Daily Discussion: Curtis Axel

(photo credit: WWE)

Today’s topic: Will Joe Hennig finally get over as Curtis Axel? Or should have WWE simply let him use the Hennig name?

Yesterday’s discussion – The TNA Championship

Feel free to suggest a daily discussion topic at betweentheropes@hotmail.com

Tags: ,

1. gerry says:

I dont think the name matters..I mean ted dibiase got to keep his real name and look far thats gotten him..curtis is a great talent and with paul heyman as his mouthpiece he will be just fine

2. WhatIDo says:

Curtis is a great talent based on what? We haven’t seen anything from him yet.

3. rhbd says:

I like the direction of it, i think this is going to be a break or make push on him. Heyman is the right mouthpiece for Axel since well hes not much of a talker

4. Later Marks says:

He’s with the right guy to get him over. He is a fantastic wrestler, and he isn’t bad on the mic either, just really hasn’t gotten the chance to talk much since the original NXT. Been waiting years for him to finally get his chance.

5. Dragon says:

Anyone remember ROCKY MAVIA? I can only hope the name gets changed. Its a nice thought using his lineage to create his name but It just doesn’t roll off the tongue comfortably. What really matters is his in ring ability which with endorsements by both HHH and the Rock should be great if booked properly.

6. Fisha695 says:

I like the fact that they acknowledged his real history which makes it easy for him to transfer to the Hennig name when he eventually turns face.

Then again all this could fall flat on it’s face & the audience could not buy into him at all nomatter how talented he is.

7. Eoin says:

I hate the name Curtis Axel, Curtis?? But I guess Curt Axel is too close to Kurt Angle. Why didn’t they go Axel Curtis even?
    I always get interested in WWE again when then try this elevation of a talent, but how can we watch him lose to Ryder et al on Superstars, and then main event RAW within a month?
    I do LOVE the Mr Perfect mix in his theme music though!

8. Mackdeezy says:

@gerry the thing about dibiase is that once he gets going he gets injured. The same with brett dibiase. Its odd but thats whats been happening.

9. Legend_Killer says:

Curt Henning Jr. could be a great name to fit him with his family. The perfect gimmick would put him over.

10. JDBJJ says:

@WhatIDo you do realize that he’s been competing as Michael McGuillicutty right? People have seen his work, that’s where people base it off when they say he’s a great talent. Monday wasn’t his company debut they just repackaged him

11. Nick says:

Am I the only one who is pretty mad about him getting this push? They have given him mini pushes to see if he could handle it in the past and it didnt work. The crowd doesnt get into him and hes rocky at best on the mic. Just think of all the other guys that really needed this push. I dont think you should get a push just because of your name, honestly i think he will just turn out like Ted Dibiase jr. I love Heyman as a manager(he is my favorite since paul bearer) but come on now.

12. Micheal says:

I wish him better luck on this push. Like others said, Paul is the perfect mouthpiece.

13. MC Live says:

He’s a great talent. And even though they flubbed his “debut” with that horrible booking Monday night, he’s got a shot at getting over, especially with Heyman. If they book him right, he can be big. Personally I would have made him Joe Hennig from the beginning, but I think Curtis Axel still has a chance to make an impact

14. Big Travis says:

I do not like the name. I like that they are pulling from his history but the name sounds like a 5 year old chose it. Call him The Ax. How about Curtis The Ax Henning. His real middle name is Curtis

15. jake says:

Just bc they’re 2nd or 3rd genn doesn’t aways mean they have “it”. And im really tired of the biz pushing or signing guys just bc they’re such and such’s kid. Hbk and rvds dads weren’t in the biz. Neither was austins. Its about passion. Not a last name. Will hennig 3.0 have it? Who knows, time will tell. But heyman as a mouthpeice can’t hurt. Speaking of managers, why is flair not managing ziggler or somebody??

16. Shane says:

Decent, though pretty vanilla in the ring. AWFUL on the mic. ZERO charisma. Honestly, I can’t stand this dude. I know he seems to have alot of fans these days but I have always found him to be unwatchable. Probably one of my least favorite wrestlers on the entire roster.

17. Zachery Badman says:

Good I’m happy he is finally getting a push he should’ve had one when he was on NXT season2 and plus he should’ve season2 anyway he should use Curt not Curtis though

18. Max says:

Should have given another superstar a chance. He will be stuck in mid card forever after this push.

19. Kerry says:

I don’t like the name Curtis Axel, the powers that be should let him be who he is – Joe Hennig. I’m not sure I like the idea of using a remixed version of Mr. Perfect’s entrance music, that will make people think of his dad instead of him. Right now, the only thing I see going for him is being paired with Paul Heyman.

20. ~J* says:

the name is bland but its better than the previous name, that hhh match did not showcase who joe is again it was all about “the game” so we’ll have to wait and see…glad heyman is involved tho.

21. Guled says:

I like the fact that his song could be over than himself

22. eddie says:

First of no one has heard of curtis axel the name is brand new ever would know his, by joe henning or Micheal mccguilicuty. And from what I have seen from when he was on nxt he does have talent. So people don’t judge by the name not everyone can haves a prefect name.

23. Geoff says:

Joe Hennig would have suited him best. Curtis Axel would work too but will take some time. Michael McGillicutty is never gonna work in a million years.

24. chris c. says:

they wont let him use his given name because they can’t trademark it. Joe Perfect would have been ideal though…

25. Paul says:

Let’s see…Guy gets talked over and ignored, slapped down on his ass, where he stayed for awhile, and gets little offense in a main event match on Raw. It’s like they set him up to fail, really.

I dig the third generation aspect, but his work hasn’t really stood out to me thus far. They could have changed that last night, but they chose not to. Heyman is the only thing going for him, really, and I don’t know if that’s enough to save him from being future endeavored. Next week will tell for sure.