Wrestling By The Numbers: Matt Morgan
TNA Wrestling has announced the release of former 2-Time TNA Tag-Team Champion Matt Morgan. The 36-year-old Fairfield Connecticut native spent the past 6-years with the organization and was a number one contender numerous times having main evented multiple shows throughout his tenure. Morgan debuted in 2006 as Jim Cornette’s bodyguard and then went on to have feuds with the likes of Scott Steiner, Abyss, Hernandez and Crimson among others. He was also involved in storylines with both The Main Event Mafia and Ric Flair’s Fortune and while working for the company also appeared on American Gladiators as Beast. This is the second time Morgan has parted ways with TNA as his contract expired in June of 2012 and at the time he teased going to World Wrestling Entertainment for a few months before resigning with TNA. The official announcement of his release was made back on July 9th after he had made the request to management a month prior.
Matt Morgan is an 11-year professional wrestling veteran who first made his debut back in 2002 after having been trained by Al Snow & Hardcore Holly. Prior to entering the squared circle Morgan was a standout high school and college basketball player who played for Monmouth University at the 1996 NCAA Tournament. After his college career he had tryouts with both the Indiana Pacers and Toronto Raptors but wasn’t offered a contract. Matt Morgan signed with the WWE in 2002 after having appeared on WWE Tough Enough II as a contestant and later being signed to a developmental contract. He spent a year in Ohio Valley Wrestling and debuted on Smackdown in 2003 as apart of Paul Heyman’s Team Lesnar group. When the faction fell apart in early 2004 Morgan returned for another year of seasoning in OVW before returning to the WWE in 2005 with a stuttering giant persona. The WWE released Morgan in July of 2005 and he spent the next year competing for New Japan Pro Wrestling, All Japan Pro Wrestling, HUSTLE and NWE Wrestling before joining TNA.
Below we look at the televised professional wrestling career of Matt Morgan by the numbers…
* 41 Matches on TNA Pay-Per-View.
* 5 Main Event Matches on TNA Pay-Per-View.
* 1 Event As A Commentator on TNA Pay-Per-View.
* 110 Matches ( 15th Most All-Time ) on TNA Impact Wrestling. (First Match: May 8th 2008 Vs Kip James Last Match: June 13th 2013 Vs Magnus, Rob Terry & Kenny King)
* 25 Main Event Matches on TNA Impact Wrestling.
World Wrestling Entertainment:
* 2 Matches on WWE Pay-Per-View.
* 1 Main Event Match on WWE Pay-Per-View.
* 1 Match Managed on WWE Pay-Per-View.
* 14 Matches on WWE Smackdown.
* 4 Main Event Matches on WWE Smackdown.
* 3 Matches on WWE Velocity.
New Japan Pro Wrestling:
* 1 Match on NJPW Pay-Per-View.
* 5 Matches on NJPW Toukon Series 2005.
* 4 Matches on NJPW Final Battle 2005.
All Japan Pro Wrestling:
* 2 Matches on AJPW Hold Out Tour 2006.
* 4 Matches on AJPW Champion Carnival 2006.
* 12 Matches on HUSTLE Pay-Per-View.
* 5 Main Events Match on HUSTLE Pay-Per-View.
* 1 Match on HUSTLE On Samurai Tv.
* 1 Main Event Match on HUSTLE On Samurai Tv.