Daily Discussion: When you became a wrestling fan

daily discussion

Today’s topic: At what age did you become a wrestling fan?

Yesterday’s discussion – Pick a wrestling trainer

Feel free to suggest a daily discussion topic at betweentheropes@hotmail.com

Tags:

1. Shockmaster Suplex says:

1986. Macho Man Randy Savage vs. Ricky the Dragon Steamboat, when macho went top rope and damaged steamboat’s throat on the barricade. I also remember NWA when Jim Cornette ran in and set Ronnie Garvin on fire, and I thought it was real, I was in Grade 3 at the time.

2. DBRude says:

I was a little kid; don’t remember how old. My late grandmother took me to a get-together at one of her friends houses, and I saw this old dude sitting in a recliner, flipping through the channels. For a second, he stopped on a match between Hulk Hogan and Big John Studd, I think it was.
    He wound up changing the channel, but I kept thinking about what I saw, even after we left. At home, I would flip through the channels, looking for something similar to what I saw at that guy’s house, until I discovered the WWF. After that, I would watch ANYTHING wrestling-related: WCW, ECW, USWA, GWF, WEW… as long as it showed up on my television.

Sadly, I’m starting to get bored with wrestling.

3. WM says:

I was about 8 or 9 when I saw Mad Dog Vachon take on Reggie Parks literally in my back yard or maybe a hald block down. Shortly thereafter I saw Stan Pulaski and then I became a hard core women’s fan, obsessive even when I saw Betty Niccoli vs. Jean Antone. All compliments of Joe Dusek’s AWA Omaha promotion.

4. danny says:

As a five year old I thought Randy savage was going to die when Jake Roberts cobra bit him. I was crying.

5. Big Travis says:

2 or 3 year old watching Saturday morning wrestling with my father. The horseman, road warriors, Dusty, Rock N Roll and Midnight Express. The glory days. I wasn’t until a couple years later until I discovered the WWF, I think I had the wrestling buddies and toys before I ever saw a WWF match. Greenville, SC was NWA Mid south WCW country.

6. Adam says:

i was 6, the 1998 rock-mankind feud. couldnt figure out who i liked (or hated) more

7. Jamie says:

I don’t remember how old I was exactly, but as a channel hopping kid, I saw Jericho hitting a Lionsault….hooked!

8. Montez says:

I was about 8 years old. In late 1995, was when I started watching. I remember channel surfing on a monday night and saw shawn micheals facing someone. Then when i got hooked, was the match between shawn and owen on raw in november of 95, when he kicked shawn in the head and then he passed out. I remember being very concered, i thought his career was done after that. Those were some good times as a kid, i miss those days, lol.. Even though the wrestling community loved to bash wwf 95 and 96 smh..

9. (A) Mark says:

5 years old. 1998.

10. Bighurt89 says:

98′ saw my first match ever on t.v alas a ppv. judgement day Kane vs undertaker infernal match. hooked on it ever since.

11. Bighurt89 says:

8 yrs old at the time

12. fairfax says:

I’m late to the question but what a fun topic. I remember getting thumb wrestlers on my fifth birthday and I also, vividly, remember my mother saying “Oh Lord, please dont start liking that Big Time Wrestling!!!” She was safe for a few short years, that is until the datardly Million Dollar Man bought the WWF Heavyweight Championship. I really remember that and I remember watching Ricky Steamboat wrestle Ric Flair and win thee WORLDS HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP! I was hooked. I can remember going to high school I’m the late 90’s and watching my childhood friends come back to wrestling during the Monday Night Wars. What a great time to be a fan. Then rap music became popular and video games and a million other things. Despite all those other things that kids where into at the time wrestling never wained for me. I only got deeper in, becoming involved with my local indy promotions. Books, magazines, old vhs tapes, old 50s & 60s memorobelia. It’s never ending!

13. ManWWFdayz says:

When i saw The Rock, Austin, Taker and Kane around 98-99 along with the Hardy Boyz doing crazy flips.

14. ManWWFdayz says:

I then did some crazy flips onto my couch from the armchair while commentating it.

15. lll says:

The first episode of Smackdown. I haven’t heard of wrestling before then. When Chris Jericho was chasing Ryan Shamrock (I hope that’s correct) outside into the limo, I laughed so hard I couldn’t breathe. A wrestling fan was born.