CM Punk says The Undertaker is not his dream opponent, feels “handcuffed” at WrestleMania

IGN.com posted an interview with CM Punk. Here he is asked if The Undertaker is his dream opponent:

“You know, probably not,” Punk revealed. “To be honest. I mean, I probably would have said, hell, at this point, John Cena. You know what I mean? Or, of course, Stone Cold Steve Austin. He’s always been my answer to that question over the last two years.”

“I don’t know what anybody else expects from this match given [Undertaker's] year away from the ring and possibly his physical condition. Or the fact that I don’t have a Hell in a Cell or all these different kinds of stipulations, like No Disqualification, to work with. But I like it when they handcuff me.”

Click here to read more

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Motorhead says:

wtf?! Hope Punk was shooting kayfabe. Otherwise this is pretty disrespectful and rude. there is no bigger match in wrestling in the last 10 years than to be taker’s dance partner at the biggest dance in wrestling. it’s an honor to be thought of much less selected. starting with the dvd there is something about punk i just don’t like from a human level; he has a deep sense of entitlement and chip the size of mars on his shoulder. he needs to grow up. can’t exactly put my finger on it, but there is something about the man himself i just don’t like. he’s seems a cross between hbk & bret hart, and not in a positive way.

2. -J- says:

Taker will shut his mouth for him.

3. Jau says:

CM Punk is just an arrogant, overrated, piece of ****.

4. Julio says:

As disrespectful this is to taker, punk has a point. He has to settle wrestling an old broken down wrestler who wasn’t even a 100% sure about competing at wrestlemania until old school raw. I love taker and everything he has done for the business but he’s 47 going on 48! He can’t do old school rope move, he won’t do the suicide dive outside the ring, when was the last time he did the last ride? I’m sure Punk is speaking his mind cause he feels he should be in the main event and not dwayne the part timer.

5. Mike Rophone says:

Punk is the best in the world at not filling his trunks out.

6. Troy L says:

What an ungratefull A**hole!!!! He’s lucky he even gets that match!

7. Swayze says:

Oh no, Punk said that the Undertaker isn’t his absolute dream opponent, he must be the devil and a jackass!

8. StunningSteve says:

I am failing to understand what Punk said that was so wrong. His point is that he would rather be in the title match or fight Stone Cold, which he has always said. He didn’t say The Undertaker sucked. He made a valid point about his time away from the ring. I would be concerned about what Taker ewill be like in the ring. He does not look ring ready or in wrestling shape. Hopefully, he will be by Wrestlemania but Punk is being honest on that. His point about the lack of stipulation is that there is no fall back, the wrestling has to make the match stand out. I think it will be a great match regardless. I am actually a big Undertaker fan, ever since I was a kid. I once saw him and Eddie Guerrero tear the house down in the second to last match at a HOUSE SHOW. He literally did all the big spots including the dive to the floor. It was once of the best matches I have seen, including the hundreds I have seen on PPV. If he gets in shape this match has the potential to be an all time great like his Shawn Michaels matches. The funny part that night was Batista and JBL had to go on after that and boy did that take the wind out of the crowd.

9. Denis says:

Folks all he said was Undertaker wasn’t his dream opponent! Calm down

10. tk says:

Despite what people say about the undertaker Health..I feel over the years there is just this unwritten code between the boys and fans..Just dont go there on health Lets face he has the right to be at WM once a year to wrestle hes earned it. People with his health wheel it with taker like a kid who found there dads gun under the pillow. You cant knock the guy for the things hes done in the business…Not leaving the company being a main event guy for over 20 years putting over guys making new stars. How i would of love to been a fly on the wall when bish was trying to get him to come to wcw the phone calls im sure were good. But the bottom line is i agree with motorhead it mite be kayfabe.

Being a wrestler i wouldnt think punk would say that knowing taker is a wrestler as well on that level of being tough working hurt beat up and still going out there.If it is true thats low class to a man who has seen it all done it all in a sense Beaten them all. And maybe thats why people say here it does not look like punk into this or his heart is into it or he does not care about his match. Even though the story is on a sliver platter for him. And you can see it on the screen it is just not there with him. I do hope in the end it is kayfabe but if not…maybe jao is troy here are right over rated and down rite disrespetful to maybe just maybe the best of all time

11. dooman says:

hes right he deserves a title match and plenty others could have taken undertaker

12. Fisha695 says:

I’m not trying to be a smark or anything but I honestly don’t get the “aura” of the streak. The first few years he won because he was being pushed as this mythical monster, then after that for a year or two he won because he was legit in the main event, but then from say win #7 or #8 on he’s simply been booked to win because somebody (probaly the Fink) said “oh hey look we haven’t had him lose at WM yet so let’s just have everybody Job to him from here on out”.

Taker is old & can’t even carry 50% of a match by himself anymore and with this match nothing having any sort of stipulation (that I’ve seen listed anywhere) it’s basically going to be Punk jobbing to Taker in what will be a rather lackluster ‘Filler Match’.

And yes I’m certain that Punk isn’t going to “end the streak” because the person that ends the streak will have a year long feud with Taker (including a RAW & non-WM PPV match both of which Taker will win) before it happens.

13. tk says:

Fisha i can answer that or part of that ?. As far as the streak goes i was at axxess last year and asked paul the question and no has to believe me on this. But paul when did it click with you vince or pat or taker the office that the undertaker has a streak going here at wrestlemania? He said to me he was not part of the conservation but it was brought up to vince during Wrestlemania X to start bringing it up by WM 11. And vince said well lets just let him run with that. It was that simple.

I then went to JR and asked him the same ? and he tod me the exact same thing.WM 11 is when they were going start it. True or false who knows fact or ficton but the point is the streak is the streak and its different than any other thing any superstar has not the rock bret shawn or hogan austin.And that what makes the situation different because of who has it.Granted it feels waterted down when taker does not have a good match someone has to threaten it make you feel like THIS IS IT ITS GOING TO END. and only a few guys on that entire list have done that. I agee that punk does not make me feel that But lets see the match and see what happens

And to be honest i feel the streak will go to WM 30 and at 30 it will be time to go home to Death Valley. The Bid for king and country is done.

14. Science & Violence says:

Punk is right, the Over-rated lanky ginger isn’t anything special.

15. VicVenom says:

…and Gerweck.net Marks out.

it’s cool, Phil Brooks and Mark Calloway are friends.

16. What? says:

It was hugely disrespectful if it wasn’t “in character,” but look at it from his side. Being matched up with the Undertaker is the only guaranteed loss at Wrestlemania.

17. Craptacular says:

I am 100% with Punk. I mean the Rock was out of action for a long time and he gave us one of the most fake wrestling matches with Cena last year (at least this year he had two matches with the Best In the World to be warm-up). This year is the same with the Undertaker (a man who must be retired for good if he’s not in good shape in order to not lose his legendary character), so it is a waste of time for a man who can perform the best wrestling match whenever he wants, wherever he wants.

In fact “they” HANDCUFF him.

18. joe says:

LOL @ some of you dummies/Punk fanboys/ROHbots on here. I’m sure Mark Calaway is thrilled about having to work with Punk. Pretty sure his attitude is “show up, do my shtick, collect big paycheck, then go back to buying up commercial property till next year.”

19. Andy says:

Kayfabe lives!!!

20. TheWholeEffinShow says:

Im Hoping RVD goes to WWE for one last run.

Wrestlemania 30.

Punk Vs RVD id love to see that.

21. Truthsetmefree says:

Why is he wrong. I love Taker but if you were in his sot you may feel that way also. He has to carry this match. So let’s see if Punk is as good as claimed to be. If he is…the match will be great.