Daily Discussion: Wrestling being dropped from the Olympics

Today’s topic: I doubt I would fine many that would agree with wrestling being dropped from the Olympics in 2020, but I am curious about your interest in amateur wrestling. Do you watch amateur wrestling or follow it at all?

Yesterday’s discussion – The Shield

Feel free to suggest a daily discussion topic at betweentheropes@hotmail.com

Tags:

1. Travis says:

Somebody needs to tie up and torture the IOC

2. david r. says:

I will be honest, I don’t watch amateur wrestling but then again, I don’t watch the Olympics. However, knowing that this sport was one of the originals, I concur with Travis’s assessment.

3. MC Live says:

I partake in armature wrestling, and I even find it hard to watch sometimes. But I still love the sport. The only other sports that are even on the same level of toughness are other combat sports like judo, boxing, ect ect… I mean, the Olympics exist basically because of wrestling. Wrestling is the oldest sport in the world. And if you have table tennis over wrestling, that’s like ABBA being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame before KISS. It’s disgraceful. (No offense to ABBA, but they’re not Rock and Roll) If you don’t understand wrestling it is tough to watch. But if you get it, it’s interesting to see on all levels. And besides, how are we suppose to watch it on TV, which was IOC criteria, if its only on at like 3 in the morning? But anyway, wrestling is a great sport, and provides for great inspirational stories, like Kurt Angle or Henry Cejudo (look him up). It’s also one of the most widely contested sports around the globe, and having the Olympics without wrestling is like having a musical without singing, or having John Cena without jorts. Wrestling is one of the greatest sports in the world, and deserves its spot on the Olympic stage!

4. Jroc says:

I will bet my house that it will be reinstated.

5. -J- says:

Its boring unless you’re really into it or wrestled in school, but its traditional but the olympics is about sponsorship and what “draws” to the corporate sponsors.

Personally I’d like to see wrestling stay both amateur and greco roman along with mma matches under the title of grappling maybe that would make it “draw” more ratings.

6. Greg says:

There are so many other sports that I can not bare to watch at the olympic games but why one of the earliers sports of the olympics! I was absolutely shocked that they would make this change, is Judo and Boxing?

7. -J- says:

*freestyle and greco roman that is.

8. Josh Dionio says:

I used to wrestle in school and enjoyed the one on one mentality of the sport. Without it, there’d be no WWE, NWA, etc. Lots of kids going through school that do wrestling just got screwed out of their big game.