Photo: El Generico debuts without his mask

(photo credit: Sunset Flip Photography)

Rob Feinstein noted on Facebook:

El Generico made his official in ring debut for NXT tonight in Tampa, FL, under his real name, Rami Sebai. I heard he is doing a Jewish gimmick without the mas

Tags: , ,

1. Raym407 says:

Where is Colt Cabana???

2. Con Cara says:

He looks like the dude from Epic Meal Time.

Glad he ditched the Generico gimmick. Fake Mexican was a stupid (and borderline racist) gimmick.

3. Mr. Black says:

@Con Cara yeah really stupid gimmick that got him over and put him on the map in the independent scene. I think it’s a really dumb move. The el generico gimmick would appeal to hardcore fans because of his wrestling ability and he would appeal to children because he’s such a fun, goofy personality. They dropped the ball on this one.

4. Nick A says:

While I appreciate Con Cara’s point, Mr. Black has it. El Generico could have been a stupendous character to appeal to younger fans, especially in the wake of wrestlers like Rey Mysterio clearly approaching his retirement.

5. Kid Vicious says:

The El Generico character is no more racist than Roddy Piper playing a Scot. Jeez.
    It should be taken as a compliment. Like he’s an honourary luchadore because he’s that damn good.
    They should’ve stuck with El Generico.

6. -J- says:

oh well its wwe wygd?

7. VicVenom says:

@Kid Vicious …Roddy is a Scot (heritage-wise)

I want to say that I hate the WWE and their “Creative” Team, but that’s like saying I hate Cancer, just because I say it doesn’t stop it from killing things I love.

8. Kid Vicious says:

@Vic
    Heritage wise, yeah I am aware. But then everyone in the America’s has Non-American heritage if you go back far enough. Was Roddy’s dad Scottish? Nope. His mum? Nope. Was he born in Scotland? Nope. Then he’s not Scottish, he’s Canadian.

But who cares? He played a great character, no one cared that he wasn’t Scottish.
    My point is, that with the exception of a few overly sensitive people, the El Generico character is not racist.

9. Kerry says:

OLE’

10. Shockmaster Suplex says:

Could it be possible that Sebei had to relinquish the rights to the El Generico character and he refused?

11. Mr Bacon says:

looks like he’s not-so Generic-o lol

12. DBRude says:

@ Raym407 – I was thinking the same thing. Where’s his tag partner, Scotty Goldman?

13. cesar says:

WE WANT STEEN! WE WANT STEEN!

14. joe says:

You marks just be happy hes making some decent money for the first time in his life rather than getting paid $100 to get neckdropped in ROH.

15. Jon says:

He actually looks decent under the mask! I thought that he would look like a wild man …

16. Drew says:

;_; I miss the mask! Bring it back!

17. Matt says:

This was a house show. They had Del Rio do the exact same thing before choosing to debut him maskless. He worked house shows and FCW as both his masked and unmasked characters.

Nothing is certain until they make a decision. The fact he did this match even under his real name, is evidence it’s a test. You really think in this day and age they want people using their real names instead of a trademarkable one?

18. captloualbano420 says:

Colt and Rami, two Jews with attitudes…

they should at least keep the mask, even if they want/have to change his character, jewish dudes can wear masks…