Daily Discussion: Your all time favorite color commentator

Today’s topic: Who is your all time favorite wrestling color commentator?

Yesterday’s discussion – Make dream WWE vs. TNA card

Feel free to suggest a daily discussion topic at betweentheropes@hotmail.com

Tags: , ,

1. Guled says:

Hands down: JR

2. MC Live says:

JR my favorite commentator, but hes play by play. If it’s the color guy only the Bobby Heenan. Jerry Lawler was great till about 08. When he lost JR, he changed for the worse

3. WhatIDo says:

Taz was my favorite until he went to TNA. He has no chemistry with Mike Tenay. I know it is not a popular choice, but I’ve always enjoyed Matt Strikers ramblings.

4. The Wrestling GAAAAWWWWWWD says:

JBL

5. ~J* says:

bobby heenan best color commentary guy ever, hilarious!!!!!

6. ak91 says:

Jesse The Body Ventura, for sure, very fair but trying to favour the heels

7. RJ Ace says:

JBL or Bobby Heenan. Jerry Lawler was good at one point but he sucks as a face commentator.

8. RJ Ace says:

CM Punk was hilarious on commentary for a few months back in 2010. He definitely has a future in commentating if he ever chooses to pursue it after his wrestling career is over. Kevin Nash would also be good as would Raven or Scott Hall if they could stay clean.

9. Mr. Black says:

Joey Styles HANDS DOWN.

10. Gazz says:

For me, in order, Bobby Heenan, JBL, Jerry Lawler

11. Jimmypink says:

jesee Ventura

12. Jess says:

Jim Ross or Gordon solie

13. Simba says:

Lawler was good until about 2004, he’s been stale and lazy ever since… Taz was/is dire… I’m thinking 2006/2007 JBL, he was so fresh and interesting at the time.

14. Kid Vicious says:

I have to go with Jesse Ventura. Some of his exchanges with Gorilla were just fantastic.

15. fairfax says:

The weasel was the greatest of all time. Hands down. Jesse Ventura was a close second. I always liked the team of Hennig, McMahon and Piper although I wish Piper would have worked heel behind the mic. Dusty Rhodes had some funny moments alongside JR in the early 90’s WCW. Find and watch WCW WrestleWar from 91 and especially the womens tag to hear Dusty at his finest.
    Surprised no one mentioned Paul E. Was great in WCW and the fed. Jim Cornette and Dave Meltzer did commentary on some classic SMW footage and some old Texas and Southwest territories. I always liked hearing the two of them together.

Some of the worst on the flipside would be Bruno Sammartino. Superstar Billy Graham. Terry Funk and although I may get heat Lord Alfred Hayes. Of coarse those four guys are four of the greatest of all time IN THE RING but couldnt seem to get things together behind the mic.

Honorable mention goea to Terry Taylor and Don West. Terry did a short stint in Tito Santana’s AWF. And Don West was a true student of the game and towards the end when he was working heel it was absolutely great. I’ll take DW over Taz any day of the week.

Oh and Aaron McGuire from PRIME/Pro Wrestling Ohio is really really funny too. He for sure studied at the Bobby Heenan school of broadcast journalism!

16. Big Sexy says:

Bobby Heenan, hands down. Jesse Ventura is a solid second.

17. jake says:

Color? Bobby. No contest. I put old ppvs on to this day even just as background noise, not to watch the matches but to merely hear bobby. His humor was as good as any comedian and his chemistry with gorilla was dare I say better than jr/king. He is missed.

But play by play goes to jr.

18. Nick Walters says:

@jess… JR and solie weren’t even color commentators

19. Zachery Badman says:

The Brain and The Body are tired for the best color commentary with the King in the attitude era very close.

20. Kid Vicious says:

@Fairfax. Superstar BIlly Graham as the worst? Great shout there. For a man who had so much charisma as a wrestler he had lost it by the time he sat in the commentary booth… “He’s in great shape my brother. Brother, he’s been training hard brother. Brother you’ve got to understand that that brother is my brother, brother.”

21. Chris James says:

Jr. None better than King and Jr during Monday Night’s.

22. Manny says:

Lita and Coach on Sunday Night Heat

23. matt says:

The Brain!!

24. Shane says:

Heenan. There’s no other answer imho

25. Beacon of Hope says:

Jesse “The Body” Ventura. Still chuckle over him always saying “Gorilla Monsoon”