by DQ in a WWE Tag Team Championship match. The crowd got hotter as the night progressed and popped big for Daniel Bryan and Kane. There were plenty of “YES” chants. Bryan and Kane won via DQ after Ambrose interfered in the match. Kane received a huge pop throughout the match but Bryan was REALLY over. After the match, Kane and Bryan stood around applauding the crowd. Despite the language barrier, most of the crowd were able to chant along to most superstars catchphrases.
7. John Cena defeated Ryback to retain the WWE Championship. Both superstars received huge pops with the Chinese audience being pretty excited to see WWE wrestlers in the flesh. Cena began the match by addressing the Chinese fans in Mandarin. He thanked them and called Ryback stupid “wo jue de Ryback bu cong ming.” I’ve studied Chinese for a few years and know how difficult it is so I must say I was really impressed by Cena’s Chinese speaking ability. It was a good contest with Ryback showing intensity and aggression. The finish came after Cena reversed a Shellshocked into an AA for the 1-2-3.
Finally Cena addressed the crowd, this time in English, thanking them for coming and saying how important China is to the WWE. He even mentioned that he is learning Chinese so he can come back again.
Overall, a very entertaining show that seemed to go down well with the Chinese audience.