Daily Discussion: Best decade in wrestling history

daily discussion

Today’s topic: Which was the best decade in wrestling? The 80s? The 90s?

Yesterday’s discussion – When you became a wrestling fan

Feel free to suggest a daily discussion topic at betweentheropes@hotmail.com

Tags:

1. RJ Ace says:

I’m biased because I was born in 1987 so I think the late 90’s was the greatest era in pro wrestling history. The 2 best storylines ever done in my opinion were the NWO and McMahon vs Austin and they were both during the same time frame. The Monday Night Wars was at its peak, wrestlers were becoming household names and there was such an incredible buzz around the industry. Not only were there 2 legitimate national promotions, ECW was there to offer a real 3rd alternative and were arguably a national promotion themselves…Their first ppv got over 100,000 buys which is something TNA has still yet to achieve. I’ve gone back and watched documentaries on the 80’s in wrestling but unfortunately, only WWE controls what’s shown in wrestling history because they won the war. The only thing in the 80’s that I feel even came close to the great storylines on the Monday Night Wars and Atiitude Era was the Four Horsemen. I just think the WWF product during that time was a cartoonish mockery and a joke despite their mainstream success.

2. Guled says:

The late 90s. It had the Attiude Era which really shook things up for wrestling.

3. darko22582 says:

Attitude and Monday night wars was great but world class championship wrestling had some great wars in the 80’s

4. Chewie215 says:

Late 90s goldberg wwe HOF soon

5. king says:

You guys are aware it says best decade not era? Anyway I’ll have to go with the 90s.

6. Gazz says:

The mid 90’s (95 – 99) for me has to be the best period, not necessarily because of the birth of the attitude era, but because its showed that even after losing names like Hogan, Savage, Warrior, etc. WWE was able to pick themselves up and not only create new stars out of those already on the roster, but they were able to create household names from those on the roster (Hart, Michaels, Austin, Rock to name but a few) that could equal, if not surpass the individual legacy’s of those who came through in the 80’s.

7. Big Travis says:

88-98

8. Simba says:

The 90s. It started well, then sagged, and then recovered to create the greatest era of all time (for me, at least).

9. Zach says:

90s in my opinion, unless I can be specific, 91-01.

10. Josh Dionio says:

Gotta say, 92-02 was good. You had the rise of ECW, the blending of shoots and work storylines, the Monday Night Wars, NWO, Austin 3:16, Hell in a Cell, the Screwjob heard around the world, D-X, Goldberg, the Rock, and the truest once in a lifetime match: Hulk Hogan vs. The Rock at WM 18.

11. Scott II says:

80’s by far. Yeah, the 90’s had the Monday Night Wars and the Attitude Era, but it also had WCW when it couldn’t get out of it’s own way, and the WWF at it’s worst (at the time), with New Generation Era

12. Shockmaster Suplex says:

1990s

13. jimmypink says:

Well Ive been fan since 1977, the 80s were great. The WWF put wrestling in spotlight. Good wrestling areas like AWA, UWF, World Class and of course NWA. But to be honest nothing compares to the 90s. NWO, Monday night wars, ECW, Attitude Era, wow good times. Believe me wrestling will be back!!!

14. MC Live says:

90’s. Austin, NWO, Attitude Era, Monday Night Wars, and ECW. Nuff said. Specifically, ’92-’02 but in general the 90’s