Dana White: “This sport draws, wrestling doesn’t”

from BJpenn.com:

Following the news that shook the MMA world about the International Olympic Committee (IOC)’s decision to drop wrestling from the Olympic games, UFC President Dana White took little time to voice his thoughts.

“The problem is, nobody wants to watch it,” White said.

White mentioned that he has an understanding for the decision to cut wrestling, from a business standpoint, that it doesn’t draw numbers. White continued on about the problem with wrestling and why mixed martial arts is different.

Click here to read more

Tags: , ,

1. StunningSteve says:

Nobody watches half the Olympic sports. What it came down to was which sport lined the pockets of the IOC more. Apparently wrestling wasn’t willing to “campaign” the way the orginizations behind modern pentathalon were.

2. Alex says:

You just hit the nail on the head Black, we will watch when someone is going for gold in America. Forget everything else.

I think this is exactly what they were seeing.

3. Mr. Black says:

Don’t get me wrong, I will watch the Olympic Greco or freestyle finals regardless, but I was just using an American winning the gold as an example. For example, when Jeff Blatnick won the gold medal in the 70s, it was one of the greatest moments in Olympic history. Moments like that can happen again if they just gave wrestling a chance in primetime.

4. Scott says:

Remember Dana, guess what sport some of your talents come from. Cut that off, and that could mean a smaller talent pool for you.

5. Joey says:

It may be just me, but saying your sport is “mixed martial arts” doesn’t make that much sense when it’s mainly muay thai and brazilian jui jitsu. Much different from the times when there was taekwondo against wrestling and karate against jeet kune do.

6. Rhys says:

Of course Mr Durk, everyone who comments on these sites, except for you of course, is wrong right? Get off your high horse. Maybe the reason noone watched you as a wrestler is because you sucked. Where do you get off insulting everyone who uses their free speech to voice an opinion?

Dana White doesn’t care if wrestling is on the Olympics line up or not, he’s just using it as an opportunity to plug his product as usual. Don’t get me wrong, I like UFC, but Dana will always criticize to help his own product.

And I love how you call everyone a “know-it-all” but then go on to tell us all we’re kids and sitting in our house just bitching on the internet. How the hell do you know how old we are, what we do for a living etc? How do you know some of the people commenting aren’t wrestlers themselves, or even MMA fighters?

You don’t. So stop being a keyboard warrior just because some people actually disagree with something you think.

7. -J- says:

cheetos r gewd bro layoff…that being said hire vince mcmahon to take Olympic rasslin to the next level so it can “draw” and bring in that big payola that trumps tradition so corporate sponsors can be happy.

8. MIKEY. says:

So wrestling is no longer an event because it doesn’t draw???

Going on that logic, the only events that should be there are track and field, basketball, gymnastics, boxing, volleyball, tennis and soccer then right???

9. The Sheild says:

Too bad Dana doesn’t know crap about sports, all he knows is UFC, which seems partially worked now days anyway.

10. Shep says:

Dana White is a jackass….that is all

11. Evan says:

fat, bald, shell of a man. ufc is for idiots who wear affliction and ed hardy

12. Mr. Black says:

@Rhys do you have me mixed up with adurka durk, because I’m pretty sure I don’t berate everyone’s opinion on this site. I don’t like Dana white or his opinion, and I’m not hating on anyone else’s responses… I’m confused.