Nancy Benoit’s sister: My sister’s death was a direct result of “roid rage”

Sandra Toffoloni, the sister of the late Nancy Benoit, did an interview sharing her thoughts on what happened six years resulting in three deaths – Chris Benoit, Nancy Benoit, and her seven year old nephew Daniel. Here are a few excerpts from interview.

* On her relationship with Chris Benoit: We bonded instantly, which wasn’t easy with Christopher. I don’t know if it is the difference of being Canadian… or that almost all he knew in life was wrestling; but when we would talk, as young as I was, it was like student and teacher. Books he should get, bands he would love, movies and TV that were a must watch! It was crazy how much of the same things we liked and enjoyed! We got along instantly like peas and carrots. The fact that he loved my sister SO desperately was the first thing, obviously, that we had in common.

* Regarding her nephew’s health: Daniel did not have Fragile X. I have his medical records. He was NOT sick.

* On Benoit’s religious beliefs: Although my sister and I were raised strictly Catholic, Chris did not subscribe to any one particular religion. He developed an interest in Eastern religion and philosophy while wrestling in Japan.

* Regarding possibilities of Benoit leaving WWE after Eddy Guerrero’s death: After Eddie passed away, Chris and Nancy discussed the possibility of Chris leaving the WWE and starting his own wrestling school. As a matter of fact, it had become more than a possibility. A business plan had been developed and merchandise had been designed. However, the WWE was prepared to give Chris a big push and put him into another championship match so Chris began training harder and pushing his body further

* On “roid rage”: First of all, at that time, the wellness policy program was ineffective. I’d like to think that it’s changed but I’m not sure it has. Everyone joked about it. There was no way Chris could have tested clean unless the sample wasn’t his. It is my understanding that “roid rage” typically does not last an entire weekend. It is my belief although I was not there that he and Nancy got into a terrible argument that escalated to the point of serious violence. In spite of what the public has heard following the autopsy reports, let me tell you that my sister was brutalized. My sister’s death was a direct result of “roid rage.”

* Benoit’s relationship with his father: Mike painted this picture of them being so close to Chris, but they weren’t in the decade I knew him.

* Benoit’s legacy: A lot of people would expect me to be hateful and spiteful to Chris and his legacy but the Chris I want to remember is the brother-in-law I knew up until the year before all this happened. Unfortunately, I don’t have any contact with David and Megan, Chris’ children, but they too have to be considered. It must be a huge burden for them to carry the Benoit last name in Canada. I love them and miss them very much.

Tags:

1. Jake Allen says:

It’s nice to hear some positive comments about Benoit after all this time. What happened was tragic, and I get people being upset about it. But since day one of the report of the murders I decided to remember Chris for the 20 year wrestler and not the two day murderer.

I hope one day in the distant future his greatness and his tragic fall can be opened up to the world as a lesson for future generations to learn from and avoid.

2. Vegeta says:

i am glad someone finally agrees with what i’ve been saying since day one of the incident,ppl should remember what he did for the business not just focus on the incident!!

3. StunningSteve says:

Wow. She is a stronger person than most could be. You can tell she loved Chris Benoit almost as much as she loved her sister. Steroids can change people regardless of what they think. If a person already has a temper then it can escalate them towards violence. I think it is hard to reconcile that a person you loved commited such horrible acts. I don’t think there is any easy way to reconcile it. What she says is similar to what Jericho said in his book, that the person he knew wasn’t the same person who killed his wife and child and then himself. On a side note, I buy her theory. It is possible that after he accidentally killed Nancy he saw no other way out and some how believed his family would be reunited in death. I don’t think that is a huge stretch.

4. Dragon says:

@ Jake

couldnt say it better myself. I came into this article expecting more benoit backlash. Hearing positive about benoit now a days seems taboo which is sad.

I am surprised that no mention of the severe deterioration of his brain due to head injuries. While i dont agree with roid use the fact is many many athletes in all sports use roids and dont go down benoits tragic path. while the roids may have fueled the attack his brains inability to think properly had fault as well.

Either way it was so nice to hear family show chris in a positive light which is what his life was for every day of his life and not simply focus on one sad tragic weekend

5. divo says:

Are you kidding me? Just because he wrestled for 20 years he doesn’t need to be labeled the pathetic child and wife murdering scumbag he really is? You people are hypocritical you banish and trash non celebs for murders but Chris benoit is an “almighty wrestler’ you people disgust me. It is not ok to turn the other cheek to a child murderer and someone who strangled his wife. What a sad world we live in.

6. Adurka Durk says:

Divo just owned you losers, lol

“ADURRRR TWENTY YEAR WRASSLER, NOT A 2 DAY MURDERERRRRR”

7. Tyler says:

He was a troubled guy who just lost his best friend, used steroids, and took an unusual amount of brain trauma for a person. He snapped. If it was just roid rage, how’d Hogan manage to not off his family? If it were brain trauma, why is Mick Foley writing children’s books? Sane people don’t kill their families suddenly and the perfect storm occurred for a troubled person to go over the edge. I do respect this woman’s integrity for taking the high road in this situation though.

8. StunningSteve says:

@divo: I certainly am not defending him or excusing him. The reason I say she is stronger than most is because she is able to seemingly forgive him. I simply never could. I can’t watch Benoit’s stuff anymore personally. I thin about him killing his little boy when I see him applying wrestling holds. It was very sick. Some people can’t accept that their wrestling “hero” became a cold blooded murderer. The fact that he beat his wife makes him useless in my eyes. But it is important people realize that steroids and brain injuries were a factor. Not because it excuses him but so that people can avoid the same path. He has to be violent to begin with in order to allow these things to come out. I think it is hard for people like Nancy’s sister and Jericho to accept that someone they cares about did this. I think it is the same thing relatives of other killers go through. I just can’t even imagine forgiving someone I trusted who did this to a family member. That is why I say it is clear she loved Chris Benoit like family, too.

9. StunningSteve says: